Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CDR/RW question

Goldberg

I'm looking for a very quick, inexpensive ways to make CD's, and just need a workable temporary solution for now, not like the top of the line burners that cost $400 or something. So I'm running Cakewalk Home Studio 8 on a computer, and that's all my sequencing and mixing and all that recording stuff. Most of my songs are a full 16-track for my JV1080. I've been in Best Buy and have found the sort of external drives they have there that you can generally find for $100-$120, which would be a great price. But I absolutely know nothing about CD burners and I'm just curious if these sort of burners would work fine just for now, or if for a digital, MIDI based studio, you'd need one of the more expensive ones.
"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rabid:

For the most part, the burner has nothing to do with the final quality of sound, only the speed in which you can make disks. Just make sure you use CD/R disks and not CD/RW.

Robert

Good point about CDRW- they seem to predominate in the stores near me, and they SUCK. Can't burn test audio CDs because many stereos won't play them, in my experience they aren't durable as far as remaining readable over long periods of time :mad: , and CDRs are really cheap so there isn't much point anyway.

-CB

And- don't just buy the cheapest no-name CDRs either, try out different brands and see what works for you. The cheapos seem just fine at first but they often enough are unreadable after extended periods, as I've found out the hard way. Roger Nichols explained exactly why when I asked some time ago on his forum, can't remember the details, but suffice it to say that CDRs are NOT all exactly the same, so shop around and test.

Thanks for the information. I just need to know now if I could possibly have any problems burning all the stuff on there from cakewalk-you know, make sure that the 1080 sounds are all on there and it sounds just like it does if you were to play it back from the sequencer. Later on I'll obviously buy one of the better, more reliable ones, but I sort of need this burner very quick, and it should just suffice for maybe three months.
"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

Originally posted by Striker1080:

Thanks for the information. I just need to know now if I could possibly have any problems burning all the stuff on there from cakewalk-you know, make sure that the 1080 sounds are all on there and it sounds just like it does if you were to play it back from the sequencer. Later on I'll obviously buy one of the better, more reliable ones, but I sort of need this burner very quick, and it should just suffice for maybe three months.

Burner's are pretty much a commodity item nowadays and very reliable. Why anyone would spend $800 on one I really don't know. You can get a whole computer for that (though probably not with adqeuate sound IO)

I paid $80 for the most recent one I got and its 16 speed write and works fine. I am using Nero (Rom Burner) software which works fine. If you were doing duplication on it it might not stand up to it but for occasional CD's and backups its perfectly adequate.

Archived