Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hobbies ? Anyone have one ?

Dan O

Just a little curios .

I play racquetball 3 times a week ! Lift a little weights . NO SIT UPS !

I also like photography .

I also like good movies . (haven't seen many recently) dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see... Well, music is a hobby, since it's not my day job.

Other than that... moutain biking and hiking weekends, during the week I try to keep in shape with jogging and weight training.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Same as Rod, music is my main hobby and seems to drain the funds from my day job. Food is a hobby I am trying to kick. Hiking and basketball are my favorite outdoor activities. I used to read a LOT. At least a book a day when I was in school. That has slowed down to maybe a book every three months now. I do have about 15 magazine subscriptions that keep me busy.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Besides music:

-Reading

-Walking and weight-lifting when possible

-Running the Youth Group at my church (and getting

ready to host spiritual retreats for youth)

-Civil War reenacting---(would do it all the time if

I could!)

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Music teeters between obsessive hobby and modest semi-pro revenue generator. I can't call it a hobby, though. Just can't bring myself to do it.

--I'll call radio theater a hobby though--ten years of writing producing perfroming some crazy s*it

John\'s crazy audio theater group

--Golf, basketball when I'm in good enough shape, walking, walking, walking 'cause it's helping me quit smoking. Again. "It's easy. I've done it a hundred times."

--Reading and sometimes still writing poetry; my past life. I used to was a college English teacher. Now I like a good short novel, like Hrabel's Too Loud a Solitude or Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 or anything by Martin Amis or David Malouf. Or Henry Miller's Black Spring. Or Elizabeth Maddox Roberts' The Time of Man.

Reading good books is great for your music!! As is taking walks and making new friends.

--I don't collect anything but things certainly do seem to collect around me.

--Listening to music, which I've been doing more of lately.

--Web surfing, i.e., coming here and shooting the shit with all you wonderful people.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

1. Music

2. Photography-candid photos nudge, nudge, wink, wink

3. Working Out (Weights and Aerobics)

4. Golf, Golf, Golf, Golf, Golf (did I mention...Golf)

5. Reading and Writing (am a published author)

6. Cooking

7. Video Games

6. Raquetball

1) music is not my fulltime job...yet, though i take it too seriously to call it a 'hobby' :rolleyes:

2) skateboarding

3) scootering

4) church

5) going out for coffee

that's how it is at the moment, not always in that order. i was gonna add the word consumation but didn't, and i don't really call my wife a 'hobby' either. ok, i'm gonna get slammed for this (perhaps), but this is all in jest (it's an acronym) -

Washing

Ironing

Food

Entertainment

:eek:

God bless our wives!!!!!!!! :D we love them

pray for peace,

kendall

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

Music is my job, my love, my passion. And I like to enjoy all aspects of life. I am a motor sport fan (used to race karts as a kid), love long walks with girlfriend in big parks or woods whenever possible, watching movies, teathre and dance, read quite a bit, really enjoy good eating, not to speak about good sex... :) No real "hobbies" I'm afraid, like seriously taking a sport, or stamp collection :D but I had a cartoon published once, many years ago :)

Music is certainly my #1 hobby. Recently rediscovered my trumpet chops while helping my daughter learn the instrument.

Love golf, but haven't played nearly as much as I should have the past 2 seasons. In Rochester, it can be a short season since we've had snow as late as Mothers Day and as early as Halloween. Four years ago, I lost my father who was deeply passionate about the game. I still have more golf balls than I'll use in a lifetime. I use his Big Bertha woods & irons ...a lot of kharma in those clubs.

Other interests: cooking and wine, contemporary art (Abstract Expressionism and Pop), travel (especially to France and Italy).

When I'm not offering unsolicited medical advice over the internet I like to play golf and cook, but most of my time is spent keeping my golden retreiver from destroying things and my wife from destroying the golden retreiver.

-Casey

Other than music ...

Mountain Biking - big time.

