Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you had to recommend five must know songs to a new pianist ....

CP

If you had to recommend five songs that every beginning pianist should know what would they be. Doesn't matter what the genre of music is. It could be a classical piece, a jazz standard, a r&b, rock or pop tune, bossa nova, latin jazz. Would prefer a mixture.

There's just so much music out there. I'm a decent reader so classical won't bother me. Since I'm relatively new, I would appreciate something that is not extremely complicated. As you may know from earlier posts I'm heavy into Bach and Beethoven as far as classical is concerned. Haven't really been exposed yet to the other composers. Two pieces off the top of my head, I believe, would be Moonlight Sonata, and Fur Elise. Could be wrong.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Van Cliburn played a concert of Tchaikovsky in either c or e minor, a great piano piece, and for modern music any of Elton Johns or Billy Joels hit songs would be worth investing time in learning. John Tesh has written some of the best music for piano I've ever heard incuding "Give Me Forever I Do", I played at my sons wedding. Hope this helps.

1st Movement Pathetique - Beethoven

Rondo A La Turca - Mozart

2 Part Invention in F major - Bach

Root Beer Rag - Billy Joel

Baby Elephant Walk - Henry Mancini (Can substitue "The Pink Panther Theme" here.)

... But that's just me

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by joegerardi:

1st Movement Pathetique - Beethoven

Rondo A La Turca - Mozart

2 Part Invention in F major - Bach

Root Beer Rag - Billy Joel

Baby Elephant Walk - Henry Mancini (Can substitue "The Pink Panther Theme" here.)

... But that's just me

How the hell is a "beginning" pianist going to play Sonata Pathétique?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

It may be cliche', but you should be able to play "Maple Leaf Rag" or "The Entertainer" well.

As for pop piano, I'd suggest Bruce Horsby's "The Way It Is" and his piano part on Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me".

You could also learn simple arrangements of some standards ("All the Things You Are" is a good place to start) and Ellington ("Don't Get Around Much Anymore" or "Satin Doll"). "Take Five" isn't difficult.

John Tesh has written some of the best music for piano
Never thought I'd see "best music for piano" and "John Tesh" in the same sentence...

If someone sat down and played:

1) "Fur Elise" (Beethoven)

2) "Goin' Down" (Max Middleton's playing on Jeff Beck's version)

3) "Song for my Father" (Keith Jarret)

4) "Take Five" (Dave Brubeck)

5) "Air on a G string" (Bach)

I'd be impressed at their choices.

Originally posted by sevush:

"Song for my Father" (Keith Jarret)

Huh?! I thought that was written by Horace Silver.

Anyway, a few pieces from top of my head:

Bach - two part inventions in Amin., Dmin., Fmin.

Mozart - Sonata in C KV 330 (n.10)

Hindemith - Kleine Klaviermusik

Bartok - Microkosmos (Six volumes!)

Haendel - Passacaglia in G min.

Beethoven - Adagio from Patetique sonata

Joplin - some easy version of The Entertainer

If into some blues improvisation, Blues in the Closet, Now's the Time, Tenor Madness or Blue Monk are good blues themes.

Carlo

Archived