Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yammy AN-200 v. Electribe-A

chris c

Does anybody have any opinions to share on the Yamaha AN-200 desktop control synth and/or the Electribe-A? I'm looking for something w/ analog-ish sounds and a built in sequencer to use in my home setup and that I can also take to make music when I'm traveling (can't afford a laptop studio right now). EA-1 is supposed to be fun, and is cheaper of the two by about $100 ... but its only 2 track right? As opposed to four? How's the sound quality compare? And ease of use (very important!)

Anyone whose familiar with both, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,

chris

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely the AN-200. Electribe A is cool, but I prefer the sounds and 4-track capability of the AN 200 to the EA. They may be discontinued soon b/c the price has dropped from around $650 to $399. Either that or Yamaha will release a newer version. If you can get it at $399 - go for it - it sounds great!

The EA-1 is more immediate but the AN is more capable, with a broader palette.

It really depends on your appetite for detail work, and how much mileage you hope to get out of the device.

Regards,

Jerry

The AN200 is going for 399? Wow. I think I paid 240 for my plg AN card. For 150 more I would have bought the AN200. Is the DX200 going for the same price?

I would take the AN200 personally; I think the O/S of the Korg may be better, but I find the AN sounds better, and you have more options (Some 'regular' voices to go along)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Rod CA:

The AN200 is going for 399? Wow. I think I paid 240 for my plg AN card. For 150 more I would have bought the AN200. Is the DX200 going for the same price? ...

Yes, both Yamaha's have been going for this price for quite some time now. The Electribe A can be found for around $250 making both a very good deal.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

One more thing, while the AX200 is almost as cheap as the expansion card, and the Electrib Z is cheaper than the Kord modeling expansion card, they don't don't make use of the same effects units and D/A converters found in the high end keyboards. For this reason if you bought the Yamaha card you are probably better off sound wise.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The AN is going for $399?

That's the price at GC now as well as most on-line etailers. Rod, on your ALT SYNTH site you say there are glitches in the AN's sequencer though. Where is that info. from? Users, yamaha, word of mouth...more importantly, has it been fixed? I was thinking maybe that's why the price was cut for the AN and DX. I am considering buying the AN and that tidbit troubled me a little. Do you know what the current scoop is (I'm assuming it's your website b/c it's in your signature, disregard post if it's not. BTW, really cool site, lots of potential :):thu: ) ~nel

Originally posted by nelz:

The AN is going for $399?

That's the price at GC now as well as most on-line etailers. Rod, on your ALT SYNTH site you say there are glitches in the AN's sequencer though. Where is that info. from? Users, yamaha, word of mouth...more importantly, has it been fixed? I was thinking maybe that's why the price was cut for the AN and DX. I am considering buying the AN and that tidbit troubled me a little. Do you know what the current scoop is (I'm assuming it's your website b/c it's in your signature, disregard post if it's not. BTW, really cool site, lots of potential :):thu: ) ~nel

Man, these are the times I hate being in brazil. Gear is too darn expensive. I might still ask a friend to pick one up, try it out and have someone bring it over. Anything under $500 can be brought tax free, so it would fit the bill.

I've heard that more than one place. I'll dig up the info I have Nel, and post here.

And yes, the site is mine, thanks for checking it out.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

OK, here we go Nel. From keyboard mag review,

My only reservations are their lack of a polyphonic synth track in the sequencer and their tendency to choke the first note of a new sequence when playing it the first time. If you're not doing R&B or another style that cries out for chords, the first item probably won't hinder you. I imagine the second item will bother most musicians -- if we put a note on the downbeat, it's there for a reason. Composers often have to contend with cantankerous musicians. Don't sell us a disobedient machine. We hope Yamaha will exterminate this bug -- and fast -- in a future OS.
http://archive.keyboardonline.com/demos/an200_dx200/index.shtml

From Harmony central user review

Now for the sequencer- the Achilles' heel of the DX-200 imho.

First off: there is a well-publicized bug in the two loopfactory synths (DX-200 and AN-200) where the first note of a pattern is clipped off whenever you switch patterns in a song. How a bug this serious could slip by the guys at Yamaha is beyond me. Hopefully it's possible to upgrade the OS on these things, otherwise this unit is next to useless to me as a standalone.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Yamaha/DX-200-01.html

Hope this helps

MBP-LOGIC

Archived