Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Practicing -- standing versus sitting

LiveMusic

Since I'm learning to play keyboard and will be standing during gigs, would it be wise to always stand when I practice?

Do you sit or stand at your gigs?

Do you think it looks odd if you sit during a gig? I guess it kinda messes up the "look" of the stage since everyone is standing except the drummer. However, my fave piano/keys guy, who is one helluva rocker / boogie woogie dude, he sits. And it sure doesn't bug me at all. Of course, this guy is the greatest I've ever seen, so that helps.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Since I'm learning to play keyboard and will be standing during gigs, would it be wise to always stand when I practice?

Do you sit or stand at your gigs?

Do you think it looks odd if you sit during a gig? I guess it kinda messes up the "look" of the stage since everyone is standing except the drummer. However, my fave piano/keys guy, who is one helluva rocker / boogie woogie dude, he sits. And it sure doesn't bug me at all. Of course, this guy is the greatest I've ever seen, so that helps.

Its much better to sit. That way you have two feet for operating pedals, or just for tapping. Tapping a foot (or three) really is a good way to keep the rythm. A lot of boogie players have dancing feet.

I have three pedals under my rig (volume, sustain, lesley). Playing standing up, I always feel like I am about to fall on my bum everytime I reach for a pedal - that definitely would mess up the look. So definitely practice standing if you are going to play that way.

Now, Marcia Ball sits sideways with her legs crossed, taps her right foot on the left foot of her X stand, and plays like a house afire. And you can't say she has a messed up look!

Duke: I would not recommend playing standing up. It makes it hard to work the damper pedal on the piano. You end up putting all your weight on your left foot to leave your right foot available for the pedal. This gets very tiring over the span of a nightly gig, plus will screw up your back! Sitting is much more comfortable; but then I learned the piano sitting. Stand on certain songs only for visual effect if you feel the need and that will make for more visual effect when you do it. My comments come from 30 years of playing professionally and doing both the standing and sitting thing. IMHO ;) nitecrawler
"Time to head down that old Colorado highway pardner."

Archived