Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decent Mac audio programs?

Can anyone recommend any good multitrack audio programs for OS X? I'm waiting for my old PC Nuendo dongle to be transformed into a shiny new Mac USB one but I need something inexpensive to tide me over :D Just a basic multitrack with level and pan would suffice.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about anything cheap but Logic for OSX is out. And since Emagic and apple have joined forces - it should become the stabelst thing there is.....

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

Logic is a great program and [b]Mr Darling[/b] makes a good case; but IMO, it's not a "tide me over" program. It's too deep for that! [b]Rog[/b], I think that [url=http://www.bias-inc.com/products/deck_le/index.html]Bias Deck LE[/url] might be just the ticket! It only supports 12 tracks of digital audio, but it's an OS X app and it has a "tide me over" price: $99 retail. If you're willing to spend more to get more, there's also the full 64-track [url=http://www.bias-inc.com/products/deck/index.html]Bias Deck[/url] for $399. I've never used Deck or Deck LE, but they seem pretty straightforward. Best, Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

A thumbs-up on Deck. I've had it since version 2.0, and it works great. Now, realize that I recently got down to finally trying out ProTools Free and had a field day; but Deck is a great-sounding program for the money.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Thanks for all your help :) I've downloaded PT free even though it's not OS X ready ... yet. Spark ME looks like the one, I'm downloading now :D I do think it's strange that there is no basic multitrack stuff out there, though I don't recall anything out there in Windozeland either. Just a small, simple and stable app to allow multitrack recording without hogging any resources would be great for location recording with an iBook. Maybe I should get out my C++ for beginners book? :eek: :eek:
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Great site, cheers Nursers :thu: My MIO arrived today and, so far, I've managed to get iTunes to play some MP3s thru it ... that's as far as I've got :mad: Bias refuses to load in OS X and totally crashes the system in 9, Spark ME just records digital garbage :confused: Sounds great as an expensive digital jukebox though ;) I'll keep trying stuff ...

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b] I do think it's strange that there is no basic multitrack stuff out there, though I don't recall anything out there in Windozeland either. Just a small, simple and stable app to allow multitrack recording without hogging any resources would be great for location recording with an iBook. Maybe I should get out my C++ for beginners book? :eek: :eek: [/b][/quote]I haven't checked it out lately, but it was my impression that Deck is pretty much exactly what you are asking for. And BTW, you may want to make that Objective C :D

• 10 months later...
Bumpworthy thread. I gotta say I really like PT 6.1 for OSX, although the interface is different enough to force me to re-learn a coupla things. Otherwise its a great upgrade.

Interesting this thread...bumped from the grave, near All Hallow's Eve... I switched to DP4 two months ago. Not looking back. Tried it, briefly, in OS9 at 3.11, and found it to be as wonderful as I'd been told. FWIW: My official stance is...Deck is nice to get a start with, and do some really cool thing with, but DP4 hits the mark. YMMV
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I'd like to check out DP4 too - I have an old 2.7 version, which is really nice. Unfortunately, the guy I got it from slacked out of transferring the license to me, so no upgrade... :mad: If I have to pay full price, I might just go with Logic. Deck LE, imo, is a pain in the ass. No effects except the cheesy ones built into it, and it's been kinda crashy on me. Anyone want a copy real cheap, let me know.

[quote]Originally posted by flyscots: [b]Definately a bumpworthy thread. So what did you finally end up with Rog?[/b][/quote]I was looking for something to tide me over until Nuendo became available on OS X. Sadly, my iBook (600MHz 256 Mb) can't handle Nuendo for any serious work. My G5 should be with me very soon now and I can't wait to have Nuendo running on OS 10.3 :)

Archived