Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hammond module

mte

Hello,

Well, I have a Korg M1 and I'm going to change things a bit. I think I'll get a P80 or P120 as a piano keyboard. I'd also like to keep the M1 because it's not too bad for additional sounds, but the hammonds on M1 suck. So what I'd like is a hammonds module, if possible with some drawbars. Doesn't need to be too good (and high-priced because of this!) though.

Any reccomendations on what to look for?

Thanks,

Matej

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

err... an OberHeim OB3 ??

Is that too expensive? I dunno... but it sounds pretty good.

Check out those modules from VOCE , like the V5, too.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Voce V5 is a winner, but is perhaps more than you would want to spend (around $700 new and $550-600 used).

I've not played one, but Emu's B3 module has dropped in price radically to around $399 or maybe less if you shop around. I have heard that it has great organ sounds and the basic tones were sampled from John Novello's (Niacin) rig, so you would get some good organ sounds here. Problem is, there are no drawbars but just a bunch of samples of different settings. At this price point, that's not too shabby.

Another to consider is the Hammond XM1 which has a 1/2 rack module and a separate set of drawbars. It has the basic XB2 or XK2 architecture and sounds pretty good. Again, it might be pricier. I think they go for around $500 used.

The Oberheim OB3 squared module can be had for under $400 and the original OB3 module for even less. It's lower on the Hammond module food chain than the V5 or XM1, but still pretty passable.

Start trolling eBay for the above items or check the big chains for the Emu module and see who has the best price.

Good luck.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

Voce V5 is a winner, but is perhaps more than you would want to spend (around $700 new and $550-600 used).

A few months ago I was quoted under $600 for a new V5 (email me if you want the connection).

The V5 doesn't have a leslie simulator, which is drawback if you want to keep your live rig simple. I think they missed the boat leaving that out, but that's just me. It also less presets than the V3, but does have the drawbar unit integrated.

Thank you guys,

from what you posted it seems like the OB3 (btw, what's the difference between the original and square version?) would be the choice. I'm not looking for "the perfect B3 emulation", at least now because I'm short on cash. And I have never learned hammond styles before so the sound might not be so important till I don't learn to actually play the thing :D

Thanks,

Matej

Archived