Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reason or Acid

wturner

I need some assistance.Right now I'm using Acid to help me create new material.I recently ran across the Reason program which looks interesting.

Has anyone ever used this Reason before and how difficult is it to learn compared to ACID.

Also,if anyone has used an MPC 2000 sampler,which would you prefer to write with?The MPC or the software programs.....Acid,Reason,etc.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, the title of this thread would have sparked a completely different debate back in the sixties! :D

Willie, the answer to your question depends a lot on what you are trying to achieve. Do you want to create your own loops or do you want to manipulate loops that have already been created? Are you working alone or are you working with others? What genres of music are you creating?

The MPC series has been used in R&B and Hip-Hop extensively. If you're working with others in those styles, you may find it helpful to use the same gear they are using. Friends of mine who use MPCs swear by their timing.

OTOH, if you're working in one of the many "electronica" genres, you'll probably be happier with a computer running Acid and/or Reason. Reason will be the better choice if you want to create from the ground up, rolling your own loops and playing and designing your own synth sounds. However, if you want easy importing and tempo alignment of a variety of pre-made loops, Acid will best satisfy your needs.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

definitly get reason 2.0 when it goes on sale next month, and i think there is a free version of acid for download at sonic foundry, get that also, forget the Mpc unless you are only concerned about performing live and have money to throw away.

if you have a laptop though, then forget the mpc alltogether, and get Reason 2.0, acid, Abletons Live software, and the Akai

usb 16pad midi controller. will cost you alot less than an mpc, then you will have an mpc that is a million times better than an mpc.

Thanks guys

I was about to purchase an MPC because of all of the hype.But after doing the research it seemed to me that it would be easier to create on a laptop using ACID or REASON.I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something on the MPC.

willie

Originally posted by wturner:

Thanks guys

I was about to purchase an MPC because of all of the hype.But after doing the research it seemed to me that it would be easier to create on a laptop using ACID or REASON.I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something on the MPC.

willie

You're missing the feel and the sound. I've got all three, Reason, ACID and the MPC and each serves it purpose differently. If you want to do R&B or Rap you should go with the MPC. It's just got a sound.

Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Hey Rob

I've been working with the MPC 2000xl that a friend has.He's got a 100 mb zip drive installed.From what I could tell, he had to create his own sounds and then store the sounds to each pad.This seemed to be quite time consuming.I know that there are other sounds created for the MPC but they're loaded on cd's and you have to have a scsi to load any GOOD sounds on the MPC and THEN you have to save any songs on SCSI.Does that sound about right or is there a piece of the puzzle that I'm missing?

After working with this ACID program it seemed to be a lot faster as far as creating a song bed....

Originally posted by wturner:

Hey Rob

I've been working with the MPC 2000xl that a friend has.He's got a 100 mb zip drive installed.From what I could tell, he had to create his own sounds and then store the sounds to each pad.This seemed to be quite time consuming.I know that there are other sounds created for the MPC but they're loaded on cd's and you have to have a scsi to load any GOOD sounds on the MPC and THEN you have to save any songs on SCSI.Does that sound about right or is there a piece of the puzzle that I'm missing?

After working with this ACID program it seemed to be a lot faster as far as creating a song bed....

Most guys with MPC's collect sounds from a variety of sources like sampling CD's, recording sessions they may have done, commercially released CD's, and other drum machines. They then go in a create kits of various sounds mapped out to different pads. You then have a few ready made kits for writing sessions which you can add on to when needed. Part of the sound of the MPC is the sampling - overloading the input, compressing on the way in, the way you truncate, etc. ZIP seems to be the most common format for saving. Once it's all hooked up it's no differnt than any other sampler. If you do any editing in ACID or Reason you still have to save it somewhere. ACID is certainly faster at creating a bed of loops and sounds but you're generally limited to the loops that everyone and their mother has. With the MPC you can use loops but you're also creating something a bit mroe original with the individual drum sounds than just using loops.

Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Archived