Home renovations - not so much by choice, but my wife always seems to want one more thing. Now it's a skylight in the kitchen. Next ... ???

Skiing

Scuba - but only when we go to warm water locations.

But my boys (10 months and 3 yrs) take up so much of my time these days, I don't have enough left for hobbies.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Here's mine...

Music - for the record, it stays on the top spot always :thu:

Church - be very thankful for the gift of music :D

Reading - only Paulo Coelho for fiction, the rest will be non-fiction

Films - got a soft spot for most things Italian/French

And in between all these (plus my day job)...

Hunting down a good-looking bassplayer with killer chops and phat tones to spend the rest of my life with :D

Hobbies...non-musical ones?

Okay...one I currently engage in is weightlifting. Not as heavily into it as when I was a bit younger, but I try to get to the gym as often as I can.

Ones I enjoy but am not as currently active as I'd like are Martial Arts (Kenpo), model railroading, and, one of these days, I want to get my private pilot's licence (just VFR, no instruments for me).

As for musical ones...one of my interests is helping my 15 year old daughter start her own band...and get her going as a guitar player.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

1. Music in all forms, playing or composing.

2. Hitting the Bulletin boards to see what you guys are talking about.

3. Just love Discovery Channel, History Channel. The Learning Channel.

I would have listed going to church but that is an obsession. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Outside of music?

1. Cruising the net and hanging out on forums like this one. So much so that I rarely watch TV anymore, unless it's the Discovery Channel or one of its offspring. (Learning, History, Animal Planet, etc.) Okay, maybe to catch a good old movie once in a while!

2. Airplanes. Commercial, private, military, you name it. If it flies and has an engine , I dig it. When I have time to kill between chores or gigs, I like to park by the airport and just watch the planes come and go. I'd also love to get a private pilot's license someday when I have nothing better to spend 6 or 7 grand on. :( Oh, well. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with my flight sim for a while!

3. Practicing my faith. NOT preaching it or arguing it on music forums! ;)

4. Hanging with my wife and taking care of "business" at home! ;)

The reason I disqualified music as a hobby is because I do it for a living and love it. It's too hard to distinguish between business and pleasure. Some of the stuff I come up with when I'm just goofing around ends up being useful on the gig. Some of the projects I do for fun end up making money, so where do you draw the line? :)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Besides from Music (Hobby & occupation) and surfing the expert forums, my main intrests in no particular order:

Photography, Art (esp. paintings, sculpture, installations), Architecture, Movies, Reading, Malt Whisky (& Cognac, Calvados), Traveling, Bicycling, Family, Cooking.

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Well, obviously...playing, arranging, recording, listening to and writing and talking about music.

That takes up a bunch of time...

Besides that? Hanging with my dogs, watching movies (I'm pretty into the surround thing), playing video games with my boy...matter of fact, hanging with the kid in general happily accounts for a decent chunk of my time. I usually manage to make it to the gym 3 or 4 times a week...I'm also into cooking, travel (46 states and 27 countries so far), football, chess and scuba diving. I also dig going for long walks.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by mats.olsson@rockfile.se:

Besides from Music (Hobby & occupation) and surfing the expert forums, my main intrests in no particular order:

Photography, Art (esp. paintings, sculpture, installations), Architecture, Movies, Reading, Malt Whisky (& Cognac, Calvados), Traveling, Bicycling, Family, Cooking.

/Mats

Gee wiz, Mats, don't be so single-minded, ya know?

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

...watching movies, playing video games... I usually manage to make it to the gym 3 or 4 times a week...I'm also into cooking, travel (46 states and 27 countries so far), football, chess and scuba diving. I also dig going for long walks.

dB

Wow!!!! Add romanitic evenings in front of the fireplace and I'm there, big guy. :D

A diverse group! That's great. Keyboardists are by no means one-dimensional folks.

As for me, in addition to music, racing bicycles (Cat 3 road racer and occcasional mountain bike racer).

Chris

Archived