Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha S03 synth opinions?

skier4467

Now that it's been out awhile...I wonder what the consensus on this synth. It seems to have good features for around $499. I'm looking to rehearse and occasionally use it at my band's gigs. (I'm a guitarist). I heard it has very good Rhodes sounds and alright organs, pianos, pads, and electric pianos. That's what I'm looking for.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been using the S03 for 5 months now. I use it live. I have had many different keyboards over the past 25 years and have found the S03 to be one of the best sounding synthesizers for the money. The biggest drawback is the quality of the keyboard. It does not lend itself to good playing technique. I use mine midied with a weighted action keyboard. This is the trick to getting the most out of this synth. If you are going to use it for fill cords, simple runs, etc. then it will do fine on it's own. The Rhodes sounds are some of the best! (I played a Rhodes for many years) The synth and pad sounds are also good. The acoustic piano sounds are what's lacking. The instrument has held up very well. I find it easy to program. It also comes with editing software to use with your computer. For the money (I paid $430 new) you can't go wrong with it. I feel that the S03 is best used as an addition to a primary keyboard(s), not as a stand alone unit, but will do fine if advanced playing technique in not required on it. Hope this helps ;)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Originally posted by Krakit:

I've had my fingers crossed for about a year that Yamaha will see fit to produce a module based on this engine.

Carl

I think I paid 399 for mine at a "one day only" sale. It works ok. The piano is weak. The electric pianos are nice. There are some useful organ sounds. A number of the other instrumental sounds are useable without being brilliant. There are a number of quite good synth sounds.

I find the action to be ok. Its unweighted, of course. There is no aftertouch.

It is not enormously programmable and I don't think its expandable. Its a good deal at the price but I would probably for a higher end machine if I had a do-over (possibly even one of its larger brothers)

Oh, BTW, the SO3 on the case is in a rather florid scrpt, and everyone reads the 3 as a B!

Originally posted by Byrdman:

I've had my fingers crossed for about a year that Yamaha will see fit to produce a module based on this engine.

Carl

I think I paid 399 for mine at a "one day only" sale. It works ok. The piano is weak. The electric pianos are nice. There are some useful organ sounds. A number of the other instrumental sounds are useable without being brilliant. There are a number of quite good synth sounds.

It is not enormously programmable and I don't think its expandable. Its a good deal at the price but I would probably for a higher end machine if I had a do-over (possibly even one of its larger brothers)

Oh, BTW, the SO3 on the case is in a rather florid scrpt, and everyone reads the 3 as a B!

LOL!! I never looked at it quite like that! I look foward to someone coming up to me asking what kind of a SOB keyboard is that! :D

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Originally posted by keyoctave:

Originally posted by Byrdman:

Carl

LOL!! I never looked at it quite like that! I look foward to someone coming up to me asking what kind of a SOB keyboard is that! :D
One other thing - it uses a wall wart, which is awkward, particularly as its one of those that hogs two outlets in the power strip.

However, less it seems I am being totally agin it, it takes two pedals (1 switch 1 continous) has a full midi implementation, the outputs are quiet, and its real light.

I have played a Korg Trinity for quite awhile, but have prefered playing this keyboard much more, with it only being a quarter of the price. You don't have to worry as much about taking it outside as you do the touch screen, and I like the sounds much better. I midi it to a Voce module for organ sounds, so I actually like the light action. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a knob to scroll through sounds, as the up button is probably getting kind of tired of me frantically pushing it during gigs.

I have played a Korg Trinity for quite awhile, but have prefered playing this keyboard much more, with it only being a quarter of the price. You don't have to worry as much about taking it outside as you do the touch screen, and I like the sounds much better. I midi it to a Voce module for organ sounds, so I actually like the light action. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a knob to scroll through sounds, as the up button is probably getting kind of tired of me frantically pushing it during gigs.

Archived