Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Underground Music From Germany

Imbecilia

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Imbecilia:

Originally posted by nursers:

And your point is?

Nothing I expect....

I am pointless, yes, great holy man (or whatever).
Well Imbecilia, if you took the time to read the message board and check out the Let\'s Hear It thread, post a few critiques of other peoples music, and become a part of the community then people would happily check out your music when you decide to place a post within the lets hear it thread. When you jump onto the message board and your first thread is nothing more than an advertisement for your music people consider it spam.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Originally posted by Rabid:

And your point is?

Nothing I expect....

Well Imbecilia, if you took the time to read the message board and check out the Let\'s Hear It thread, post a few critiques of other people's music, and become a part of the community then people would happily check out your music when you decide to place a post “within” the let's hear it thread. When you jump onto the message board and your first thread is nothing more than an advertisement for your music people consider it spam.

Robert

It`s not really advertisement. Call it information. On the site you can`t buy CDs or anything else. It`s only over a dozen of MP3s of different artists and some words.

I thought some people might be interested in foreign undergound music. Seems not to be so.

Sorry.

Laconic Deconstructivism

------------------------

Visit me:

..hexaChord - independent movement for artificial arts..

Originally posted by Rabid:

quote:

And your point is?

Nothing I expect....
Well Imbecilia, if you took the time to read the message board and check out the
thread, post a few critiques of other people's music, and become a part of the community then people would happily check out your music when you decide to place a post “within” the let's hear it thread. When you jump onto the message board and your first thread is nothing more than an advertisement for your music people consider it spam.

Robert
It`s not really advertisement. Call it information. On the site you can`t buy CDs or anything else. It`s only over a dozen of MP3s of different artists and some words.

I thought some people might be interested in foreign undergound music. Seems not to be so.

Sorry.

People here are interested in all kinds of music. It's just an unwritten rule to post in the "Let's Hear It" thread, to keep the forum from turning into advertising/promotion/spamming, intentional or not. It's a good place to show and discuss your music, ideas, gear and techniques- the level is maintained by common agreement. So no sweat, just post in the Let's Hear It thread and stick around for the drinks and chit chat.

-CB

Originally posted by Dan South:

Coul somebody please explain to me what the f**k "Underground" music is? What is it, music played by worms? Songs from the coal mines? It's just another pretentious marketing term, if you ask me.

I have a "Pretentious Sonata". Wanna listen to?

Laconic Deconstructivism

------------------------

Visit me:

Come on Dan - you're not usually so testy!

:eek:

Coul somebody please explain to me what the f**k "Underground" music is? What is it, music played by worms? Songs from the coal mines? It's just another pretentious marketing term, if you ask me.
As I understand it, 'underground' music simply refers to non-top 40, emptee-vee, clearchannel, payola crap. Genres that aren't mainstream. Styles that don't gel with what one thinks of as 'popular music'.

So by that meaning 'underground' is really more a personal definition than a widely accepted truth. For instance, I listen to lots of electronic music, so to me idm, ambient, jungle, hard house - aren't underground styles. They are my soundscape, my reality. However I do know most people don't consider these sounds mainstream. So, most would call it underground . Is it a pretentious marketing tool? Maybe there is something hip and indie associated with being underground, but that depends on your perception of what 'cool' even is. Besides there's nothing that you wear, eat, drive, play...that isn't influenced by marketing. That's the goal of advertising (and a completely different topic...time for my riddlin! Okay just kidding, ADD jokes are so - hey pass the salt....)

Since writing about music is like dancing about architecture (and there was already a thread devoted to this topic anyway, which presented lots of interesting and useful definitions), the best way to find out is by listening, rather than by reading: turn your FM radio dial to 91.1 (Newark, NJ) or your Internet browser to www.wfmu.org and you will hear LOTS of underground music. Some of it is, indeed, pretentious, and some of it is not.

I was just wondering if it is the same music that was called "underground" 25 years ago. Is it one of those stupid terms like "new age" that only confuses people 20 years later?

Robert

This post edited for speling.

