Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sigh. *Another* QS8.1 bug?

b3fiend

After almost 3 years, my QS is really starting act up. Last month was the "falling out of tune" bug.

Now, the sustain pedal refuses to work suddenly. I have plugged in 3 known working sustain pedals, rebooted, and the sustain just doesn't work anymore. I have also performed a reset (boot with 0-3). No dice.

Has anyone run into this QS bug-of-the-month flavor yet?

Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I have one.

My qsr refuses to do bank changes from cakewalk. I can't figure out why. It will change the patch but not the bank. When I reset it, it works, and then two days later it doesn't work again. It's been happening for about a week now, hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to take a look at it more closely.

I don't have any advice on your pedal problem, though.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Rod CA:

My qsr refuses to do bank changes from cakewalk. I can't figure out why.

Switch off GM mode in Global.

About the pedal problems: is the connector input broke? Maybe one of your collegue-musicians stepped on the cable...

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

My qsr refuses to do bank changes from cakewalk. I can't figure out why. It will change the patch but not the bank. When I reset it, it works, and then two days later it doesn't work again. It's been happening for about a week now, hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to take a look at it more closely.

Here's a guess...most of the problems that I remember hearing regarding bank changes had to do with an application or piece of hardware that were not sending the proper CC#. There are two different CC #s that are commonly used for bank change messages. One is 0, and the other is 32. The QSR responds to 0; so, to select bank 3, you would send CC#0 , value 3.

I have no idea what's going on w/Cakewalk, but that might not be a bad place to check - maybe it has some sort of default? I dunno...

Re: the sustain pedal thing - I've actually not heard that one before. I'm guessing that you're sure the pedals themselves work...

In trying to find a solution, I did just find out something else interesting, though...I tried seeing if I could plug the sustain pedal into Pedal 1 and reassign it to CC#64 (sustain). That should work, and it doesn't. Same result with Pedal 2. I'm actually a bit surprised that didn't work...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

I too have had problems with this in the past. Cakewalk allows you to set the bank change type (as Dave described above) through the Intruments interface, but it was always a little fishy for me on my QS8.

BTW - I haven't encountered any of the problems that QS 8.1 owners seem to be having (I have the original QS 8). Am I lucky, or are these problems specific to the 8.1?

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I tried seeing if I could plug the sustain pedal into Pedal 1 and reassign it to CC#64 (sustain). That should work, and it doesn't. Same result with Pedal 2. I'm actually a bit surprised that didn't work...

dB

It should work when you use an expression pedal...
:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by Pim:

My qsr refuses to do bank changes from cakewalk. I can't figure out why.

Switch off GM mode in Global.

Thanks, but this is not the problem. I checked just in case. I never use GM Mode so I unless there was a glitch it should be on.

The problem is it doesn't change banks, it's not that it's stuck in the GM Bank

But thanks :)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Here's a guess...most of the problems that I remember hearing regarding bank changes had to do with an application or piece of hardware that were not sending the proper CC#. There are two different CC #s that are commonly used for bank change messages. One is 0, and the other is 32. The QSR responds to 0; so, to select bank 3, you would send CC#0 , value 3.

I have no idea what's going on w/Cakewalk, but that might not be a bad place to check - maybe it has some sort of default? I dunno...

As far as I can tell, it's sending the right MSB/LSB bank change info... I'll keep looking.

It's just weird since it used to work, now it doesnt' :mad:

Thanks

MBP-LOGIC

Archived