Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone played an SP500 yet?

Bucktunes

I haven't seen or heard one yet, but it looks like a bit of an oddball. From the info on Korg's website, it seems like a cross between an SP100 and a Triton. I can't tell if it's a semi-pro keyboard or a fancy home unit. From their description of the sound set, I'm guessing it has a Triton engine, which would make it gig-worthy.

OTOH, the auto-accompaniment and lack of left hand controllers make me think it's designed as a home/home studio board that can do occasional gigs. And they're vague at best about its MIDI features.

It's priced in the S80/QS8 range. Anybody know more? Seen it, heard it, played it? Thanx in advance! :)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry for not answering sooner. I tried it out in Sam Ash about two weeks ago. I wasn't impressed with the action nor the piano sound. I have a P80 with great action and acoustic piano sound. However, I plan to go back and try it out again. I never really rely on first impressions. I'll let you know once I play it again.

I have played the SP500.

It is an arranger keyboard with 88 keys . No disk drive . Very limited recording . This keyboard is not "triton" sounds IMHO . The sounds are OK . The styles or OK . If you want a decent drum machine on your 88 note piano , than this could be a winner .

The SP500 competes with the so far successful ROland FP3 piano . The FP3 has drum loops (62 total) with 1 variation . The SP500 has 127 drum loops with 4 variations ( much better than Fp3) . The arrangerments are more musical on the Korg SP500 because of the 4 varitions . The SP500 does have a "touch screen " . Not good for changing sounds and variations on the fly IMHO.

The SP500 piano sample is better than the SP100 + SP200. The SP500 does have alot of sounds ( over 300?) . Is it better than the FP3 ?

Is the SP500 worth $300.00 more ? you have to answer that . ........ the SP500 looks cool !

dano

arranger guru

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Thanx Dano, CP! :thu: You've pretty well confirmed what I suspected; Cool for what it does, but definitely not my cup of tea.

Funny thing about Korg - They've made some of the coolest synths on the planet, but they don't seem very interested in making a pro-oriented digital piano. :confused: Maybe they just figure that's Roland and Yamaha's turf.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

I played one yesterday. Piece 'o crap. It looks cool, it's got a nice keybed, it's got a touch screen, it's got a lot going for it. Unfortunately, they loaded it up with a second-rate GM sound set. A Sound Canvas SC-55 leaves this thing in the dust sound-wise.

It was disappointing, I was expecting a new and improved version of the SGProX, but this is not it.

In their SP line, the SP100 is the one to get, IMHO. It's the cheapest, and it has a decent acoustic piano, and a reasonably decent Rhodes sound, with no velocity switching in either. The SP200 has basically the same sound set and features as the SP100, but introduces an annoying velocity-switch into the Rhodes patch.

The piano and rhodes sounds on the SP500 are, to be blunt, awful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** The only good velocity-switch is an inaudible velocity-switch ****

Archived