Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

On Topic: I filter SSS threads by thread starter and respondees...

So like, if Phil starts a thread, [b]I'm biased like that[/b]. I'll check it out. There's so much stuff going on here, I go away for a weekend an on return there's two pages of stuff. Don't want to miss anything, but can't read everything. Last night I noticed the Poelo was on Tinder Arts' "JAZZ" thread. It HAS to be controversial right?? You bet. I only went to the last page... If I see a thread with Pee Tee responding, I can generally expect some snide or condescending remark. What I'd like to do, is PAY someone to read through all of SSS threads, and sort them in some fashion. How do you sort through this stuff? I've gotten swamped.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the thread title sounds like it's regarding a question I might be able to help with, I'll check it out. If the thread topic looks funny and it's from one of the people I normally enjoy reading, I'll try to get to it. If it's specifically addressed to me, or mentions me, I'll definitely read it if I see it. If it's regarding a topic I'm interested in, or searching for info on, I'll definitely read it. If I've ignored a thread because it DIDN'T look interesting or sounded like it was going to be a trollfest or incessant argument mosh pit, I'll avoid it - although I may scan it later if it seeems to be getting a LOT of responses... just to see what all the fuss was about. If it's a post from one of the few dozen people I REALLY respect / admire, I'll usually try to read it. I know how you feel Drew. It does get a little overwhelming with all the forums sometimes. Just be selective and try to hold back when you KNOW there's no / very little redeeming value to a thread, and try not to get into the huge debates unless it's a topic very near and dear to you. And recognise when it's a lost cause and know when to disengage from a fruitless battle.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Phil. For a while, I considered disengaging completely from this forum, because it's become so difficult to wade through the mass of threads I have little or no interest in. Lately I've been more open to threads, but I've been avoiding the political threads entirely for the past two weeks. Ironically, the guitar forum has become almost silent. The threads are more on topic, but there are few new ones, and fewer I'm interested in. Still, every once in a while there is something good there. (Sucks logging on via dial-up connection! ;) )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]If the thread title sounds like it's regarding a question I might be able to help with, I'll check it out. If the thread topic looks funny and it's from one of the people I normally enjoy reading, I'll try to get to it. If it's specifically addressed to me, or mentions me, I'll definitely read it if I see it. If it's regarding a topic I'm interested in, or searching for info on, I'll definitely read it. If I've ignored a thread because it DIDN'T look interesting or sounded like it was going to be a trollfest or incessant argument mosh pit, I'll avoid it - although I may scan it later if it seeems to be getting a LOT of responses... just to see what all the fuss was about. If it's a post from one of the few dozen people I REALLY respect / admire, I'll usually try to read it. I know how you feel Drew. It does get a little overwhelming with all the forums sometimes. Just be selective and try to hold back when you KNOW there's no / very little redeeming value to a thread, and try not to get into the huge debates unless it's a topic very near and dear to you. And recognise when it's a lost cause and know when to disengage from a fruitless battle.[/b][/quote]Are we related?

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

[quote]Originally posted by alphajerk: [b]too bad there isnt an ignore member option to cut down on thread lengths... [/b][/quote]I can't tell whether you're joking or not, but this function DOES exist. To put me on your "ignore list" simply click on my "profile" icon, then click on "add to your ignore list" and you'll never have to see my posts again. At least, I [i]think[/i] that's how it works. I've never blocked anyone here before, so I can't say for sure.

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]To put me on your "ignore list" simply click on my "profile" icon, then click on "add to your ignore list" and you'll never have to see my posts again. At least, I [i]think[/i] that's how it works. I've never blocked anyone here before, so I can't say for sure.[/b][/quote]I just tried blocking some folks and hit the refresh button... Nope, the posts are still there. Perhaps the "ignore list" has to do with private messages? If it worked the way you described it, maaaaaaan -- I would start [i]really[/i] digging this forum again :eek:

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]Hmmmm... Well, maybe it only blocks posts made by those people AFTER it is put into effect. I dunno. That would be impossible to check, too, wouldn't it? I mean, how would you know if they're blocked if you can't see their posts? :confused: [/b][/quote]Well, don't take offense to this :D but I blocked you (as a test example, not 'cuz I have anything against ya) and I still saw what you just wrote. So I dunno what the ignore list thing is for.

