Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Who recorded the Oscars last night??

KTempo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did.. but I guess I'm a little too far ;)

I ended up watching it anyways... waste of time, I should have just fast forwarded the good parts.

John William's medley of movie themes was pretty cool. I was also curious about the movie theme presentations, since I know a lot of Enya's stuff can't really be played live. It was just her, and I doubt she was even singing. Sting did play it live from what it seemed, and so did paul mccartney.

Some interesting 'movie compilations' (can't remember what they call that). I was upset to hear in the in memoriam' segment about the death of one of the Hannah and Barbera guys ( was it Hannah?). As far as I'm concerned, bigger loss than Schultz and there was less of a fuzz. Or maybe I don't remember.

I really could care less about Whoopy and all her racial remarks. Some of it was appropriate, some of it was just out of line/immature/whatever. I wish I could remember some, I just tuned it out. Thumbs up to Halle Berry for her prize, thumbs down for her speech.

Alright, I'm rambling. I'm still a little drowsy from not enough sleep (It ended 3 am here).

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Was there any musician not excited for Randy Newman? Simply a brilliant writer who straddles the worlds of intelligent pop songwriting and masterful film scoring. Not nearly his best song for a movie ("When She Loved Me" from Toy Story 2 was better), and his scoring hasn't yet been awarded, but I'm thrilled that voters acknowleged his work.

The Cirque du Soleil segment was unnecessary, but spectacular.

Woody Allen...at the Academy Awards...how did he make it back to NYC for his Monday night clarinet gig?

Originally posted by Rod CA:

I was upset to hear in the in memoriam' segment about the death of one of the Hannah and Barbera guys ( was it Hannah?). As far as I'm concerned, bigger loss than Schultz and there was less of a fuzz. Or maybe I don't remember.

It was good to see that Chuck Jones was given some (small) recognition. To me, he'll always be the king of the animators. :thu:

I really could care less about Whoopy and all her racial remarks. Some of it was appropriate, some of it was just out of line/immature/whatever. I wish I could remember some, I just tuned it out. Thumbs up to Halle Berry for her prize, thumbs down for her speech.
Yeah...what the heck was up with that stuff? I was out late in Boston, got home after 11 and all the big awards hadn't even been given out yet. Then Halle comes up and completely freaks out in uncontrollable sobs. I love her as an actress, please don't get me wrong, but I thought it pretty unprofessional the way she rambled on and on through hysterics. I haven't seen Monster's Ball, but according to all the critics - she truly deserved to win the Oscar. So I kinda felt like by her making it so political she was diminishing her huge accomplishment. Like I said, I didn't see the whole show - maybe I missed something? But, I felt uncomfortable through some of the speeches and jokes, too. So, Kim, so far as I can tell, you really didn't miss much!

I fully expected Russell Crowe to win best actor, until I heard some of the comments from people as they made their way into the ceremonies. Oh well. He still gave a great performance in A Beautiful Mind. Any other year he would have won. Anyone who has not seen that movie should do so. I had been years since I was hit by a curve.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks Nelz, :wave:

I just wanted to see Halle, Whoopi... Oh well but that's cool though. I know I didn't miss much as with all other award shows. :rolleyes: Any musical performances, if any? There should've been some performances in that long drawn out 4&1/2 hour :bor: event.

Go figure!

My wife and I were both moved to tears by Halle Berry's response to her award. I guess I can understand why some people may have been baffled by her response, but racism seems to be a harsh reality in Halle Berry's experience. Unfortunately, whether it is intentional or not, African Americans are still shut out of some positions in our society. Last night a door opened, and Halle Berry was the first ever woman of color to win the best actress award. The fact that this never happened until the 21st century is embarrassing to me as an American.

You all are right. It shouldn't be an issue; but unfortunately, it is.

It's true; Halle Berry gave a tremendous performance (I saw Monster's Ball). However, no acting performance could compete with the power of this historical event, IMHO.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

I loved the reaction when Randy Newman won - standing O from the crowd and then he says "I don't want your pity!"

I fell outa my chair when he said "you're not going to cut me off, are you?" to John Williams and then said to the orchestra (I'm paraphrasing here) "Some of you guys have worked for me before, some of you may work for me again.."

And sure enough, he did not the musical interruptus. Yeah for Randy pulling the work card!!

As for Halle Berry, she earned it. It's her moment, let her play it however she wants. I've seen far more embarassing (Marlon Brando comes to mind) indulgences. The odds of ever getting that moment again are extremely low, so I think they can play their minute however they want.

And as amazing as Russell Crowe was, he just won last year and Denzel was pretty incredible. I'm the only one who saw Training Day that I've met, but he deserved it.

The whole show is huge, indulgent Hollywood (but I repeat myself ;) ) circle jerk - hooray for Hollywood!

Originally posted by Rod CA:

I did.. but I guess I'm a little too far ;)

I was upset to hear in the in memoriam' segment about the death of one of the Hannah and Barbera guys ( was it Hannah?). As far as I'm concerned, bigger loss than Schultz and there was less of a fuzz. Or maybe I don't remember.

I was saddened to see that Nigel Hawthorne had died - I had missed this.

I was also puzzled to hear that the best picture was about a "mathematician who overcame schizoprenia to win the Nobel Prize", given that there is no Nobel Prize for mathematics.

Originally posted by Rabid:

I fully expected Russell Crowe to win best actor, until I heard some of the comments from people as they made their way into the ceremonies. Oh well. He still gave a great performance in ?A Beautiful Mind?. Any other year he would have won. Anyone who has not seen that movie should do so. I had been years since I was hit by a curve.

Robert

Well, that's Oscar for you. Crowe should have won for "The Insider." "Gladiator" was a colsolation award. I haven't seen "A Beautiful Mind," but all reports are that he was better in "Mind" than in "Gladiator." He seemed a bit miffed to be the only one left out of the Great Opie Celebration.

On the other hand, I've heard that Denzel was excellent in "Training Day," and the guy SHOULD have won for "Malcolm X." That's the way Oscar works. Stick around. Keep making movies. We'll get around to voting for you one of these days.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived