Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB or PCI?

skynare

Hello everyone.

What kind of audio interface is better--USB(firewire) or PCI?

I guess most of you are using PCI audio card but thesedays there are some USB or firewire audio interfaces. So, have you tried one of those easy-install-interfaces?

Are they good? Usuable? Comparision with PCIs?

Thanks.

S K Y N A R E

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mathematically speaking, PCI has a lot more throughput available to it. However, USB 2.0 and Firewire A (due for an upgrade soon) both have enough theoretical bandwidth for oodles of tracks of audio. At this point, I feel that the main issues are compatibility and reliability, which are bound to be a bit shakier with new technologies and new uses thereof.

I believe that Nika (a much more well known forum member than myself) is running a decent live-recording rig that uses a MOTU firewire interface. This is significant because Nika is a professional's profeesional, and I don't believe that any tolerance would exist for a piece of equipment that didn't perform. (Ask Nika for an explanation about something dealing with digital audio... I dare ya.)

My best advice would be to research which interfaces have the features that you want, and then research any compatibility issues that those interfaces may have with your motherboard, and/ or firewire controller, and/ or USB controller.

-Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

Archived