Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While it's nice to have those "DUDE YOU ROCK!" moments and gaggles of hot teen groupies, I know that my music doesn't appeal to everyone. Here's the way I see it: I make the music I want to hear, and I don't worry if others don't like it. I figure if I like it, SOMEONE is bound to like it as well. I play and write for myself and these people. Hell, for years nobody "got" what we did, and we played to blank stares, clueless expressions and some outright hostility from time to time. But we're like an old building or an old whore -- we stuck around long enough to be respected, so even if people don't like what we're doing, they can't say we're not good at it. If they still don't like it or accept it, fuck em. I can't be worried about the general publics' shortcomings as music listeners. For these folks, their lack of taste in music is only surpassed by their inadequacy in the sexual arena.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I do care.. same ways like I care when women approve of my look or clothing and people approve of my humor. But I don't change my music/Look/humore to please. If you like it , cool - if not tough! for me as much as for you. Actualy with music, if people don't get it it's because they are stupid and shllow and.... (fill in the rest) Try for your self : did you get it?!

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

[quote]Originally posted by T.H.: [b]NO the way I see it, the stuff people dont get actually becomes the GREATEST STUFF EVER HEARD and the stuff they do get, eventually becomes a ONE HIT WONDER --- If it's genuine, people can tell[/b][/quote]How can people tell it's genuine if they aren't getting it? :confused:

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

if its some cat whose only into the latest chart shit that the media told them to like then they can go f*ck off trying to be critical, but from the opinions of musician i care for alot.
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

I'd be lying if I said I don't care. At the same time, I do think that it's most important that I like it. The way I see it...playing guitar reveals a little bit of yourself, so it's hard to expose your weaknesses in public. Singing is even harder, because that reveals even more of yourself. But to me, the hardest is to play guitar and sing something [i]you wrote[/i], because that's getting into what's really deep inside you, and if people say that sucks, that goes right through you. Now, don't get me wrong, nobody's always going to like everything you write. And that's okay. Some folks I've played my stuff for prefer the stuff I think is so-so, and don't care for the stuff I think is good. C'est la vie...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I think that the best writers write music that people want to hear and progressively add in elements of their own. Pretty soon, the audience is listening to all original ideas and enjoying it just as much. I'm a bass player- I play whatever anyone wants me to play, but I've got solo and side projects for the necessary creative release.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b] Here's the way I see it: I make the music I want to hear, and I don't worry if others don't like it. I figure if I like it, SOMEONE is bound to like it as well. I play and write for myself and these people.[/b][/quote]Yeah, what he said. :) "Other people" is such a vague term. I certainly don't expect everyone to like what I do, and if the majority of the six billion other people in the world either don't like my music or don't care about it one way or the other, that's OK. :D So I never write or play music based on what "other people" will like, it's based only on what I and my bandmates like. However, there are certain people whom I know "get" what I'm trying to do, and therefore their opinions hold more weight with me (for better or worse). Also, I tend to agree with T.H.'s comment that if you have a big hit, the chances of it being the dumbest song in your repertoire are pretty high. Whereas when I go to see some of my favorite artists who have something of a "cult" status, like Richard Thompson for example, he doesn't fill stadiums but the people who do go to his shows are a cut above, they're really listening, and really appreciate and understand what he does. And I'd much rather have that kind of crowd than a stadium full of drunks screaming for my equivalent of "Freebird" while talking on their cell phones.

I love it and am very flattered when people like my music, but I have enough confidence in it to know that it's good when people don't.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]I love it and am very flattered when people like my music, but I have enough confidence in it to know that it's good when people don't.[/b][/quote]Good one Ken. That about sums it up for me as well. - DJDM

FUCK'EM. FUCK'EM. FUCK'EM. I wish I could believe that when someone doesn't dig my stuff. I don't want to care when someone's not into my stuff, but I do. Not too long ago, my drummer's girlfriend told him all of our stuff sounds the same. OUCHH! That stung like a mother. Then, I thought "How many Afghan Whigs albums that this girl own, Has she ever even heard of Sunny Day Real Estate, shit Can she spot one U2 song for all it's worth." Rationalizing these things are very good attempts to make me feel better, very good ATTEMPTS. Seriously, I do find that I'm caring less and less as I get older and more confident in my own abilities. That's the beauty about making art. We live in a paradox of love and fear, acceptance and rejection. All of our works are born from these things. I would argue that the most inspiring work stands right in the damn middle of this dichotomy. Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Hey, according to the poll results I care less than anybody so far! I guess that makes sense since it's been almost 20 years since I was in a band and played shows. I'm writing and recording with another friend of mine, working on a CD simply to say we did it and it's ours. We don't even have any plans to try selling them. Still, I do care at least a little bit. We've played some works-in-progress for people at work and have actually gotten some complements, and that feels pretty good. And my wife, who is a classically-trained clarinetist, isn't into the style but is impressed that I can come up a CD of original music. She's a much better trained musician than I'll ever be, but she has never done anything like this. Actually, my five-year-old son is probably our biggest fan. He usually only listens to kids' music, but lately he's been asking to hear CDs I made as test mixes. He doesn't care if the mix is poor, the songs aren't yet complete, etc., so instead of throwing the CDs out when I'm done I just leave some in the car. I really get a kick out of hearing something like "Dad, can we listen to Joyride?" when we're driving. Beats the heck out of the his CDs.

--------------------

Dave O.

I don't care and I even understand that musical taste is an individual thing. My best buddy (not a musician, a lousy sense of rhythm, a tin ear and a voice to match!) may not hate my music but I can tell he's only being polite when I play a new song for him. I have to say that what I have been writing lately is mostly slow melodic stuff. It ain't party music...unless it's a very, very private party. ;) But, I played a cut for another friend last weekend and he was incredibly entheusiastic about it. He begged the unfinished test CD from me to take home and play for his wife. That made me feel good. So, while I don't really care, it is gratifying when someone offers praise. After all, I write to express some emotion and when I see the effects of my work on someone who is appreciative, it makes my work worth it. BTW - Coming soon on this forum, a link or two to some of my work! :)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

I like to dichotomize my musical persona. Sometimes I'm an artist, but mostly I consider myself an entertainer. When I'm an artist, I just play my music and don't really think about how it's being received. If someone "gets" it and appreciates what I'm doing, that's great. If they don't, I don't get too upset because most of my "artist" material is supposed to be edgy and a bit inaccessible. [b]BUT...[/b] When I'm in entertainer mode, my only job on stage is to entertain people. I need to make them feel good, dance, scream, have sex in the bathroom (or in front of the stage :eek: ), buy drinks, CD's and T-shirts. Generally make them go home happy, drunk, sweaty, and wanting to come back next time. If these things aren't happening, then I'm not doing my job and I need to change what I'm doing in order to facilitate that.
-Matt M

I care one hell of a lot. However, I don't take it personal anymore. Hell, it's just a job... To try an explanation, I do care what people think about my music, song writing, performances & etc. but I don't dwell on it. I used to be so much concerned about how people felt about what I was doing that I'd not play for quite a long time after a negative experience. Now, it's "Ah, what the hell, they can't do any better". :rolleyes:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Of course I care but I also consider what that person likes. For example, my brother listens to all of my stuff and hes honest but he also has alot of different tastes than I do but just last night he heard a new version of a song I did and he noticed I forgot to throw in the upper harmony on the chorus. DUH... He said it was dissappointing not to hear it. Obviously I want everyone to absolutely love my stuff and call me a GENIUS. Doesn`t always happen though:) Ernest

Archived