Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SPDIF proteus into USB - SPDIF interface - into Mac Laptop?

Pro Jules

I am helping a chum out by setting her up with a home system, she has interest in orchestral sounds and knows cubase and lives in a tiny apartment, in fact she IS tiny herself!

Any how, on a budget I figured it stupid to come out of a digital sound device analog - then go back into a cheapo converter - just to get the 'once digital' sound iinto a digital DAW, hence the SPDIF idea....

will that fly? We might get the Yamaha ???500 USB card , ity has midi, SPDIF and switchable inst/mic/phantome built in...

Proteus has a SPDIF out...

clock problems?

Thanks!

Jules

Jules

Producer Julian Standen

London, UK,

Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be wrong and if so someone here can correct me, but I think you need to check the bit rate on the SPD/IF for each device to make sure they are compatible. As wave files can have different bit rates, so can SPD/IF connections. Some can be adjusted and some are fixed. I think this was a complaint with the SoundBlaster Live card. Make sure that the card you get has adjustable SPD/IF.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Jules, there are probably going to be clocking issues. Most keyboards have only digital outs and no way of accepting an input clock. They need to be the master clock. If the sound card that you're using allows itself to be clocked off the S/PDIF input signal, you're probably OK. The DACs on most keyboards are nothing to write home about, only a few of the newest ones are using 24-bit DACs. So, digital is the way to go if you can make it fly.

Busch.

I've gone out of SPDIF from a Proteus 2000 into a Mac and also a Yamaha 4416DAW. No problems as long as the Proteus is the master clock. I use DP so setting the clock source from there is simple. You also have the option in the proteus in selecting whether the signal is spdif or AES. I did not use a USB interface though for the audio, but I doubt that will be much of an issue.
Raul

Archived