I wouldnt say all of the following are underground, but they are some of my favorite small labels in Germany, with an example of the artists they have signed and I enjoy:

City Centre Offices - Christian Kleine, Arovane, Static

Mille Plateaux - Carsten Nicolai, Terre Thaemlitz, SND, Rip-Off Artist, Thomas Köner, Pluramon, Ultra Red, Vladislav Delay, VA (Clicks and Cuts comps), Ekkehard Ehlers, Frank Bretschneider

Morr Music - Bernard Fleischmann, ISAN, Lali Puna, Accelera Deck, Mum, Tied & Tickled Trio, Phonem

Musik Aus Strom - Funkstörung, Michael Fakesch, Crunch, Andre Estermann, Electric Sheep

Shitkatapult - Nanospeed, Rechenzentrum

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Originally posted by aeon:

I wouldn't say all of the following are underground, but they are some of my favorite small labels in Germany, with an example of the artists they have signed and I enjoy:

City Centre Offices - Christian Kleine, Arovane, Static

Mille Plateaux - Carsten Nicolai, Terre Thaemlitz, SND, Rip-Off Artist, Thomas Köner, Pluramon, Ultra Red, Vladislav Delay, VA (Clicks and Cuts comps), Ekkehard Ehlers, Frank Bretschneider

Morr Music - Bernard Fleischmann, ISAN, Lali Puna, Accelera Deck, Mum, Tied & Tickled Trio, Phonem

Musik Aus Strom - Funkstörung, Michael Fakesch, Crunch, Andre Estermann, Electric Sheep

Shitkatapult - Nanospeed, Rechenzentrum

Would you call Bands with a Label-Contract as "Underground"? I would not.

Laconic Deconstructivism

------------------------

Visit me:

Would you call Bands with a Label-Contract as "Underground"?

perhaps, yes, but that is also why I started my post with:

I wouldnt say all of the following are underground...
So, did you actually read what I said, or just react to the fact I posted? :confused:

Found at Merriam-Webster :

Main Entry: un·der·ground

Pronunciation: '&n-d&r-"graund

Function: adjective

Date: 1610

1: being, growing, operating, or situated below the surface of the ground

2: conducted by secret means

3 a: existing outside the establishment b: existing outside the purview of tax collectors or statisticians

4 a: produced or published outside the establishment especially by the avant-garde <underground movies> <underground newspapers> b: of or relating to the avant-garde underground

:wave:

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

I wouldn't say all of the following are underground...
So, did you actually read what I said, or just react to the fact I posted? :confused:
A good German label is MONIKA with for example the very good BARBARA MORGENSTERN (take Aphex Twin plus a good female Singer/Songwriter). But, as I said, I would not call this Underground.

Underground for me is music from Artists without a contract. There is much on the web and most is poor (thx to Music Maker, Techno Maker and all of those VA-Synths...) so you have a problem to find better / more sophisticated stuff.

hexaChord is a more or less uncommercial site with four unique artists at the moment. You nowhere else will find a Czar Valentin or a Perchteuropa.

Because of the infos are in German you may not understand the stories behind the music - but is not the music itself the more imprortant thing? More important than a language problem I think...

:bor:

Laconic Deconstructivism

------------------------

Visit me:

A good German label is MONIKA with for example the very good BARBARA MORGENSTERN

Yes, I know of her. :) Barbara Morgensterns Fjorden was one of my favorite albums for the year 2000. The title track was stunning, and I also thought Eine Verabredung was lovely in how the chorus was so epic, sweeping and lush. The bassline in Teil Fur Teil also moves serious air on a good system. ;)

Originally posted by soapbox:

Found at Merriam-Webster :

Main Entry: un·der·ground

Pronunciation: '&n-d&r-"graund

Function: adjective

Date: 1610

1: being, growing, operating, or situated below the surface of the ground

2: conducted by secret means

3 a: existing outside the establishment b: existing outside the purview of tax collectors or statisticians

4 a: produced or published outside the establishment especially by the avant-garde <underground movies> <underground newspapers> b: of or relating to the avant-garde underground

:wave:

My music exists outside of the establishment, but I don't consider myself to be "underground." Now, if I were smuggling illegal songs into countries with despotic anti-music laws, maybe...

