Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Laptop Latency Softsynth Help

TStead

I know this topic has come up a lot but my needs are very specific, and I believe, common.

I'm about to buy a laptop for for live softsynth application I need to know how fast the cpu should be to get latency down to under 5ms (hopefully 2 or 3ms). My desk top is an 866 MHz and I've got latency down to 8ms with a delta 44 and ASIO drivers. this is NOT really fast enough for me (for sharp attack sounds). I play keys professionally and this kind of latency is a deal breaker for me. Is it possible to get a laptop to these specs? the popular speed for new laptop is 1.13 GHz I feel this may not be enough. I might have to get it up to 1.7 GHz. but even then you have laptop interface issues (USB vs Firewire vs PCMCIA for midi and sound card)

can it really be done? help?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bluezingreenz:

I know this topic has come up a lot but my needs are very specific, and I believe, common.

I'm about to buy a laptop for for live softsynth application I need to know how fast the cpu should be to get latency down to under 5ms (hopefully 2 or 3ms). My desk top is an 866 MHz and I've got latency down to 8ms with a delta 44 and ASIO drivers. this is NOT really fast enough for me (for sharp attack sounds). I play keys professionally and this kind of latency is a deal breaker for me. Is it possible to get a laptop to these specs? the popular speed for new laptop is 1.13 GHz I feel this may not be enough. I might have to get it up to 1.7 GHz. but even then you have laptop interface issues (USB vs Firewire vs PCMCIA for midi and sound card)

can it really be done? help?

What host software are you using. With SONAR2/M-Audio Delta1010 and WDM I get reliable performance at 2.9ms latency. (Even 1.5 works) I know exactly what you're talking about...anything above 5ms doesn't feel right to me from a performance perspective.

I think the same can be accomplished with the latest Echo cards w/ WDM drivers.

Instead of a laptop you might want to consider getting a "Mobile Daw" like the one's that are sold at www.liquiddaw.com

-david abraham

Yeah, sound card and the host application probably have more to with the latency problem. Right, now I'm using a nifty shareware sequencer called Massiva for a VST host, and I'm getting stable 4ms latency with the Audigy's ASIO drivers.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

Yeah, sound card and the host application probably have more to with the latency problem.

Definitely the sound card and the quality of it's drivers are the primary factors in determining latency, or lack of it. (Go Lakers!!!...sorry I couldn't resist...ya know, playoffs and all).

Back to the topic...the difference between a poorly coded driver and a good one can dramaticly improve performance...which is exactly why you should always check your sound card's web site often for updates.

Archived