Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help with my site.. check it out.

Rod S

OK, this is SPAM :D (hey, at least I'm honest) But I need help, and I figured the content I have here *may* possibly be useful to someone at some point... So here we go.

http://cariocasynthman.tripod.com/

I recently started a new web site based on an idea I've had for some time now. I've built up the site with some miscellaneous info that I think is missing from sites (no point duplicating), for better or for worse :) , which I think a lot of synth enthusiasts may find useful. Content is still scarce, and before I spent too much time with this, I would like some general feedback. These are the information I'm including.

Synth Programming tricks - Too broad a topic to go into detail of every possiblity, but I wanted to list a few cool tricks (subtractive synthesis kind of stuff - no funky FM stuff!)

Synth Performance tricks - For any Jan Hammer wannabe's ;) - no content here either. Tusker had a recent thread so I have something to start with.

Synth Maintenance Tips - What to do to clean that key contact that's giving you trouble.

Buyer Beware Section - I'm trying to make a list ranging from products that are floating around in the used market which do not function as advertised, or that have buggy OS (which have been updated and not). I know I could have used this information when buying equipment in the past, so I figured others may have a use for it.

And last but not least, the 'fun section':

Stupid Synth Tricks, grammar errors, and such - A while ago we had a thread about this.. hopefully I can dig up some more, because this stuff is funny...

Eventually I'll try to move the content to a 'real' site, but for the time being I'm using one of the free sites, so I have to deal with ads.

Also, feel free to make general comments about the contents of the website. I know that are some gross formatting errors, but I'm learning as I go along.. please bear with me :) If you think the site sucks, please tell that too, since I'll stop wasting time then ;)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rodrigo, I don't think that sharing a non-profit labor of love with forum members is spamming. Personally, as a keyboard player, I thank you for the effort!

While forums like this are a fantastic resource, there's something to be said for more organized repositories of information. I think that your focus on filling in the gaps of information missing from other sites is a great idea!

I only had time to browse your site, but I like the categories and layout. I've bookmarked it, and I'll visit again! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Originally posted by soapbox:

While forums like this are a fantastic resource, there's something to be said for more organized repositories of information. I think that your focus on filling in the gaps of information missing from other sites is a great idea!

Thanks for checking it out, Geoff.

My goal in the long run is to compile information from this forum into the web site. I had some time this weekend to get it started, now that I got the ball rolling I can just start fixing things and adding info.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

yo, pretty cool site. Love the pictures of your home studio. One day I hope to have that amount of equipment. Only have my P80. One thing would be really useful. If you could start a synth beginners topic. I have absolutely no experience with synths and would like to buy one some day. However, right now I'm sorta intimidated by all the features.

Keep up the good work. I'll check the site out from time to time.

Originally posted by Rod CA:

OK, this is SPAM :D (hey, at least I'm honest) But I need help, ...

No. If this was your first post it might be considered spam. When a regular is working on a project, wants ideas, and wants a bit of noterity it is more like friendly conversation.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Hey Rod, nice site. Surfed around a bit, that's pretty cool stuff about the hidden voices in the Jx-3p, etc... Didn't know that.

Keep up the good work.

Albert

PS: About your website address, I noticed the word "carioca" in it... What does that mean?

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Thanks for checking out the site, Albert.

Originally posted by tuttorney:

PS: About your website address, I noticed the word "carioca" in it... What does that mean?

By definition, the term 'carioca' means someone native of Rio de Janeiro, here in Brazil (kind of like the term new yorker). There's more to the slang than just the definition, though; carioca's take great pride of being from Rio - this is a interesting place to live with a lot of idiosynchrasies. I thought about using that nickname in the internet a while back; when I decided to create the website, I decided to use that as my 'webmaster' handle. I'm not sure of the origin of the term however.

Several years ago, an american writer who had spent some time living in Rio wrote a book called 'How to be a carioca' (late 80's I think). The older generation (>35) didn't think it was too funny, but the younger generation thought it was hilarious and write on the money. I consider it a mixture of Miami, LA beach, and SF, a bizarre mixture of a modern metropolis with beautiful scenery and the reminder we are still a third world country with a lot of poverty.

Ok, I got just a little carried away. :)

MBP-LOGIC

I'm starting to feel like alphajerk.. posting like a madman. Being having this weird insomnia the past 3 days.. anyways.

Originally posted by CP:

One thing would be really useful. If you could start a synth beginners topic. I have absolutely no experience with synths and would like to buy one some day. However, right now I'm sorta intimidated by all the features.

You know, I did exactly this for the portuguese site I'm working on. I'm assuming this info exists in english, but then again I can't think of any. I'll try to post some links when I get a chance. Thanks for checking it out.

MBP-LOGIC

Archived