Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are Canadians dumb, or what?

Sometimes The Keyboard magazine have "gear giveaway" and in #3 of the official rules, you can see that the Canadians have a special rule.

I quote:

"In order to win a prize, residents of Canada will be required to answer a mathematical skill testing question to be administered via telephone."

Can't a Canadian with limited intelligence win?

Anybody know what this is all about?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The correct answer is B)- or what?

You see, Canadians are extraordinarily lucky.

A few examples:

Lucky to live in one of the most beautiful and endowed countries in the world.

Lucky to have a decent, fair, and unoppressive government.

Lucky to have wonderful friends and neighbours all over the world.

And the best part is that we're lucky to have the room to share these blessings and opportunities with anyone who cares to join us.

So obviously, this little codicil in the rules is an attempt to level the playing field!

"Hello sir, your name has been drawn as the winner in the Keyboard Magazine giveaway. for you to win the prize, you'll need to answer three questions."

"sweet! you need my address, right?"

"Just answer these questions, sir.

#1: what is Brett Hull's jersey number."

"you're asking a hockey question about an American player? what the hull! i don't know, 47?"

"#2: how many keys on a 49-key keyboard?"

"did i get the last one right? uh, this must be a trick question- i'll say 52."

"#3: how many Canadians does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

"ah... well, i usually do it myself, but sometimes i have help. two? no... yeah, two."

"thank you for entering, please try again."

"what?!!"

trying to reply seriously...

Actually, I always though the test was to ensure that some joe schmoe (how do you spell that ;) ) couldn't subscribe to the give away then sell the gear for booze.

But then again, maybe it doesn't ensure that.

I think you should have to answer music related questions, like :

"Describe how you would program the synth sound for ELP's Lucky Man in Emo's own Modular Moog"

:cool:

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I saw this thread a while ago, but I'd thought I would just wait to see if someone else would answer. To win any contest in Canada, you will be asked a skill testing question. This is because of an old gambling/lottery law. With the skill testing question it is no longer a lottery. BTW the skill testing question something really hard like 27+ 32-3=?. Something even you Americans could answer.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Actually, you'll notice that in many such contests, residents of Quebec are excluded. Some people attach some sort of politico/language issue to this but in fact the reasons are very simple. In the distant past, there were many abuses with so called giveaways or contests and the government's gaming commission set up strict rules whereby the prizes needed to by guaranteed by posting a bond with the Quebec lottery commission.

In the case of a large Canada wide contest by Kelloggs, Sears or GM etc, posting a bond is no problem whereas a relatively smaller contest such as a magazine giveaway would exclude Quebec rather posting the bond. While the intention is sound, imagine if every state required a bond posted for the full prize value until it was determined that the contest was fairly held.

I'm not a lawyer but I believe that the so called skill testing question is so that the contest is more than a lottery.

Andy

To win any contest in Canada, you will be asked a skill testing question. This is because of an old gambling/lottery law. With the skill testing question it is no longer a lottery.

thanks for explaining that, guys. weird, but i get it.

27+ 32-3=?.

47 ?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by MrDGreen:

I heard that they used to ask both Americans and Canadians the skill-testing math question, but none of the americans could ever give the correct answer...

Hey Buddy, I know where you live, and soon as head south this summer,I`m gonna have a few words with you. Casey lol

"Let It Be!"

Archived