Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bruce Hornsby and Elton John

Fellas,

I am piecing together a collection of fantastic rock piano tapes and CD's. I have purchased a few of classic Billy Joel's, Jerry Lee Lewis's greatest hits live, and several Bruce Springsteen tapes (love Roy Bittan's playing)....got my eyes on Little Richard and Fats Dominoe too.

Question: If I wanted to get A Bruce Hornsby or and Elton CD, which would be THE ones to buy? Any other suggestions for the collection beyond the four mentioned?

Thanks,

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Blues Disciple:

Fellas,

I am piecing together a collection of fantastic rock piano tapes and CD's. I have purchased a few of classic Billy Joel's, Jerry Lee Lewis's greatest hits live, and several Bruce Springsteen tapes (love Roy Bittan's playing)....got my eyes on Little Richard and Fats Dominoe too.

Question: If I wanted to get A Bruce Hornsby or and Elton CD, which would be THE ones to buy? Any other suggestions for the collection beyond the four mentioned?

Thanks,

BD

Easy...early Elton, early Bruce. Elton's black album simply entitled Elton John is timeless and one of my personal desert island CDs (yes, that's the one with "Your Song" on it - not my favorite cut on the album)...all his early albums are classics. If you've never heard it, the live version of "Burn Down the Mission" is an amazing piano moment, too...

Same with Bruce - although I have many of his CDs, I'm partial to his first (the one with "The Way It Is") the most. IMHO, it's the most accessible - his later albums are more jazz flavored but also very cool. Just depends on what you feel like.

I guess you could say I'm a fella too then...

lz

www.lauriez.com

(btw, you might also want to get some Leon Russell in your collection...)

Actually, if you want to hear some fantastic live improv, and a kick-ass band, the live double by Hornsby is outstanding. I recently saw a show, and boy, was it both fun and musical. Great balance in the band.

Harbor Lights is another outstanding CD.

Originally posted by Bubbajazz:

Actually, if you want to hear some fantastic live improv, and a kick-ass band, the live double by Hornsby is outstanding. I recently saw a show, and boy, was it both fun and musical. Great balance in the band.

Harbor Lights is another outstanding CD.

I agree. The live album, "Here Come the Noisemakers," has a great mix of material, shows off Bruce's improvs, and has an energy which comes from being recorded live -- a vibe that is such a powerful part of Bruce's music.

Jim

Archived