Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

88 vs. 76 Keys

glo

I'm going to buy a triton studio :D . Ill be using it both for its workstation capabilities and for giging. My question is should I get the 88 or 76 key model. I was going to get the 88-key but after thinking about it I dont know if weighted keys will work for me. How hard is it to play organ and synths on weighted keys?

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it much easier to play piano parts on synth keys than to play organ parts on hammer action keyboards. I suggest you try it first, then decide for yourself. You can always buy a controller at a later time if you want a real piano touch for piano parts. More than anything else, you may notice a big difference in hauling an 88 note keyboard around vs. a 76 note synth action.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Well, forget about slides when playing organ on a weighted action. Are you gonna use it mostly for piano stuff or Hammond and synth? Also think about the all-in-one concept. If this is gonna be your main board and the cd burner f**ks up, or the hard drive, you will have to take the whole thing in for service! :eek: I would go for separate components.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

It will be really hard to play riffs and slides. The action is just not there. The Triton is a great synth, go for it, but the keys will KILL your hands trying to do organ riffs and slides. Heck, I've lost more Blood, Sweat and Tears off of a Hammond that I would like to remember. Pianos play like pianos organs same. When opportunity knocks, you'll get the waterfall keys and action of your Hammond.

If you want piano action, there's no substitute for the 88 weighted, but if you're going to gig with it, I'd go with the 76. The 88 Triton Studio weighs about 25 pounds more than the 76. That's too much to haul around much IMO and for the 12 extra keys and weighted action just isn't worth it. :)

For gigs weight is definately a hugh factor. If you like playing a real piano then you would appreciate the work out you get from having the weighted keys at home.

Having said that, hows your budget and, which do you do more?

Unlimited Budget: Triton 88 home, Triton LE gigs.

If you gig a lot but have,

Short Bucks: Triton LE, save up for Triton 88

If you don't gig that much, get the 88 for home and a used XP 50 or something like that for gigs till you can get the LE.

Let us know what happened.

Sly

Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Archived