Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis SQ8.1 OR Yamaha S80 - Which to Get?

Hello there. I was wondering if you could help me decide between the Alesis or Yamaha. I need it to write songs/lay tracks. I don't know much about keyboards, so you are "in the know" I would appreciate your opinion on these keyboards.

Also, What are the Pro's and Con's of having a sequencer built in (Yamaha) or not (Alesis). Even if I get the Yamaha I will still have to buy the MIDI interface, sound card, Q-base/Cakewalk, etc. etc. anyway because I want music notation via software. Question is, (money being a factor) should I just get the Alesis and sequence via computer or get the Yamaha anyway?

Thank you.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let your ears decide; SOUND is the one and only thing that counts.

Because of the $$, consider this:

The Alesis comes with a cd-rom with some nice (Emagic Logic) sequencing software. The Alesis has a build in serial bus. The only accessory you need is a serial cable...

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

I have not played an Alesis enough to have an opinion, but I can voice a strong favorable opinion of the S80, which I use as my master keyboard controller in my little home setup. As a pianist by training, I love the feel of the keyboard (the action is pretty heavy, though, so try it for yourself and compare to the Alesis) and the quality of the sounds is excellent, especially the grand piano, the electric pianos and other keyboard instruments (although I'm not wild about the rock organs). Synth (leads, pads, fx) sounds are excellent, too.

To correct something, however, the S80 does not have a sequencer built in. For that, you'd have to go with the Motif.

Also, in response to the previous post, like the Alesis, the Yamaha also comes with some software bundled (a version of Yamaha's XG works sequencing package, including a voice editor) and an instrument specific version of emagic's Soundiver (works with Yamaha CS6x and S80 only).

Either way, I bet you'll be happy, but definitely check out the S80. Its a great board.

Chris

No brainer for me. Being familiar with both, I'll take the s80 any day. Better sounds (overall), better keybed (personal choice in any case), more thorough programming, more interesting expandability, better master keyboard.

As chris said, the S80 comes with a nice bundle that will get you started.

And yes, it also has a serial interface, which actually works for newer windows O/S's, as opposed to the alesis, whose driver doesn't seem to work for anything past win 95 (maybe 98, but definitely not NT or 2000).

The alesis can be had cheaper these days, though.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Well i think that if you can afford the S80 is the best choice, THERE IS NO WAY of comparing it´s sounds to alesis. Have any of you tried the alese QS 8.2? what are the diferences. Also the action of the S80 is one of the best available. I also am deciding between these two boards and others, besause i have sold my 01/W and I have nothing now. I am considering the Alesis just for the $$$, but if i could ill buy a S80, A pc2X(we have one in our church and it is greaT), or a XV88.
Rebuilding My Self

Originally posted by Rod CA:

And yes, it also has a serial interface, which actually works for newer windows O/S's, as opposed to the alesis, whose driver doesn't seem to work for anything past win 95 (maybe 98, but definitely not NT or 2000).

The Roland drivers work as well for the Alesis QS 8.1...

I managed to get the Roland driver to work on NT.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by LatinMusic:

Have any of you tried the alese QS 8.2? what are the diferences.

Forget the 8.2! :eek: In spite of the number, it's actually a diluted version of the 8.1, but it's selling for the same price! :confused: The 8.2 omits aftertouch, as well as several aux outputs. The 8.1 is by far a better bargain.

Other than that, the choice between the QS8.1 and the S80 is for your ears to decide. :)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

I've played both extensively and find the S80 superior in all respects (except no digital outs), but that's just my opinion and it may be more because I own the S80 and so I'm a little more familiar with it.

-Casey

Archived