Right now, the first page has about as many threads complaining about OT threads as OT threads. This issue comes up constantly since I've been here, and I'm sure It was like this long before I stumbled in. I can see how it would be great if every thread was specifically about music tech, but who talks about nothing but music 24/7? Bo-ring. Can't we all just get along? I haven't been here for that long, so I don't really know what things were like here before. Was it always 100% On Topic? Always about music technology? Were Phil Collins Dis threads allowed back then? Did people complain if someone had a music-related joke? What about a non-music related one? I've read many threads with good advice from the people that are complaining here and in other complaining threads (complaining is okay, don't take that the wrong way). This place definitely wouldn't be the same without fantasticsound & Valky & NYC & definitely Phil. [b]I personally am not an expert at anything. Should I never post?[/b] I don't know much about word clocks, so I won't post in threads asking about that. I don't go to tech shows, so I won't comment there. I only know my own system (mac/Cubase), and I'm still learning. If someone had a mac/Cubase question, there's probably someone else smarter than me that should answer it. Anything else is Off-Topic, so I should just read and not type, right?

The sad thing is that OT threads go OT inside of themselves. The "Jazz" thread simply asked, if not Jazz what do we call it? Out of nearly 170 replies, I only see three that offer an answer. Valky's response was the most intelligent.

[quote]Originally posted by d: [b]& even an On Topic thread can be highjacked, so the original subject or poster is sometimes not a clue as to content.[/b][/quote]Yeah, but if you see a thread going three or four pages long in a day or so, those are probably not well thought out responses. and Brakka, most of us are only expert of our OWN LIVES. I can't claim *real* expertise at any single thing either...as some (and you) have pointed out, the real nuggets of info, life slices and (good) humor often gets buried in a whole lot of ...other...stuff. For me, there is no real "off topic" but if you all (SSS collectively) were the friends I hung out with, I'd have to check, and re-check myself, cuz the slapstick-to-reality ratio is definately whack. Just my observations, it ain't about right or wrong...

[quote][i]Originally posted by Brakka:[/i] Right now, the first page has about as many threads complaining about OT threads as OT threads. This issue comes up constantly since I've been here, and I'm sure It was like this long before I stumbled in.[/quote][b]Brakka[/b], if you research old topics, I believe that you'll discover that the tragic events of September 11th were the turning point. At first, it was a good thing to talk about more than music. Like coworkers who become friends, we got to know each other a lot better on a personal level. We helped each other heal, and we accounted for missing members. Little did we know that we had opened Pandora's box. Now, we are like coworkers who almost never work. We fritter away the day talking and arguing about whatever comes into our heads; and occasionally, we remember that we came here to share our thoughts and ideas about [i]music[/i]. I think that most of us, who were a part of the pre-9/11 SSS, miss the balance of music first, OT second that we used to have. I've seen many new members express a desire for that balance as well. Unfortunately, a lot of those who wish for this make an effort for a few days and then leave, returning only to find that the balance has settled back into a predominance of silly chit-chat and arguing. I wonder if they realize that this happened, in part, because they left... Personally, I'd leave too if I found anyplace else that fulfilled the promise of "Craig Anderton's Sound, Studio, and Stage." I really like [b]The Keyboard Corner[/b] for example. In fact, I probably spend most of my posting time there. However, it's necessarily limited in scope. As I've stated in other threads, SSS is the only place that is designed to cater to the entire music-making community. IMO, we're missing a real opportunity here if we fail to discuss making music. Best, Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

[quote]Originally posted by alphajerk: [b]no, it USED to be about 80% music/20% OT... now its flipped the other way.[/b][/quote]Here, that's true. It's really up to the moderator. dB made it well known that his forum should be on topic (keys & sports) and it has largely remained so. On the other hand, if I recall correctly, Craig has no problem with this forum being more open to OT topics. Sort of like a neighborhood bar if you will. If it gets out of hand (as many may think it has) Craig has the ultimate say. I had a topic a while back suggesting that we have a seperate forum for such OT exchanges. Maybe we should revisit that idea.

Someone previously mentioned, I think it was Neil, that the guitar forum has dried up quite a bit, because it is so "on-topic". I don't find it hard at all to sort like: "Sonar" Hmmm, I don't use Sonar, so I probably won't check that one. "Which mic is better" Well, I am always shopping for mics, so I'll browse that one. "SHUT UP, PSYCHOPATHS..." Uh oh, Wewus on the rampage again...time for my daily laff. "George Bush is a dork" ...political thread, I'll leave that to the ones who like to argue. And I do read those started by people I respect, or even responded to by people I respect, unless they're dealing with an operating platform I don't use and haven't considered using.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by soapbox: [b][i]"Maybe we should revisit that idea."[/i] [b]TinderArts[/b], is this what you had in mind? [url=http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008736]Sound, Studio, and Stage or "Open Mic"?[/url] [/b][/quote]I was mistaken, I thought I had started a topic about my earlier post, it was just a response. Here it is for those who might have interest. http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008325#000025

Archived