Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Notation software

jimbyjoe

hello everyone,

been a little while unfortunately. now probably everyone has asked this question, but i need a shareware notation program simply to do melody line, sometimes a simple piano score, but need to insert guitar chords above the melody, as well as lyrics.

if there's no shareware ones, how about cheaper ones or maybe not cheap ones. thank you peoples.

pray for peace,

kendall

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had Igor engraver for mac. It used to be freeware a year ago but at the time they released it for windows they made it shareware. I didn't go on with it because it was about the most buggy piece of sh*t I have ever had on the mac :mad: Don't know if it was an extension conflict but Sibelius is doing a much greater job for me. Steady as a rock. BTW, for a shareware app Igor has lots and lots of handy-dandy stuff, if only it wouldn't disappear into oblivion after every thirty minutes... I wonder how it's working on windows. :D

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

JimbyJoe,

Have you ever checked out ABC notation tools? ABC is an open (and free) text based language for notating music. It supports everything from very complex scores (multistave/multivoice) or simple leadsheet melody+lyrics+chords/tab.

ABC is not really a software application, but a language that is supported by a number of freeware/shareware tools. Most of the tools (such as abc2ps or abcm2ps) generate postscript or PDF files as output for very professional looking scores.

While there are some GUI based ABC programs such as Melody Assistant, most of these are clumbsy and IMO not worth the effort. The ABC language is text based and generally requires you to enter notation from a text editor, but it is very simple to do so. You use the characters a,b,c ..g to represent notes and lowercase/upppercase, commas and quotations to select what octave to put the note in. Timing is denoted with numbers etc. I can crank out a simple leadsheet, complete with chord charts in less the 20 min.

The ABC tools that I use are:

abcm2ps.exe - generates a postscript graphical file from an abc text file. It is an ugraded version of abc2ps that supports multistave scores and a bunch of other stuff.

gsview32.exe - generates a PDF file from the above PS file.

abc2midi.exe - converts abc to midi for playback.

yaps.exe - yet another ps converter.

runabc.exe - this is really Tcl shell that creates a development environment for abc music. It includes an editor, and shell that calls all of the above programs. Prior to using runabc, it was very awkward to use abc. I had to create the abc file with a text editor, run abcm2ps with a whole bunch of command line options to create a ps file and then run gsview or ghostscript to covert it to pdf. With runabc you can do all of these things by clicking a single button.

Here are some useful links on abc.

http://www.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/

http://www.ifdo.pugmarks.com/~seymour/runabc/runabc.html

runabc takes a lot of the setup difficulty out of using abctools as well. Now you can basically just download the tools you want (abcm2ps, abc2midi etc.), unzip them into a directory where you want to store the executables, install runabc.exe (the windows version) and tell it where these executables are.

If you are interested in this approach, let me know if you need more assistance.

Don.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

JimbyJoe, we had a thread on this recently; you might search my member number and the word "lyricist," as that is the name of a program that I am aware of that does what you asked for. I don't have it but I did look at it.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Both Music EASE and Melody Assistant use the ABC notation language.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Archived