Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reason...or other softsynth?

orange021

I am an old-school analog player who just bought a ti-book. Oh yeah. I have been waiting for this moment for years...the softsynth. I am considering Reason, but the demos sound really thin. I am into a much warmer sound, with electric pianos and fat synth bass. So, I am wondering if there are other comparable products out there which might be worth discussing. As I said, I am a newbie to digital at the moment...

Orange

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you running as your sequencer? Here are a few things I like under Sonar.

JunoX2 - for $30 a great deal.

B4 - Maybe the best VSTi out there. At least most realistic.

Battery - Great drums.

Tassman - Good sound if you tweak the programs. Hopefully vs. 3 will be more stable.

SonicSynth/SampleTank - Sort of a workstation. Lots of workstation sounds plus nice pads.

FM7 - Yet another NI program. At first I did not like this. Then I heard the new patches. Very nice.

In any respect, realize that softsynths benefit from the same processing enhancements that hardware synths get. Add some effects or tube emulation and it really helps.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

From one orange to another, I love Reason.. its unbelievable for my uses jazzfunk/fusion/T-Dream etc.....

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/ug/loughran/brasilian_haze192.mp3

has a demo track I did in Reason (using stock sounds) after 1.5 days using it... I borrowed a friends computer and had to give it back... just as well really otherwise my PhD Research would have gone down the drain!

The Subtractor synth is a bit thin but that never stopped the Arp Odyssey, I found but is capable of

some astonishing textures, esp when you start messing around with FM and use LFOs to control parameters..

Anyway the Malstrom in Reason 2.0 looks the biz and sounds wonderfully weird..

Peace

Orangefunk

Originally posted by orange021:

I am an old-school analog player who just bought a ti-book. Oh yeah. I have been waiting for this moment for years...the softsynth. I am considering Reason, but the demos sound really thin. I am into a much warmer sound, with electric pianos and fat synth bass. So, I am wondering if there are other comparable products out there which might be worth discussing. As I said, I am a newbie to digital at the moment...

Orange

You should also try REAKTOR from Native Instruments or PRO 52, the virtual PROPHET 5, also from NI.

REAKTOR is extremely deep for programming. PRO 52 is to play with its virtual knobs... great sound, both soft synths really rock :thu:

... Yeah, you all knew I was gonna say this :D

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Director de Ventas, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus Audio Electronics

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Thanks Chris, listening to four80east at Amazon right now.. yeah know what u mean!!

My inspiration wasn't really modern day stuff funnily enough, I was thinking Brazilian 70s jazz like Azymuth and Airto and perhaps a little George Duke Brazilian Love Affair.. def Mr Duke on the CP80 style piano line! And my love Rhodes for the Solina/Arp String Ensemble knows know end..

I'm amazed at Reason though, that piece was just one germ of an idea and it just composed itself in the end really easy and really intuitive for musicians, I feel if you got an idea Reason can really help you develop it to its true potential.. I never felt that way before about any software..

except for the arrange window.. yuk.. but that will be solved in V2.0 I guess (YIPPEE DUAL MONITOR SUPPORT!!)

But yeah you got it spot on.. never heard of those guys before...

Peace

Orangefunk

Originally posted by Chris100:

orangefunk, that is a great sounding track you posted. Have you heard Four 80 East? I think they'll be right up your alley.

chris100

Glad you liked them orange. I definitely hear your Brazilian 70's jazz influence, and you certainly have the atmospheric Rhodes sound happening. I love your bass sound in this track too.. Would you mind sharing some of your production methods? I've been trying to get this into this style, but it just hasn't been happening.

chris100

Ha ha I just messed until it worked really.. the track was 100% done in Reason so there isn't any other outboard involved.. My SBLive card had a little latency too which was a bit off putting on the solos esp..

Anyway...

Rhodes

------

I set up two particular rhodes phrases.. the first one is the chords being arpegiated, the second just chords played straight, both went thru heavy phasing a little reverb and a little delay...

Bass

----

Standard patch I think called Electric Bass in Subtractor.. think I modified it slightly so the filter opened slightly with the LFO.. some slight phasing on this too

Sax

---

Perhaps the weakest link really, standard patch, bit of phasing and delay and reverb.

Drums

-----

Most interesting of all, I used a standard loop but played individual samples from the keyboard rather than just let the loop go around and around. No quantisation either... I made sure there were various kicks and snares and hi-hats to use so it didn't sound too false.. loudest kick was always heard on the first beat and hi-hats were never played over the snare..

I loved programming my own drums most of all out of doing the composition. I think I used a little compression, not much it didn't make that much difference as it already sounded quite good. There are 4 different sections:

a main on the beat loop

a off beat snare loop

a loop with no snare

a latin beat

Solina String

-------------

A lot of phasing and digital delay!! Simple two note lines really..

Vox

---

I wanted it to sound like there were real people going ooh, but didn't find a realistic enough patch.. this was the best I could find. Again two note lines..

