Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DP Upgrade info...(Dave, Geoff?)

Intheether

When upgrading from DP 2.7 to 3.0, did you experience any problems? What about third party plug-ins, did you have to re-install or were they immediatly recognized? Any other issues with latency, drivers, etc...? I get panicy whenever I upgrade to a newer version esp. when the previous one runs fine...I just can't resist the 18 new plugins, audio/midi in the same window, unlimited undos. Thanks for your insight. :) ~nel

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I upgrade to 3.0 quite a while ago. It was seamless & easy. At the time I also upgraded my hard drive from a 5200rpm to a 7200 rpm. It actually made 3.0 seem faster than it is. In other words, it does run slower, but if you have a newer machine, this won't matter. Input quantize doesn't seem to work. Over all the new features make it a must upgrade. A really good forum to learn more is here

http://www.unicornation.com

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

In other words, it does run slower

Steve:

How so? Audio latency...less plug-ins, screen redraws? This troubles me as 2.7 runs perfectly smooth on my 256/500. Is more Ram needed than this?

Also, did you have to reinstall any plug-ins (I have Waves, pluggo)? I have unicornation in my favorites folder, already, but I've noticed some of the 'big cheeses' ;) here use dp 3.0 and am interested in their experience with it.

Nel, although I had a lot of problems after upgrading to Digital Performer 3.0, I eventually discovered that the issue was a corrupted system folder. Once I replaced my system folder, DP 3 ran fine; and it still does. For that reason, I haven't updated to 3.01 or 3.02. Initially, I kept DP 2.7 on another partition of my Mac; so while I was annoyed by my DP 3 troubles, they didn't inconvenience me.

A lot depends on your Mac. I have a 500 MHz single processor G4 with 576 MB of RAM, running OS 9.2. While the software is slower to engage after I hit "Play" or "Record" than it was in DP 2.7, I got used to the comparative sluggishness very quickly; and I'm happy that I upgraded. In other words, while it is comparatively slow, I would not otherwise call DP 3 sluggish when running on my Mac. Slower Macs may have a problem though.

As I recall, some people's setups had problems with windows suddenly going blank in 3.0. I believe that 3.01 solved this for them. However, there were problems with the 3.01 upgrade that was initially posted at MOTU's site. I think it removed some of the old MAS plug-ins without substituting new ones. The currently posted 3.01 update probably no longer does this; but I thought I should give you a heads up, just in case. Also, I believe that people with the newest dual processor Macs had some problems that were fixed by the 3.02 update.

Again, I'm happy that I upgraded. The upgrade is worth it for the new plug-ins alone. I don't recall having to reinstall any third party plug-ins either. I have found other new features, such as the independent sizing of tracks, useful as well. Once the 3.1 update arrives, I would describe DP 3.1 as a must have upgrade over 2.7.

Good luck with your purchase Nel.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

My 2 cents.

In my case, after upgrading to 3.01 from 2.72 everything went faster. Screen redraws, plugins, tracks, etc... and the reason was that I run my setup on a dual processor 500. So, to me the upgrade was fantastic. I think the UI is much improved over 2.72. Midi and audio tracks are viewable in the same window, and can be custom sized. For me 3.0's use of the second processor was well worth the price of admission.

I second soapbox's comments about 3.1 being a must. Can't disagree with that, especially that as I understand it, it will be a free upgrade to owners of version 3.0.

Good luck

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Originally posted by soapbox:

I too am confident that 3.1 will be a free update for 3.0 users. I'm pretty sure that MOTU announced at Winter NAMM that this would be the case.

When I upgraded to 3.0 in January, MOTU customer support confirmed that 3.1 will be free to 3.0 owners. The question is, "when will it be out?" Allegedly, it was March, but now it's May. I'm eager to get it now that I have ReCycle 2.0.

BTW, my upgrade from 2.71 to DP3 was a breeze, too.

Originally posted by nelz:

In other words, it does run slower

Steve:

How so? Audio latency...less plug-ins, screen redraws? This troubles me as 2.7 runs perfectly smooth on my 256/500. Is more Ram needed than this?

I never noticed because I upgraded my HD at the same time. I heard the graphics were a bit slower but with a fairly good machine like yours, it won't be a factor. I don't think I adjusted my buffer settings. I think they remained the same. Ram gives you more tracks not speed. With ram being cheap & if you can afford it, buy another 256megs.

Also, did you have to reinstall any plug-ins (I have Waves, pluggo)?
Again because of setting up a new HD, I was installing everything fresh. If it were me I would delete or, if the DP2.7 CD allows you, to uninstall 2.7 & everything related to it (Waves, Pluggo, Motu extensions, Free Midi) & do a complete new installation. I think the only thing to make note of is buffer settings. Of course you'll have to set up a New File & things that are preference-like you'll have to reset. Things like Enabling Automation, etc. As I said the new features like editing midi & audio in the same sequence editor window make it worth any inconvenience or trouble. Good luck!!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

You guys are the best! Thanks for your detailed answers. I have had major problems in the past upgrading to newer software versions - from not reading my cd burner to vst programs knocking out my mas drivers. It's very frustrating but I can no longer resist the new features of 3.0+ so I am taking the plunge as a birthday present to myself.

If it were me I would delete or, if the DP2.7 CD allows you, to uninstall 2.7 & everything related to it (Waves, Pluggo, Motu extensions, Free Midi) & do a complete new installation

That does sound like a great idea but both Waves and Pluggo have that irritating (however justified) copyright protection that when you reinstall you need permission as they think you may be adding it to an unauthorized machine. Worst comes to worst, I'll do a clean install and just e mail tech support at both companies explaining why. I'll be sure to check the bufferes, ext. folders, configs. etc...when I do the upgrade. Thanks again, Steve, Geoff, Dave, Albert, Mzeger &Ernest :wave: ~nel

Archived