Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XP-30 or Alesis QS7.1 - what would you choose?

Blaster

I have a chance to get a Roland XP-30 used in mint or a brand new Alesis QS7.1. The Roland would cost me $120 more. IS one board better than the other? I am a guitarist who does some keyboard live and want to do some in home recording.

What would you choose and why?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Blaster :wave: ,

Welcome to the Keyboard Forum. The Alesis QS7.1 is 76 keys and the XP-30 is 61 keys. Do you need 76 keys or will 61 keys be enough? They're both expandable meaning you can add more sounds (expansion boards). Sonically speaking, I feel that the XP-30 would be a better choice. The Alesis does have some very useful sounds, especially in the "synth" banks. But if you could go to your local music store and play both keyboards (for testing sound and action/feel of the keys), then you can judge for yourself which would be a better board for you. Any board can be used live but it depends on what you need.

Peace!

I would choose (and in fact we did in my church) the roland xp 30, it has a bunch os sound of every category you can imagine. I sounds better than alesis, it has 3 expansions card on board: orchestal, techno, and session, and if you buy it from musicians friend they are giving another card for free. How much would cost you the xp 30? It has better and more sounds... you also have 2 more expansion slots, more options, better sounding keyboard than alesis... IMHO.
Rebuilding My Self

I've played them both and know them well. I'd get the XP-30 in a heartbeat unless I really had to have a wider keyboard. The XP-30 includes awesome sounds in the Roland tradition: punchy, up-front, in-your-face, clean yet thick. The pianos sound lots better than the Alesis pianos and the orchestral sounds are gorgeous. The synth sounds get as far out as you might care to go, and drums and crunchy sounds rock. The display's big and bright and it's easier to navigate. The sliders make tweaking and programming easier too. There's just no contest at all here.

XP-30 buy [pun intended] a longshot. The Alesis is cute, but even with 76 keys, the sound pales in comparision with the Roland. Unless 76 keys is a requirement, you will not find another board in its price range that will allow you to semi-customize it to fit the music you do.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

QS 7.1 hands down. The piano alone blows the XP-30 away, and the QS7.1 has a much better keyboard. Plus, it's a way better MIDI controller. The XP-30 is a flimsy piece of gear with some decent sounds, but it's not very sturdy. If you want the Roland sounds too, add a JV-1010 and you're there.

Thanks all for the replies. I just found out from one of my friends that all I need is a JV-1010 with my current keyboards (Ensoniq SQ-1+, Yamaha SY85) that I would have a quasi XP-30. I still may choose the XP-30 (used at $650 but in great shape) or the 1010.

I did some recording with the XP last year in Sweden. I was impressed with the features in such a compact board. To be fair, I've never used the Alesis. How do you feel about investing in them?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

As I've mentioned before in previous posts of this nature, I love the XP. Great value for the money ...

One comment in response to the idea of adding a JV1010 module to your present keyboard setup to get a "quasi XP": In terms of sounds this may be true, but the interface is another issue entirely. I find the XP-30 really easy and intuitive to get around on (layout of features, info displayed on LED screen, functions of buttons, etc.) However, while I have no personal knowledge on this issue, I've read that the 1010 is sort of a bear to navigate, at least without a computer. This may be no problem for you, but something to think about before you buy.

Chris C

Archived