Clav

----

Real fun was had with this, I played on the beat at first then off and loved the rhythmic placement against the rhodes and off beat drums! Again lots of phaser! Two note lines again i think..

Other sounds were made from musical snippets in Reason

Vibes

-----

this was the first note of a musical loop I found which I just played as a melody... really surprised how this worked out. More phasing I guess and I think I took out a lot of the bass freqs

Electric Piano

--------------

I do like the sound of rhodes in hop hop where they just pitch a sample around... All I did was put a bit of portamento on this and treat it like a monosynth with some delay and phaser.. I mapped the LFO to Pan the sound about from L-R

Piano Solo

----------

This was really an afterthough, Iplayed something rough just to get an arrangement together but I actaully quite like the solo.. its not flashy or particularly hard but it fits I think.. Its supposed to be aGrand Piano but it sounds more like a Yamaha CP80 to me.. which I liked!!

Oh the obligatory phaser was also applied to this also!!

So basically the Orangefunk sound is = A LOT OF PHASER!!? :D

Hope that helps! Glad u like this...

Peace

Orangefunk

Glad you liked them orange. I definitely hear your Brazilian 70's jazz influence, and you certainly have the atmospheric Rhodes sound happening. I love your bass sound in this track too.. Would you mind sharing some of your production methods? I've been trying to get this into this style, but it just hasn't been happening.

chris100

Orangefunk: that track was slick, and beautiful, and that bassline was very liquid. I think your tune might have convinced me that Reason has got some weight. I am playing with the demo a bit now, and it's producing smiles. I may check out the other stuff too before jumping in. Thanx to all who have replyed.

Thanks guys.. I love Reason.. problem is I love it so much that I really could spend weeks/months just playing with it and doing no work.

I do wish that Recycle was integrated with DrEx tho' I think its an essential part of the program...

The lack of not being able to record vox or any other external stuff is a bit limiting but bearable for instrumental music..

Hope you both have as much fun as I did!!

Peace

Orangefunk

orangefunk, you forgot about the bird-chirping track, ;)

-c

Yeah that took ages.. I positioned mics all over the place.. carefully checking their positions and making sure I got as much detail as I could from the "Lesser Known Blossom Tailed Finches" that rarely visit these isles and recorded the results onto high quality DAT...

But that didn't work so I just nicked a sample off the net... ;)

Peace

Orangefunk

Fruity Loops Pro has also come a long way and is quite a powerful program, with some good sounds built in and the ability to run VST instruments from w/in the program. The interface isn't as neat as Reason's "virtual rack" interface, but its powerful nonetheless and intuitive to use. Worth checking out a demo, anyway.

Let me add my voice to the chorus of accodales to the "brazil ... " track (link posted in this thread) by the way ... I can't believe that's done 100% in Reason. I'm gonna find me a copy to check out for sure! Cool tune.

Chris

Chris

Thanks again Chris..! Can't wait for V2.0!!

Originally posted by chris c:

Fruity Loops Pro has also come a long way and is quite a powerful program, with some good sounds built in and the ability to run VST instruments from w/in the program. The interface isn't as neat as Reason's "virtual rack" interface, but its powerful nonetheless and intuitive to use. Worth checking out a demo, anyway.

Let me add my voice to the chorus of accodales to the "brazil ... " track (link posted in this thread) by the way ... I can't believe that's done 100% in Reason. I'm gonna find me a copy to check out for sure! Cool tune.

Chris

Chris

Reason is cool. But, one thing that is kind of a bummer is that it won't allow you to insert VSTi plug-ins. If they added that capability then this would be really awesome for people that prefer to work in this environment. I must admit that Reason is fun! (any software that allows you to turn it around and see the patch cables is cool in my book!).

For anyone who has or is getting Reason, I made a sample library called OmniSoundz that consists of "meat and potatoes" sounds covering pianos to strings to guitars, drums etc. It is a reFill mainly for the NN19 sampler (we will be updating it for free for the NNXT as well). You can listen to that here: www.esoundz.com/omnisoundz.html

Just scroll to the bottom of that page and you can download mp3 demo riffs of the various instruments.

Also, I noticed that earlier in this thread Sonic Synth/Sampletank was also mentioned. Sonic Synth is also from my company and this would be like having a Triton type sound source but actually much higher quality instruments and a much lower cost. You would have to have a sequencer that can load VSTi plug-ins (or MAS or even RTAS would work) to be able to run it.

Hey, does anyone know of a VSTi adapter for REASON? That would be cool. Rabid, I know you have something for your Sonar and Sonic Synth right? If anyone would know about such a thing, you probably would ;) I suppose since they have ReWire you can use that for some things but being able to use VSTi's sort of opens doors for some cool products out there.

Hope that helps. But, if you want to hear Sonic Synth then you should check it out with this link directly to some mp3 demo riffs to give you an idea of it's sounds: www.sonicreality.com/sonicsynthmore.html

Good luck! It's a good time to be making music on a Powerbook! Oh, if I only had this when I was first starting!

Archived