Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

good sites to buy computers?

schmoron13

anyone know any sites dedicated to pro equipment? I'm in the market for either a high end g4 (titanium powerbok?) or a pc. I need something that can handle high end music production and visual graphics (AutoCAD2002, photoshop, etc) SO I'd like a site or sites that sell computers and pro sound cards (motu, digi, etc...) that cater to these purposes.

thanks

Schmoron

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about the high-end sounds cards, but I got my PC at:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/

Their prices are great, they use good components, and their tech support is decent.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by joegerardi:

I don't know about the high-end sounds cards, but I got my PC at:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/

Their prices are great, they use good components, and their tech support is decent.

Consider building your own. Its not hard to do and you can make sure you get top quality and industry standard components so that you can upgrade in the future. You will also be in a better position to fix it if it dies. You won't necessarily save any money.

If you're getting an Apple, there's no real price advantage anywhere since Apple sets strict retail prices. However, you might find deals on Apple computers from retailers willing up upgrade memory or add a peripheral (usually an Epson printer) at no charge. You could save sales tax going online, though (IIRC) the online Apple Store charges state sales tax.

I bought my G4/450 dual from the online Apple store because I "custom built" it with more RAM and a larger HD. It's worth a look.

Sweetwater is an Apple dealer, but their quote was far higher than any other I'd received. Their pitch is that they optimize your G4 for pro audio before shipping it. To me, it wasn't worth the extra money.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

Consider building your own. Its not hard to do and you can make sure you get top quality and industry standard components so that you can upgrade in the future. You will also be in a better position to fix it if it dies. You won't necessarily save any money.

Ahhh, I don't know. My geek co-workers and I have come to the conclusion that it's worth having a machine built to your specs but that it's not worth building yourself. All it takes is a component with an intermittent problem and you're up the creek: you need substitute parts to diagnose the problem. We have computer repair shops around here that charge a minimal amount (like $80)to do the assembly and they'll warranty the work. Then you have a system that you can upgrade at will and someone to help you out when things go wrong.

Thanks everyone. If I get a PC, I'll probably build it myself (I just wanted to know what specs I needed). I've been using cakewalk, acid, and soundforge on my 166mmx and it was brutal!!!!!!

Graduating with a music degree in composition, I want a system that can handle scoring for a plethora of instruments, as well as some music production. Does anyone know what requirements I'd need to accomplish this for a mac and/or pc, ie sound card (motu), mhz, ram, etc.?

Archived