Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

when you were 25...

kiddo

I was 25 in 1972, I think. I don't remember too much from back then. I was still recovering from Woodstock! There was a really good concert at the Pocono International Raceway in 1972....or was it 1973? Yep, the weed was very good in the old days, and you could actually afford it then, but I'm straight now. Still a lot of dead brain cells. I was playing in a band that played covers AND some good originals. I had a B2 with twin Leslies that I used for gigs,no wonder I can't hear anymore. I had just bought a B3 and Leslie 122 at home. Nice. Also had a Rhodes stage piano that I used with my Hammond gig organ. It was around 1973 when I bought my first Mini Moog! Wow, a synth! The Hammond was a beast to carry around, but we had 5 guys and a couple of roadies. Big PA too. Lots of groupies. Those were the days. :thu:

Things are lighter these days. Good thing because not only my brain wires are fried, my body is shot too! :rawk:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Clare was in the band, his shoes were only 21.

Wow - that must have been before his stint with the Hi-Lo's.

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

At 25 (1975) I was playing jazz piano in a military big band in the same chair Clare Fischer years earlier had occupied. I was incarcerated for 20 years.

I doubt that ANY 25-year-old could fill Clare Fischer's shoes. I don't think it's fair that you had to go to prison for 20 years. :D:wave:

When Clare was in the band, his shoes were only 21.

Being ignorant (but not proud of it) I googled Clare Fischer. Imagine my surprise when I saw he was born (and lived his early years) in my home town! :eek:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I incorrectly wrote he was 21 when he was in the USMA Band, according to Wiki he would have been 23.

They also do not have him listed as a piano player in the band, only as an arranger. I know for a fact he played piano in one of the two dance bands that existed then because an old friend of mine worked with him.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

1999. Great year for me.

I met my wife almost exactly 1 month prior to my 25th Birthday. Still very happily married

I started gigging again this year, after an absense of about 6 or so years.

I was playing a Korg Trinity, and a Roland A33 (controlling Trinity sounds). I was still using the A33 until last summer.

Was working for a small Hitech company, that got bought a couple of times over, and I am still there.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Fascinating! When I was 25 (in 1995) I'd just got out of a very long stint in pris... er... university and was lucky enough to go straight into a lecturing post at another university. Soon I was independent, loaded, had my own place on the beach - until an old school friend called me up, insisting I leave all that behind and record an album on his new label. Long story short, I did just that and pursued my dream, oh, except for the recording bit - everything fell through there. :(

Anyway I had to pick up the remnants of my life and it's taken this long to get back to some semblance of personal success, with the unstinting support of a great wife - which is where you find me now. :)

Hmmm, 25 in 1987. Not a great year for me. I had basically dropped out of college at 22 to devote my time to a New Wave band, I played bass and sang lead, and wrote most of the songs. I also got into a pretty destructive relationship with a woman I met at a gig. At 25, both the band and the relationship broke up, and I was working as a janitor. The good thing about that period was that I basically just worked and practiced a lot, both bass and keys. The other guys in the band pretty much quit doing music sersiously after that, but it was when I really decided to become a musician.

The next year, I went back to school to study jazz piano, met my current partner when we were both DJ's at the campus station, and pretty much got on track to where I am today, wherever that is.

At 25 my rig was a DX-7 (still have it) an ARP Axxe (Still have it, but it needs some serious work), and I may have had a Korg Poly800 at that time too.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

1975. On the road since 1968. I would have used my B3 into twin Leslie 122s and Rhodes, Wurly and Clavinet into twin Fender Super Reverb amps. The Supers sat on top of the Leslies and the combination explains most of my Tinnitus today.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

At 25, I was gigging with a Yamaha SY99 and Kurzweil PC88. Also, had a rack with a Voce MicroB, Yamaha TX7 and outboard gear. All playing through an EV SH-152 speaker. Sounded fantastic. It was a blast. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

When I was 25, it was 1978. I was on the road full time with a hot and highly successful 8 piece horn band.

The bad news: it was the height of the disco era. Oh the huge manatee!

http://raven.subsume.com/mu/ohTheHugeManatee.jpg

I was playing a huge rig consisting of a Hammond B-2, Rhodes 88, Clavinet, TWO E-MU synths built by me (one modular mono and one polyphonic SSM chip based) with the occasional Prophet thrown in.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/gallery/pile_of_keys.jpg

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/gallery/back_line.jpg

Moe

---

Here's me around that time. You can see behind me to the left is my good friend Steve Bassett on piano and singing his butt off and in the upper right hand corner, Nat Reeves on bass. We're playing the Tobacco Co in Richmond. Not sure if it's still there, but at least the three of us still are.

http://www.bellmusicproductions.com/clientdownloads/lb.jpg

AND....an added bonus!!! SK on the Mason&Hamlin (iirc) at the Trade Winds (sorry steve)

http://www.bellmusicproductions.com/clientdownloads/sk.jpg

I tossed down many a beer at the Tobacco Company while working at F&M (then Sovran) Bank... Actually got my F&M Bank job offer while being "interviewed" there (final interview of course and yes the manager was hip)! :thu:

Shockoe Slip, Baby!

What year were these awesome photos take, Linwood?

Let me guess... 1980?

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I was 25 last year, in my second year at university (commuting from home) on a Popular music degree with very little chops under my hands and no decent qualifications or work experience before me.

Now i'm a month away from finishing, that much better at keys (still a work in progress mind) and i'm working towards my final major performance which if I pull off will be quite a big thing for me. Just need to hang on for a bit longer and get all my written work done.

