Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone else seen "Clones" yet?

Dave Bryce

Saw it yesterday. The boy has been lying in wait for it, and nothing short of opening day was good enough.

I have to admit - I really liked it. I thought it looked great, for the most part had a more than reasonable story, and did not get too caught up in the sappy love thing that I've been hearing so much chatter about.

Some other random thoughts:

I thought that most of it was darker in contrast to the last one - obviously targeting an older audience...

I loved the fact that Jar-Jar Binks is basically the patsy responsible for giving the Emperor his power.

Hayden Christiansen did leave me a bit lukewarm (no pun intended).

There were some shots of New CG Yoda that I thought looked a bit fake, but his battle scene kicked ass. Great touch...

By and large, I was surprised at how much better it was than I thought it would be.

Anyone else?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. :mad::cry::rolleyes:

They've decided not to release the movie here until July 5th.

Arghhhh

Why? They think nobody will go watch it before since everyone will be caught up with the world cup :D (probably not true, but still a funny theory)

As far as the 'dark mood', I think he tried to follow what he did with Empire Strikes Back.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I'm going tomorrow with some pals. I've heard good things, similar to what you've mentioned, from the three or four people I know who went on opening day.

By the way...I'm taking my son to his very first movie (in a theater) next weekend. Star Wars is a little deep for a not-quite-three year old, so we're checking out the new Dreamworks animated release Spirit. He saw it as a trailer to his Shrek video and seemed captivated by it. Marketing....sheesh.

I'm looking forward to the time when he's old enough that we'll be seeing movies we both want to check out.

- Jeff

All set to see it tomorrow (Saturday) with my 5-year old son (who's already a big Star Wars fan, but has never seen any of them at the movies yet).

Even if it sucks (which I'm sure it doesn't) It's gonna be a blast!

Originally posted by Rod CA:

As far as the 'dark mood', I think he tried to follow what he did with Empire Strikes Back.

Situation, Complication, Resolution.

That would make sense for the trilogy. Why mess with the age old Greek formula for Drama.

Sounds like Jar-Jar is going to get his comeuppance somewhere. :) He was just a pleasant annoyance in the first movie. I wonder if that will parallel the icky end of Jabba the Hutt?

I read somewhere that the next movie is going to be the last. Didn't Lucas originally plan a trilogy of trilogies? I would have like to have something like that to share with my son. He's still only three.

Jerry

First let me say that I am a huge Star Wars Fan!!!! It was great opening night because the crowd was WILD and EXCITED!!

I thought it was certainly better than Menace. The fight scenes were great, the story line is intersting and its Star Wars so it was great!

I do think the Love thing was over dramatized and so was the inner rage/forshadowing of young skywalker. They could have been much more subtle about the symbolization from a directoral approach. They don't have to just come out and say everything so blatantly. The audience will get it if you just let the story tell itself instead of treating the audience like it needs to be hand fed all of the clues to the characters motives and futures.

All and All it rocked.

Peace,

Fletch

Well, I 've JUST seen The Phantom Menace... :) The visuals are gorgeous, but the story is so silly and the acting so sappy that I really failed to get involved. But if someone insists enough, I'll go to see Clones too... :D

I saw it and LOVED it! I had very low expectations for it initially, but as the day/night grew closer I started to have a really good feeling about it.

I have to say that Empire is hands down my favorite episode out of the series. This movie is right behind it. If Hayden wasn't in it, I'd probably say it's a tie between the two. His acting was consistent with Jake Lloyd's, and I kind of think that was on purpose. But I wasn't feeling it at all. The action is great, particularly Jengo Fett and Yoda.

Go see it!

pEace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

My wife and I tried to go the day after opening night but was late so all the good seats was taken. Then I said f*** it! Let's watch it another time so we went out and exchanged the tickets for Unfaithful. I gotta tell you guys... Diane Lane is hotter than Jar Jar!!! :D

Originally posted by DeafMix:

... Diane Lane is hotter than Jar Jar!!!

Diane Lane is hotter than just about anyone in the movies these days. Her vulnerability just melted me...

Too bad Lucas can't figure out how to direct humans as well as his CGI characters...