Underground seems to be a synonym for "unknown" (or at least, "not widely known"). It's just cooler when you call your self "underground." It's a euphamism. It's like when you ask someone if they play bass, and they say, "No, I play SIX-STRING bass," or "No, I play FRETLESS bass."

Wank! Wank! Wank!

Ooh, I hope that made you FEEL better, because now I think you're a total LOSER!!

Gimme a break with the "underground" crapola.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I wouldn't say all of the following are underground...
A good German label is MONIKA with for example the very good BARBARA MORGENSTERN (take Aphex Twin plus a good female Singer/Songwriter). But, as I said, I would not call this Underground.

Underground for me is music from Artists without a contract. There is much on the web and most is poor (thx to Music Maker, Techno Maker and all of those VA-Synths...) so you have a problem to find better / more sophisticated stuff.

hexaChord is a more or less uncommercial site with four unique artists at the moment. You nowhere else will find a Czar Valentin or a Perchteuropa.

Because of the infos are in German you may not understand the stories behind the music - but is not the music itself the more imprortant thing? More important than a language problem I think...

:bor:

I would not define a thing by what it is not but by what it is. "(un)signed to a label" is meaningless- an unsigned artist might be a slave to mass-media cliches, a conformist without even the dignity of having a concrete authority to rebel against, and a signed artist might own their own record company or be "signed" to a label that is nothing more than a handful of friends and family with a common vision.

Here is my definition of Underground, as I wrote in another, earlier, thread.

What is underground?

-Dead bodies and sewage.

What is underground?

-Roots and powerlines.

I would call Czar Valentin an underground artist, in the same way I consider Steve LeBlanc (you can find his music here) an underground artist. That is, roots and powerlines, out of sight of mass media, not academic, but conducting the life-blood of tradtional musicianship in a contemporary form (not museum caretaking). Love the bio, and fine artist. :)

By my definition the other artists I listened to at your site are not making underground music and I would say, when making recordings of electronic music the first issue to deal with is the difference between a thing and a picture of a thing.

-Cameron Bobro

I would call Czar Valentin an underground artist, in the same way I consider Steve LeBlanc (you can find his music here) an underground artist. That is, roots and powerlines, out of sight of mass media, not academic, but conducting the life-blood of tradtional musicianship in a contemporary form (not museum caretaking). Love the bio, and fine artist. :)

By my definition the other artists I listened to at your site are not making underground music and I would say, when making recordings of electronic music the first issue to deal with is the difference between a thing and a picture of a thing.

-Cameron Bobro

Schön, daß Du Dir es wenigstens angehört hast. (Du verstehst das doch jetzt, oder?).

WIeso würdest Du die anderen drei Künstler nicht als Underground bezeichnen? Zu kommerziell? Danke!

Laconic Deconstructivism

------------------------

Visit me:

Schön, daß Du Dir es wenigstens angehört hast. (Du verstehst das doch jetzt, oder?).

WIeso würdest Du die anderen drei Künstler nicht als Underground bezeichnen? Zu kommerziell? Danke!

Imbecilia, could you write that once more in English for the class please?

Danke,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Originally posted by soapbox:

Imbecilia, could you write that once more in English for the class please?

Danke,

Geoff

It`s not for everyone, sorry. ;-)

Laconic Deconstructivism

------------------------

Visit me:

It`s not for everyone, sorry. ;-)
Well, for what it's worth here's the babelfish translation:

Beautifully that you belonged yourself it at least. (you understand nevertheless now, or?). WIeso you would not define the other three artists than Underground? Too commercially? Thanks!

Jerry

Edit- Soapbox is right (see below). The topic of "what is underground" was discussed in another forum here at musicplayer, we should discuss it again with other ideas and viewpoints here at the Keyboard Corner.

I'm off to the Frankfurt Messe in a few minutes, see everyone in a couple of days!

-CB

Archived