After that, a move to London city to begin the re-funkafization of my life! Hopefully playing & writing music will be a constant feature of my life and i'd love to be able to travel with music. Just the start of things for me. :thu:

Wow, what a thread...Im not on here much but I like to check in n see whats going on..sometimes I hear about new equipment here b4 anywhere else..like the new vst player...

at 25 I used what I called my Herbie setup, Fender Rhodes suitcase, Clav D6 on top, to my left was an ARP string ensemble w/an ARP Odysey and Minimoog sitting on that...God I loved that setup...the string ensemble got crushed in transport, so I replaced it w/a MemoryMoog....life was fun....

I also had an upright Steinway and a B3 in my house..oh, for the fun of it, I had a Commodore computer w/some..Sonus stuff, used to be able to Midi a DX7 into it and it would play all these parts I inputed..was weird, never took it serious...thats what studio's were for werent they?

At 25, I spent my money on prostitutes, drugs and booze. Damn nothing has changed in my life. No wonder I'm so happy. :D

My gear was simple I had only 2 keyboards, the Korg M1 and the Casio cz101. My girlfriend at the time, lets call her Handy, was so easy to get along with and was always understanding, complaint, and easy going.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

1982. Was it 1982 or '83 that MIDI came out? I was in my 1st job after college, and making just enough $$$ to get a budget MIDI studio together: Korg Poly800, Casio CZ101, DX100, Korg SQD-1 sequencer, Korg DDM110 drum machine, and Korg a MIDI/Sync interface. I had quit playing during school, but once MIDI came out, the new possibilities that MIDI made possible lured me back in! I still have all of it stored in orig. boxes down in the basement.
PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

I'm loving this thread. Yes, linwood, the Tobacco Co is still there. I play there every now and then. Great old photo of SK!

I was 25 in 1995. Touring about 20 nights per month with original pop/world/reggae group Fighting Gravity. We were still in our heyday with a tour bus, full roadie treatment, the works. We never touched a piece of gear in those days...just show up, stagger onstage and play the gig. We did a ton of recording and had many near brushes with fame. It was a wonderful life experience that I would not trade for anything.

My rig at the time was a pair of Hammond XB2 organs (just kept one for backup) on a rolling custom stand, MIDI'd to a Roland JV880 and the Leslie sim courtesy of the Dynacord CLS222.

Regards,

Eric

Egads, Linwood!

Thanks for the memory jog. And good to see you again.

I have a photo somewhere of me shortly after that when I got a haircut. But too late for an antidote.

I picked out that Mason & Hamlin for that club, and later I heard (for the insurance) they burned the place down with the Mason & Hamlin in it.

My 25th year spanning 1987-88 proved to be quite interesting and eventful. Music-wise, our band was shutting it down after a couple years trying to get traction in the LA clubs as a synth pop/rock arty band (Devo meets XTC meets Human League meets Talking Heads). Worse timing ever, as this was in the midst of the Hair Band era. My setup was a DX7, Pro-One, ARP Odyssey and a synced-up TB303-TR606 combo, sometimes a borrowed Rhodes Chroma. The song order was always heavily influenced by how I had to program the ARP and Pro-One on the fly.

I was finishing up dental school, and making some money in the commercial DX7 patch biz and freelance session synth programming. The DX7II came out, and was getting its FM and no on-board effects synth engine butt kicked by the Roland D50. To help out my friend the local mom & pop music store owner, I did a custom sound set for the DX copping the signature D50 patches like Fantasia, Staccato Heaven, Digital Native Dancer, Soundtrack etc. When the local Yamaha rep got curious how he was moving so many units, the store owner introduced the rep to me, and that started my professional sound designer career with Yamaha and others.

Doesnt really seem that long ago, but thinking about it, I guess Ive made a lot of sounds, drilled a lot of teeth -- and always try to remind myself those are the screams of adoring fans.

Manny

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

Yikes, I'm older than Dave Horne. :eek:

When I was 25 in 1973, I was operating a submarine nuclear power plant for the Navy. I've got some good stories from that experience.

But the story for this thread is that I ended up getting drafted in 1968 because of music. I was the bass player in a smokin' soul music band out of Atlanta, The Tangents. (Take that, Eric!) It was pop music in those days. We were playing in about five states, making records, and opening for top-40 artists. Our keyboard player had a B3 and a Rhodes. Three horn players. It was heaven.

The funny part is that I thought that I could do that at the same time I was going to Ga. Tech. What a mistake. After getting drafted, I never played bass again and stayed away from music until twelve years ago when I took up piano.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

well...I'm 25 now ;). My first board was a roland xp-10(horrid, i know). Now I have a VMK-188plus with a Gem RPX, a voce v5, a Juno 106, Jupiter 6, Roland SH-201, and a mac with more plugins than you could imagine. I'd say go with a motif if you can handle the weight. When you get sick of that/master that....then expand/condense to your preference.

Yikes, I'm older than Dave Horne. :eek:

Don't worry, Dave's not that old - he just acts that way ;)

Age 25 I'd just finished my student days and while I could finally afford some better gear, I had no time to play music because of my career. So the FB-01, P-330 and EP-50 basically sat in a cupboard. The SH-101 was forgotten about at my parents house. I bought a friend's sunburst Mustang so there was something good happening that year.

I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

I'm now 50.

Twenty five years ago...when I was 25, I was in my 3rd year of living in Germany, stationed at a German Air Force base, and was in the USAF.

I was young, single, travelling Europe and having the time of my life.

Wasn't doing too much playing other than acoustic guitar, maybe some banjo every now and then.

All my bills were payed and life was good. :):D

Twenty five years later...

Life is still good. :)

Sure, I have a home, family with 2 kids but they're through college now and it's just the wife and I.

The only weird thing is....WHERE THE HECK DID THE TIME GO? :D

Have fun and enjoy your youth.

It won't last forever. :D

Randy

"Just play!"

Archived