Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

buying synth online - any recommendations?

kiddo

hi guys,

knowing how helpful you all can be :D i'm posting on this forum before anywhere else ;)

i'm currently located in Singapore and my local Korg dealer just told me today that i gotta wait till july (soonest?! urgh! :mad: ) before their 1st shipment of Korg Triton LE 76 arrives.

so now i'm desperate, and seriously looking into buying the board online, or whoever ships internationally intact :D

hoping you guys could recommend some great places to check out, and any tips, pointers abt purchasing instruments in such manner, shipping, etc.

also, we're using 220V power supply in Singapore. "Poof!" is the last thing i'd wanna hear when switching on the board, plus smoke n smell for effects... :freak:

thanks y'all - in advance! :thu:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nope. From zzounds help FAQ:

Q: Does zZounds ship outside of the U.S.?

A: Unfortunately, we can only ship products to US addresses on US-billed credit cards at this time.

...and from Musician's Friend FAQ:

International Shipping

Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are limited in what we can ship outside of the United States. Currently we can ship only the following brands internationally: Rogue, Pulse, Ram, Axman. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I think you'll find this to be the case with most U.S. companies. Good luck!

I think some of you are missing the point.

The customer is in Singapore. He needs a site where he can order his keyboard to be shipped to Singapore, and it needs to be compatible with the 220v current there.

We should also be careful not to recommend any site that would void his warranty - so they have to be authorized to sell in Singapore.

My only question to the customer is - do you happen to have an APO or FPO address? If not, I can't think of a U.S. site that would be able to accomodate your purchase.

ebay.com

risky, but exciting.

sometimes some instrument dealers ship internationally.

but you'll hardly find a product with warranty.

Or, you can click on manufacturer's site and ask them about your local retailers.

S K Y N A R E

There's a big one in Germany.. can't remember the name. I do remember that they ship internationally.

I would pick up one of the European mags and take a look (SOS, Computer music) for ads.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Kiddo:

Nice to hear from someone in Singapore.

I don't have a firm answer to your question but perhaps you should post your question at:

http://www.the-gas-station.com/

There are lots of europeans there and the european retailers seem to have a good handle on shipping, insurance and taxes for international purchases. For example:

http://www.turnkey.uk.com/

appear to cater for international sales, but I am not sure how they deal with sales outside European Community. They do appear to consider that since they mention subtracting VAT if you are outside the european community.

Other UK web shops include:

http://www.digitalvillage.co.uk

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/

I can't recommend any of the three since I haven't used them, but perhaps one of the european web communities can.

When I lived in Singapore, if you wanted a synth other than a Korg you went to Swee Lee Music. :) Are they still around? The Korgs were sold by Yamaha music above Yaohan (I forget the name of the shopping center. It's on Orchard Road near the end of the street.) Is that still the way they distribute? We've had conversations here about the close relationship between Korg and Yamaha.

Cheers,

Jerry

There's a big one in Germany.. can't remember the name. I do remember that they ship internationally.
Probably you mean www.musikproduktiv.de

They send at least to Holland but Singapore is a little further, I guess... :) The European net is also 220V.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Thanks you guys! Knew I could always get some good advice here :thu: Will checkout all the sites recommended but yes, I do hear KC's words echoing now n then :D

Originally posted by Tusker:

Nice to hear from someone in Singapore.

When I lived in Singapore, if you wanted a synth other than a Korg you went to Swee Lee Music. :) Are they still around? The Korgs were sold by Yamaha music above Yaohan (I forget the name of the shopping center. It's on Orchard Road near the end of the street.) Is that still the way they distribute? We've had conversations here about the close relationship between Korg and Yamaha.

Cheers,

Jerry

Swee Lee carries Roland now, Jerry. Korg and Kurzweil are distributed by City Music now. It must've been years since you left S'pore, coz Yaohan doesn't exist anymore :eek: I think you were referring to Plaza Singapura - the entire building has been demolished and rebuilt. And now Yamaha hogs one whole corner on the 5th Floor :P Oh well do pop by again - u'll be surprised.

Btw, Kiddo is a "she"... :D

Archived