Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S1000 samples into Kurzweil k2600R

Howdy folks,

I'm looking at samplers, and the Kurzweil seems like a very class act. Only I want to use some S1000 type samples as well (namely Post Audio Media Post Piano Suite) and I understand some tweaking is in order.

What all is involved? Is this a one time deal, or will I have to retweak at some point?

I want to use these sounds on stage in a no-brainer way, just like they were hardwired into a midi sound module- don't want to go near the front panel except to turn it on, and call up the patch and play it from an external controller (Kawai MP9000).

Anybody have a clue here?

Thanks!

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have P-RAM (is that standard on the K2600?), your program data should be saved and in place on powering up the Kurzweil. However, you'll have to re-load sample data into RAM from a HD or CD-ROM drive. Max out the sample RAM to hold as much sample data as possible without having to reload.

Mike Martin is the best guy for this post. Hey Mike!

Well, I'm far from the expert but I'll try to elaborate.

While the K2600 will read the raw sample, it would understand the programming (filter settings, envelopes)and the keymap information done for the AKAI. So you'll have to do all that from scratch. You won't have to redo it everytime, since after you're done you can them save the sample in the kurz format and be done with it.

However, VAST programming is somewhat involved, and may take you some effort to get the results you want. You may be better off just buying specific Kurzweil sample libraries, unless you already own the AKAI discs.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

The K2600 will read the S1000 series libaries, however it won't read the progam data (this is a good thing as potentially ou can do so much more with VAST). It basically only reads the samples and keymaps (the layout of the samples across the keyboard).

The easiest way to use an imported sound such as those from an Akai library is to start with an existing Kurzweil program and change the keymap to the new one you've loaded in. Then you instantly have envelope, filter and effects settings that work. So any existing Kurzweil program can be used as a template that you use when importing sounds. :)

Hope this helps,

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hey Mike,

looks like you're the man.

I bet you know what I need to know to make this move with confidence.

I have been floored by the Post Piano Suite sounds, and have been in desperate need of very convincing classic electric bass sounds.

I value my time and energy enough that I don't mind investing substantially more for the Kurzweil (I can get a new Akia S5000 for $900) if it is going to prove to be a tool that can be a cornerstone of our sound for years to come.

The Kurz bass library looks very promising, and I'm floored by the balanced clarity of what I hear on the demos.

So basically I want to run the 2600R live on stage like a sound module, leaving it untouched in the rack while using the Kawai for a midi controller. I want to be able to access the Kurz bass library, the Post Piano Suite (only for S1000 and Giga) or another truly exceptional piano sound, whatever other Kurz ready sample library sounds, all from the midi controller, with zero fuss on stage. Fuss at home is usually necessary.

What kind of K2600R setup is called for, RAM, P-RAM, whatever else?

Another thing I would like to be able to do is to sync the K2600R to other digital masterclocks. I'm not seeing a word clock interface on any of the Digital I/O, TMDi, or the S option.

How is this done?

I'd love to put those nice tones through some really class D/A's, so syncing up to them would be key.

Thanks so much for your time.

Ted

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Ted,

The K2600R comes with 64MB of sample RAM. I'm not familiar with the particular CD-ROM you are refering too, but if thats not enough sample RAM another 64MB is easy enough to add.

In regards to PRAM, I doubt you'll need it unless you plan on doing some HEAVY sequencing. On previous models like the K2500 and K2000 the PRAM expansion was almost always neccessary. I've personally never needed it on my K2600.

Kurzweil makes a box called DMTi which will provide 8 channels of digital output and wordclock sync for the K2600 series (if the K2600 is also equipped with the DIO-26).

Hope this helps,

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Sorry if I didn't answer your question accurately. I have a K2500RS. I'm probably not getting the most out of loading my few Akai format CD-ROMs (primarily loop collections) because I haven't bothered to tweek the programs, keymaps, etc.

Well after further listening to the demos I think the Kurweil piano demo sounds better than the Post piano demos.

What other third party piano samples should I be listening to? I've yet to find anything TOTALLY convincing, but I'd love to!

What are the contenders?

BTW I got my questions anwered. Sounds like a spendy way to go- I'll need to hear some more before I know if now is the time to take the plunge, when things are getting so much better all the ti-i-ime.

Ted

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

What other third party piano samples should I be listening to? I've yet to find anything TOTALLY convincing, but I'd love to!

What are the contenders?

Maybe Mike is too shy to tell, but I can say that my favorite piano sound is on Mike's own Keysolutions vol.1 CD-ROM for the Kurzweil. It has a 64 meg Steinway that's really something.

Archived