Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would you buy a CX-3 for a midi controller?

Dr Teeth

I went to my local music store, and the guy at there told me a bad and a good new:

The Bad: They dont have any Kurzweil (I was looking for a SP 88x), and they are not planning to bring another one any more, because the prices are burning!!!, 8 Quetzales (guatemala´s coin)= 1 Dollar. But the worst, if i would buy it from sweetwater or something, they wont have technical support for kurzweil any more!, that is freaking, to have a board that when something goes wrong, all is gone and there is no chance to survive.

The Good: They have the last CX3 and they are giving it for $1500. Yes, that is right... And the guy told me that it sendes midi velocity, so i can use it to trigger notes (that is the only when feature indispensable for my in a controler).

The question: Would ytou buy a CX3 for controlling?

Rebuilding My Self

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only if you want the CX3 for the sound. There are much, much better controllers. On the low end Roland has the 76 note controller with no sound that is nice. The Alesis is a nice controller. So is the Motu. The Motu can be set up to control your midi sequencer and the sliders can be used as faders. As a controller I would prefer a TritonLE over the CX3 any day.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

As a controller? No, I wouldn't. Too heavy, too expensive and no pitch or mod wheels.

It's a great Organ synth (don't get me wrong) and $1500 is a really good price for it. However, it is NOT the optimum controller you can get.

Starting under $100 you can get yourself an Evolution dedicated MIDI controller. Their best ones go for just over $200.

This way you get a lightweight, affordable controller (made for the purpose) with wheels and on some assignable knobs.

Carl

I think all the controller capabilities and options are overrated. I would love to have a CX3. I think go for it. If you don't need a lightweight controller for gigging or if you don't need piano-like keys, getting a board with good sounds is the way to go. I have a Roland A80 88key controller (great piano action, no sounds) and an A33 (76keys semi-weighted, no sounds, very light), and I think if I were to do over again I would get keys that has sounds already in them.
Raul

Originally posted by Rabid:

There are much, much better controllers. On the low end Roland has the 76 note controller with no sound that is nice. The Alesis is a nice controller. So is the Motu. Robert

Which controllers or keyboards are best at 'MIDI channel~splits "on ~ the ~ fly " ' ? Not just dividing the keyboard into regions, but consistently applying some kind of logic so , say, the top note in the right hand is on channel 8, bass note is always channel 1, etc . . . ? It's for analogue synthesizers, so I have to be 'conservative' with polyphany . . .

Archived