Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Popular songs featuring piano

LiveMusic

Heard Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Trouble Water" recently. Nice. Mostly a piano, some strings. But piano is the obvious focus. I think I can play that without an inordinate amount of practice. Do any other pop/rock/country songs come to mind that are killer on piano but you don't have to be a virtuoso to play? Might seem pretty vague as I'm sure there are tons, just wondering if you have any personal faves. Fast, slow, whatever.

Beatles' "Let It Be" and "The Long and Winding Road" come to mind as songs that would be good piano songs and not too hard.

In country, Floyd Cramer's "Last Date" is nice. I think that title is right. Only problem with that one is that little trademark roll thing he does or whatever you call it.

Put it this way, if you were to name a Jerry Lee Lewis rocker, that's nice but that's too hard with the left hand lick for me, being new to piano. That might take an extra day or so. ;)

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey, that's cool I just put that on the turntable (oh yes vinyl... I think it's even mono).

Tori Amos comes to mind when you mention piano songs, but I'm not to sure about how easy her songs are. maybe you could try Imagine by john lennon it's pretty easy.

lotsa beatles songs aren't that bad, no speeding Jerry lewics stuff.

Billy Joel:

Say Goodbye to Hollywood

I've Loved These Days

Just The Way You Are (but it might make you barf.)

Elton John

Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

Enya

Shepherd Moons

That oughtta get you started...

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Tori Amos comes to mind when you mention piano songs, but I'm not to sure about how easy her songs are.
They are not in any way whatsoever easy to play. Unless you have mad skills, be afraid, be very afraid. She's a child prodigy for a reason (not to mention my biggest inspiration). What about "Imagine"...it's not only pretty and poignant, but pretty easy to learn. I am not the best player by far, but I've played it. Some Billy Joel songs aren't too tough...my piano teacher used to have me play the "Goodnight Saigon" (?) one. Bruce Horsby "the Way it is" - I used to be able to play that too. Damn, I wish I still took lessons...

Try "Desperado" by the Eagles. Not too hard but has some nice changes. Floyd's "Last Date" makes use of what I call "Glises" Accent notes, on both left and right hand parts, the notes are not that hard, but to play correctly, is really difficult. Its a good standard that allows for fun vamping on the bridge. IMHO, :cool: nitecrawler
"Time to head down that old Colorado highway pardner."

I'll give you a head start on Bonnie Raitt's "I can't make you love me". I'm sure someone will correct me if my rendition is wrong.

It's in Bb and it has lots of add 9/2 and m7 chords played in a soulfull country gospel style. By country style - I mean when you play the Eb2 or add9 (which ever you call it) you play the Eb in a root position and sort of flam on/off the F (2nd) with your RH index finger. You do the same thing with the Dm7 on the 7th. This is a text book country lick. The opening chord progression is:

Eb2 Dm7 F2 Dm7 Gm7 Eb

Turn out the lights turn down the bed

Eb2 Gm7 Dm7/G Cm7

turn down these voices inside my head

The solo is mostly over a Cm scale - but I have never transcribed it.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Oops - looks like my spacing of the chord symbols with the lyrics didn't work. Well you can figure it out.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Originally posted by nitecrawler47:

... Floyd's "Last Date" makes use of what I call "Glises" Accent notes, on both left and right hand parts, the notes are not that hard, but to play correctly, is really difficult. Its a good standard that allows for fun vamping on the bridge. IMHO, :cool: nitecrawler

I have a buddy that can play this lick and he is killer. Every time I hear a pop/rock guy play this song (except him) NOBODY does it right. They just play the song straight out. Makes me CRINGE. Oh man, gotta play that lick.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Any list of piano songs has to include some Michael MacDonald. Take your pick.

Minute by Minute

China Grove

Takin it to the streets

etc.

Originally posted by SFOracle:

Any list of piano songs has to include some Michael MacDonald. Take your pick.

Minute by Minute

China Grove

Takin it to the streets

etc.

Wait a minute...not to question your authority, Oracle. You are, after all, the Bay area guy. But McDonald wasn't in the Doobies early enoug to be on China Grove, was he? Unless you're talking about a live version? OR did he do the oart as asession guy. That's from The Captain and Me, I believe. Pretty good album. Didn't the Hell's Angels hate McDonald when he joined? Finding him to be something of a wimp.

Maybe I'll just check Allmusic...

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Oops - brain fart Magpel, you are right.

China grove was definitely pre MM. I still like the rockin piano though.

Archived