Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who was (were) the LAST true rock star(s)?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmmm...I don't think it's dead, to tell you the truth. I think to a degree, it's watered down. I mean, so many bands these days. Back in my day (chewing on a weed with a grandfatherly voice)...the choices were relatively few, your basic "Who, Zeppelin, Stones etc." type thing. But it's really exploded these days...'cause I'd call bands from Blink 182 to Godsmack and all "rock stars". I mean, more so than Britney. Britney's a pop star.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The last pop star(s) went up not in those days: MJ, Rolling Stones, Queen, Pink Floyd, Madonna and many others forget crap like B.Spears, R.Williams, ....

:) Features Are Not An Opinion. :)

(John Hope, 2003)

http://johnhope.blogspot.com/

Addresse:

UIPLPPICDSS

Ufficio Internazionale Per La Presa Per Il Culo Dei Sbruffoni Statunitensi

Att. Tua Sorella

Codice Mavapigliatelindomo

Pirla Chi Legge

It was a bigger deal back then. We waited long months for a new Zep or Tull or Stones or Floyd album to be released. You can be sure we got together in a dark den of iniquity that night to immerse ourselves in the glory of it. Every lyric and chord progession was thoroughly analyzed for hidden meaning. And the albums had sleeves with pictures on them. Remember the pictures? Did you ever fling an album into space? They could really fly. We once took my friend's sister's 45 collection outside and flung them as far as we could. It was so bitchen. Boys will be boys.

I admit, I've always put them in three categories. 1. "Rock Stars", Those who worked more at projecting an image while doing from passable to very good music. David Bowie comes to mind in this category, as he was always somebody ELSE while onstage, and not himself. Alice Cooper would be another. 2. "Rock Musicians". Those guys who were more concerned with dazzling us with the music, and didn't give a shit about image. Grand Funk, Humble Pie, Yes and Zappa fit this. To name a very few. 3. "Both." A mix of the first two, there were, and are, those who try their best to push the envelope musically while maintaining some kind of facade. Generally found among a scant few of the mid-'80's "metal" bands. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]It was a bigger deal back then. We waited long months for a new Zep or Tull or Stones or Floyd album to be released. You can be sure we got together in a dark den of iniquity that night to immerse ourselves in the glory of it. Every lyric and chord progession was thoroughly analyzed for hidden meaning. And the albums had sleeves with pictures on them. Remember the pictures? Did you ever fling an album into space? They could really fly. We once took my friend's sister's 45 collection outside and flung them as far as we could. It was so bitchen. Boys will be boys.[/b][/quote]Yeahhhhh!!! Album covers. Each release a special event.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I have a PA. I get "volunteered" by my wife (VP of the PTA), to be the "free DJ" at the elementary school my kids go to when there's an evening type event... If "rock stars" are in part, made by teenage kids, particularly boys... Then based on the kids I hear from, there's no question who the biggest rock star(s) are today. Linkin' Park. There's NO ONE in their league for the 8 - 13 year old boys. Blink 182 comes in a far distant second. But it's like 10 to 1 for LP. Whoever put those guy's marketing plan together. Hire him. He's a wizard. guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Archived