Well, in total quite a good movie. The beginning was a bit slow, but when they went out on their "missions" things finally started to happen. Jengo Fett & his *** were my favorite characters. Perhaps because they were the only 'human' characters. Think they caught a glimpse of the original Star Wars feeling there.

Just saw it, enjoyed it immensely. I liked the first half better than the second half- great sets, sympathetic people. Very camp, that's cool too. Anikin's path to the dark side is going good and slow, with more complexities than you'd expect from the big pile of CGI cartoon-battle scenes, that's good too.

My wife likes Jar-Jar, so :P

-Bobro

It sucked less than Episode 1. There were some beautiful visuals, some moments when I wondered what time it was, some painfully bad dialogue and deliveries, and barely any characters I could care about. I don't buy Anikin becoming Vader from what we've seen so far. It WAS better than I expected, but not up to previous standards.

I'm a critic. This is the same man who gave us "THX 1138" for god's sake...where is the human struggle...

Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

i saw it on opening day. there was no line and the theatre wasn't packed. just a lot of kids who probably ditched school to see it during the day. i'm sure i could sit here and nit-pick at it, but overall i liked it.

Great Movie. Great Fun.

Could have done without Anakin and Padme rolling around on the grass, and the special FX are so slick and so omnipresent that at times it's almost too much.

But I liked it. Real nice plot development (and complexity - I'd go on but don't want to give too much away). Good to see some jabs between the main characters again (like in the original trilogy).

I think I'm gonna have to go see it again!

Originally posted by peake@pacificnet.net:

I don't buy Anikin becoming Vader from what we've seen so far.

Agreed, based on what we've seen for now. But the only thing Lucas is on record saying about Episode III is that it will be the darkest Star Wars movie of the series, so I'm looking forward to some major dark side action then.

When does that come out? Maintaining the same rate as the last two, I'd say Summer 2004 or so. Anyone know for sure?

- Jeff

I also saw it on opening day and I thought it was really good. Like it was said earlier, it is better than Episode I. My favorite line was when Obi said to Anikin "You're going to be the death of me" Thought that was great.

Did anyone catch a glimpse of Zebulba's (sp?) cameo?

Sound Designer,

Red Storm Entertainment

Originally posted by lrbreez:

Someone asked when is Episode II coming out on Video? It will be out this fall.

Someone else asked if Stars Wars was three trilogies? No

Buddy

Actually the three trilogies was the original plan. Seems like the plans for and episode 7,8,9 are a big ?. Last I heard it was a no go.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

So, when did Lucas lose the ability to write dialog? There's not a memorable line in movie. I think he's washed up. I wish someone else would write the next one. No much hope there, though.

All in all, though, I thought it was decent, certainly better than the last one. The acting isn't much better. I ended up regretting the amount of screen time Padme and Anakin get. Who told those kids they can act? Ok, maybe it's the writing.

Decent special effects. Nice mattes. The second half of the movie is well paced. The first half is nothing but plot exposition except for an entertaining flying car chase (in which we learn that Jedis can fly or at least control the speed of their falling -- neat trick).

Recommended for Star Wars fans. Other people: wait for cable.

Originally posted by Postman:

So, when did Lucas lose the ability to write dialog?

:D:D:D:D

couldn't agree more. Wasn't Spielberg in on the Star wars episode 4-6?. Don't know, but some Indiana Jones style dialog would be much appreciated.

I had always heard that Episodes 7, 8, and 9 were not Lucas's idea, but I might be wrong. What would these Episodes be about?

Buddy

I couldn't tell you exactly what they would be about, but the story does continue. There are some great graphic novels by Tim Veitch- Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empire's End . These stories pick up right after the ROTJ. They are very good, and keep the authentic feel of Star Wars a lot better than the prequels.

Jedi

Way too into this Star Wars sh#! I am.

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Originally posted by Postman:

So, when did Lucas lose the ability to write dialog?

No, no, you're all confused. See, this was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. At the time, that was considered exciting and entertaining dialog. Lucas is merely staying true to the period in which the movie is set. :D

- Jeff

Archived