Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Interface, which one?

RaGe

Sup y'all! I've out grown my MOTU Pocket Express and I'm hunting for one with more OUTs ...

Is Midex8 living up it's expectations? (I've heard many people not too happy with it) ... What about the 8x8 Midiman?

I am concerned about timing issues ... so which one do u use and how do u like it?

Thanks a bunch.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Motu MicroExpress has 4 ins/outs. The AVP Timepiece has 8. If you're using MOTU software, I'd go with one of those. I am still using the microexpress, but will eventually upgrade to the AVP (when finances allow). I have never experienced any audible lateny with the micro and I do use all four midi devices simultaneously. I highly recommend it, at 250, the price is hard to beat. ~nel

RaGe, as Nel alluded to above, you should buy a MIDI interface that is made by the same company that manufactures your sequencing software ... that is, if you use Digital Performer, Logic Audio, or Cubase VST. MOTU, Emagic, and Steinberg have all made MIDI interfaces that create the tightest timing with their products. Digidesign will also be releasing such an interface for use with ProTools soon.

On the Mac side of the equation, I've been told that the advantages these interfaces hold will be lost as companies migrate their products to OS X. At that time, special integration with software will no longer be needed to create great timing.

RaGe, if we knew which sequencer and platform you used, perhaps we could better help.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Looks like MOTU is widely used

Yup. And I want an MTP/AV so badly that I can't even call it by the right name.

AVP Timepiece

Too bad there's no graemlin for 'duh'. Please forgive my moment of dyslexia...but you know what they say; dyslexics have more fnu :D

RaGe, as Nel alluded to above, you should buy a MIDI interface that is made by the same company that manufactures your sequencing software ...
I agree with that. I never got my MOTU FastLane USB to work with Logic (didn't get it to work at all :mad: but heard it should be an OK interface). I've got an Emagic MT4 now (AMT8 is its big brother) and this one works great with Logic.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Archived