Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheap Thrills...

Okay folks... we've done this before (I think) but it's been a while.... please tell us about your favorite "cheap thrill". NO, not THAT, I'm talkin' gear here. Something in the "affordable" class that makes you go "wow!" You know... things with almost silly price / performance ratios. So, what do you have / like / want? Come on - Christmas is right around the corner, and I need stocking stuffer ideas... :D :wave:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The RNC still makes me sit up and take notice when I plug it it. I just love the sound of that thing. Same thing with my FilterFactory; there's seemingly no end of cool things that I can do with it! Of course, there's all of the high-end toys that make me absolutely drool: 1073's, AD2044's, etc.... :p "I'm dreaming of a green/ Focusrite!" Cheers! Spencer
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

My casio keyboard from the early eighties. Had a sample button and a microphone. Press sample button and make a noise into it. Then you can here aforementioned noise in whatever key you want. Couldnt have originally cost more that 20 bucks but it is a blast. --------- findley(------Rocking the Suburbs Just like Quiet Riot did.

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

For live musicians only: I bought a little "flamethrower" at the local magician shop. It has a single AA battery, model airplane engine glowplug, a pushbutton switch, and a tube; its small enough to hide in your hand. You wad a piece of flash paper (also from the magician shop), into the tube, then when you press the switch it throws a ball of fire out about ten feet!! I use this during my fiddle solo on "Orange Blossom Special", during the key change I point my arm out and WHOOOSH shoot a ball of fire across the dance floor! I'm a lousy fiddler but this gets the crowd going, great fun. (you need to be avoid afros and girls with "mall" hair....) :idea: :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I picked up a Hohner harmonica ("Big River Harp") a little while ago that cost next to nothing, is totally analogue, extremely portable (though I haven't tried taking it on a plane yet, or better, PLAYING it on a plane...), needs no electricity and is very sensitive to my performative input. The ideal stocking stuffer, even for the musician who has sixty of 'em already. rt

[quote]Originally posted by realtrance: [b]I picked up a Hohner harmonica [/b][/quote]I've goofed around with those before, but I can never get just a single note out of them. All I get is a bunch of awful sounding chords. :confused:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Boy, there are some expensive cheap thrills here! I would love to get any of them in my stocking (esp the baby bass). If I had received any of these things for Christmas, it would have been my birthday present too. :) Cheap thrills: Ebow good guitar slide cable tester blank cd's A/B footswitch tuner metronome Heck, all of those in some kind of gig bag or road case would be under $300. Are you listening grandma?

[quote]Originally posted by Mike Findley: [b]My casio keyboard from the early eighties. Had a sample button and a microphone. Press sample button and make a noise into it. Then you can here aforementioned noise in whatever key you want. Couldnt have originally cost more that 20 bucks but it is a blast. --------- findley(------Rocking the Suburbs Just like Quiet Riot did.[/b][/quote]There was one at our house. We had more fun with that thing, especially making the sampled sounds play that weird pseudo-classical demo thing with various simulated burps, farts, etc.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Sklar: [b]Some that come to mind are the Rode NTK, the Oktava MC012, the Joe Meek VC3, and Pluggo. Pluggo rocks! Steve Sklar/Big Sky[/b][/quote]Is the MC012 the same mic as the MK012 listed on Octava's website? I'm going to record my mom on a nice concert grand piano in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking about ordering a pair of these for the project.

-Steve

-----------------------------------

Sometimes ya gotta find out what it ain't, to find out what it is...

[quote]Originally posted by evets: [b]Is the MC012 the same mic as the MK012 listed on Octava's website? I'm going to record my mom on a nice concert grand piano in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking about ordering a pair of these for the project.[/b][/quote]Yup, it's the same mic. And I agree - they're silly price / performance performers! Very nice mics! There's been some great suggestions on this list, and I'll probably come back and agree with some more of them... but I wanted to list one I didn't see yet... Danelectro DC-12 electric 12 string guitar. Total mother of toliet seat sparkle finish (iow, pretty gnarly looking) but they play and sound great, and you can usually snag one for around $200. IMO, a great deal! Anyone else?

