Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Focusrite Penta the Holy Grail or a con?

Max Ventura

I just took delivery of a batch of Focusrite processors that were on sale from the distributor, so I thought of installing the Penta in my own studio in order to have a mic processor and stereo dynamics processor all in one without spendig too much and keeping the famed Focusrite quality. After all, I do very little vocals and they are not critic, usualy and as far as a dynamics processor I might just need some limiting/ compression on the whole mix and that's it.

Having connected it, i proceeded to hear some compression preset on the whole mix , and I couldn't hear nothing. Everything was engaged, and the gain reducing meters were working, but I could hear no particular change in dynamics whatsoever.

Even the mic pre was disappointing at a first listen. I didn't have time enough to deepen my trial, i will get back to it next week, but what are your opinions about it?

Max Ventura, Italy.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres a self admitted obnoxious reply but has always bugged me . Why does everyone say " I took delivery" instead of "I bought". With pizza I can understand but are we just reading to many Mix magazines or something? Actually thats another thing you can actually take delivery of.

OK - back to life.

Originally posted by Markyboard:

Heres a self admitted obnoxious reply but has always bugged me . Why does everyone say " I took delivery" instead of "I bought". With pizza I can understand but are we just reading to many Mix magazines or something? Actually thats another thing you can actually take delivery of.

OK - back to life.

Because not everything that is delivered is bought. Argomax is also a distributor, he must "take delivery" of a lot more than he buys!

-CB

i got very close to getting one myself. It was perfect on paper for what I needed. I read a mag review which was VERY favorable. The opinions that I got on the platinum range weren't very favorable however, specially with regard to craftmanship, long term reliability, and support.

I decided to hold on till I could afford some of the other, more expensive, devices I had my eyes on.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived