Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil sample memory advice

Mark Zeger

I want to max out the memory in my K2500RS from the current 64meg RAM. I found the specs for SIMMs on the Kurzweil website.

Can anyone recommend sources (other than those on the Kurzweil site) for buying SIMMs?

Can I do install memory myself without voiding the warranty? (might be expired already, bought the K2500 over a year ago) My only hardware installation experience is putting a PCI card in my G4, but I know several people far more experienced.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mzeger:

Can anyone recommend sources (other than those on the Kurzweil site) for buying SIMMs?.

This site has a good reputation. Not the best prices, but they are (or at least used to be) fairly competitive

http://www.mohawkmem.com

Just click on the icon for Kurzweil, they have ones they certify will work on kurz samplers.

Also check the postings at kurzlist @ yahoo groups, once in a while someone will post where they got the mem from recently, if it worked and what they paid.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Thanks, Rod and George

I called both of the places you recommended, along with a couple of others. What's frustrating is the wide range of prices quoted on what should be, essentially, a commodity. For a 64meg SIMMs, I received quotes ranging from $29 to $99! ($99 was Mohawk, Rod) If I looked for a 40gig 7200rpm hard drive, I wouldn't find prices varying by more than 300%. I understand the pricing volatility in the chip business, but is such a wide a range typical?

Is it easy to install the new memory? Do I need to simply touch the K2500R case to ground any static before handling the SIMMs? Any other precautions to protect the K2500R?

Thanks again for your help.

Archived