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: Yup, it's the same mic. And I agree - they're silly price / performance performers! Very nice mics... ------------------------------------------- Thanks Philip...they've been ordered!

-Steve

-----------------------------------

Sometimes ya gotta find out what it ain't, to find out what it is...

There are these amps, Little Smokies, that are made into old cigarette packs and sell for about 25 bucks. I'm addicted to these things, I have eight right now. They have great response to picking dynamics, and can go from very clean to distorted/sustainy by just picking harder. They have such a great sound in the mix, b/c they give you only the frequencies that you "really" need. They're one of those things that might not sound great soloed, but are awesome in the context of a mix. My theory is that micing such a small speaker translates well to bigger speakers, whereas the reverse isn't always true. I have eight, b/c I'm actually using them to mix with :) I'll actually bus different tracks to them and bring them back up under the original. It's great! I can actually wah wah stuff after the fact just by cupping my hand around the damn thing! I also regularly send drum machine tracks to them and place them n top of the respective peices of an acoustic drum kit to get some resonance. My other cheap thrill would have to be crystal element mics.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[b]Phil[/b], good topic - I like this thread! There are many good choices already listed! :thu: Just about any software synthesizer would fit into the price ranges given above. Some good ones, like [url=http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/download.html]Crystal[/url] and [url=http://www.muon-software.com/html/tau.html]Muon Tau[/url] are even free! :eek: - There are some cool control surfaces in this price range as well: • The [url=http://www.contouravs.com/cav_shuttlepro_info.html]Contour ShuttlePRO[/url] is a jog & shuttle controller and more. • The [url=http://www.piengineering.com/product/pxkpro.htm]X-keys Pro[/url] provides instant access to over 58 programmable keyboard combinations. • The [url=http://www.m-audio.com/products/midiman/oxygen8.php]Oxygen8[/url] is dubbed as a "Portable Soft Synth Controller." It allows you to control any eight MIDI assignable parameters within your software programs. - This may not be a thrill, but it could help you hear thrilling music for years to come: [url=http://www.proplugs.com/music.html]Doc\'s Pro Plugs[/url] help protect ears from dangerous moderately loud high frequencies, while allowing the listener to hear music with clarity. Happy shopping! :) Best, Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

[quote]Originally posted by Brakka: [b] Cheap thrills: Ebow good guitar slide [/b][/quote]I couldn't find my Ebow for a couple of weeks... and if you own a studio and / or play guitar, you HAVE to have an Ebow! :) I figured I had "loaned" it to someone or someone had "borrowed" it. So I ran out to Gtr Ctr and bought another one about two months ago. Tonight I was going through one of my cable bags, and sure enough, there it was. So now I have two - I'll keep 'em both just in case one gets "lost" and / or they discontinue them again. I have two slides - one's an original Coricidin bottle from the sixties (thanks grandma!) and the other is a reproduction. I guard the first one like you wouldn't believe...

And here I thought I was doing some unique! I love using my ebow while playing slide. The harmonics and feedback can be really cool sounding. I bring it out during some more traditional Blues tunes to add an almost psychedelic type of atmosphere. The audiences really dig it too. Last weekend, I had people yelling for that "bow thing".

The gear-slut's ultimate cheap thrill of the week: [img]http://www.griffintechnology.com/images/home_feature_pm.gif[/img] [url=http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/index.html]Griffin PowerMate[/url] /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

2 cheap thrills I just got through my credit card rewards for $3.99 each. 1) A little keychain 30 second idea recorder... This thing kicks ass, but it plays back at another speed, so I have to at least remember the original key the idea was in...And it only keeps one idea at a time... I think I need an upgrade! 2) A pair of small binoculars, great for when you are way back from the stage at a killer show...

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

[quote]Originally posted by Kris: [b]2 cheap thrills I just got through my credit card rewards for $3.99 each. 1) A little keychain 30 second idea recorder... This thing kicks ass, but it plays back at another speed, so I have to at least remember the original key the idea was in...And it only keeps one idea at a time... I think I need an upgrade! [/b][/quote]I can keep multiple voice notes on my cell phone of about 10 second clips. It's a very cool feature.
I really don't know what to put here.

Archived