Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chord Progressions for....

Goldberg

Hey, I'm not great at theory, more particularly chord progressions, but I'd like to try and imitate U2's Where the Streets Have No Name, you know, in the first minute and 10 seconds or so where the pad is playing those chords (and later the organ joins in). Could someone help me out with these chords?
"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, all I can contribute is that the primary chord progression in the song is D(4 bars)-G-Bm-A-G.

I would offer (based on my recent memory of the song) that the opening pad is pretty much a variation on this theme, with some suspensions thrown in for variety.

Originally posted by Striker1080:

Hey, I'm not great at theory, more particularly chord progressions, but I'd like to try and imitate U2's Where the Streets Have No Name, you know, in the first minute and 10 seconds or so where the pad is playing those chords (and later the organ joins in). Could someone help me out with these chords?

Maybe these guys are talking about what you need. They say this progression is well used. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

I don't know the song but I just listened to the first 30 secs at a CD site (not sure if I heard the actually beginning as the song fades in, then out). Anyhow this is what I could determine under less than ideal circumstances:

This will be right hand chord starting with the lowest note/left bass note:

EAD/D, EAC#/D, EAC#/G, DGB/G, DF#BD/B (Bm chord), EAD/A, EAC#/A, ADG/D, ADF#/D...

You can figure it out ryhthmically.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

EAD/D, EAC#/D, EAC#/G, DGB/G, DF#BD/B (Bm chord), EAD/A, EAC#/A, ADG/D, ADF#/D....

Which lines up with the variation on the verse theme.

EAD/D = Dsus2

EAC#/D = Asus4 (the D insinuated)

EAC#/G = A7

DGB/G = G

DF#BD/B = B minor

EAD/A = Asus4 (no 3rd)

EAC#/A = A

ADG/D = Gsus2

ADF#/D = D

Archived