Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The GRAMMY 's anyone watch

Dan O

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fliped around and saw some parts of it. Alicia Keys, the slutty Moulin Rouge Girls, Train...nothing great, nothing too terrible. John Stewart wasn't very funny - he's great on the Daily Show, but his kind of humor wasn't really flying with the crowd. I guess U2 not sweeping was a pretty big suprise. To me, the Grammy's always seem pretty run of the mill, with the occasional happy suprise win. Did anyone in this forum go, or vote?

C'mon now....what the heck do the Grammy people know about music...it's a bunch of mainstream bullcrap...mindless nonsense not worth spending 2 seconds with and to give it any creditability is displaying a lack of intelligence and integrity which IMHO succumbs to pretense, excessiveness and plain ole stupidity....really now....to borrow a cliche...give me a break...

The last time I made a point of watching the Grammys was in '85 or '86 when Graceland and So, two albums I liked, were nominated for all the biggies, and Graceland swept up.

It just doesn't mean anything to me, which is not to see it rewards bad music, or whatever. It's a terrible venue for live music, on par with the Super Bowl. The acceptance speeches are rehashed tripe. Yumm, there's a deliciously mixed culinary metaphor.

I wouldn't begrudge it to anyone who enjoys it. If you've got a favorite in contention, I suppose that spices it up. None of my favorites are, and maybe that's because I don't really play favorites anymore. I used to root for bands like I would a sports team. Now I just sort of let the cauldron of contemporary music pour over, taking notice when something really moves me.

I prefer the Espys. I prefer local school board meetings for that matter. More at stake, and more genuine personality at play.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by MindDrive:

C'mon now....what the heck do the Grammy people know about music...it's a bunch of mainstream bullcrap...mindless nonsense not worth spending 2 seconds with and to give it any creditability is displaying a lack of intelligence and integrity which IMHO succumbs to pretense, excessiveness and plain ole stupidity....really now....to borrow a cliche...give me a break...

It doesn't have to be that way. Anyone can join if you've got 5 released credits in any genre. Make a change, join, and vote next year.

Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Where was Jazz this year???? Wasn't it always part of the ceremony in the past?

As far as I can remember they've always shown the jazz, gospel, spoken work and kids music as a real quick slam, bam kinda jam. It goes by so quick if you aren't looking you'll miss it.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Guys, I've got news for you. The Grammys are and always have been a marketing tool, as are the Oscars and Tonys. There's nothing objective about it. It's all about selling more of already successful products (the nomination process serves to spread the wealth around a little). The lifetime achievement awards are about as pure as it gets. As far as jazz, well, there's only so much time in the broadcast and the jazz market's pretty darn small.

Originally posted by RobT:

As far as I can remember they've always shown the jazz, gospel, spoken work and kids music as a real quick slam, bam kinda jam. It goes by so quick if you aren't looking you'll miss it.

RobT

Well, they never got much time but man there were some really great performances. Was it last year that they had the young kids out there ripping it up or the year before? I was blown away by that performance.

Thanks to my wife (she loves these awards shows) I had to suffer through the whole show last night...I didn't miss it...it wasn't there, no Jazz, bummer.

A sad statistic:

3 1/2 hours long...101 total awards...12 were televised. Does that tell you anything about the substance of the Grammys?

Whatever. It was so lame it couldn't hold my attention for more than a few minutes at a time, and Jon Stewart (who can be one of the most hilarious people in the world) blew.

Exactly what I was expecting. Maybe they'll have a better show in a year where there's some better music.

Grrrr.

- Jeff

Postman wrote:
Guys, I've got news for you. The Grammys are and always have been a marketing tool, as are the Oscars and Tonys. There's nothing objective about it. It's all about selling more of already successful products (the nomination process serves to spread the wealth around a little). The lifetime achievement awards are about as pure as it gets. As far as jazz, well, there's only so much time in the broadcast and the jazz market's pretty darn small.
I'd say you pretty much nailed it.

Maybe they'll have a better show in a year where there's some better music.
How true although I'm sure plenty folks loved it. Boy do I feel out of it these days. Haven't heard anything that really moves me in a while. :(

I should mention in my case, no doubt, Father Time has got a lot to do with it. :)

Did anyone see the guy who gave the speech about downloading music?He almost had me for a while till i thought about how cutt throat the music business is.They are the real thiefs!

"Great talents ripen late"

"The highest notes are hard to hear"

Lao Tzu

Originally posted by keygod:

Did anyone see the guy who gave the speech about downloading music?

"The guy" is Michael Greene, who's been the head of NARAS (the organization that gives out the awards) for years. He's recently been the subject of a big sexual harrassment suit, and runs NARAS like he's a mafia kingpin. I have no sympathy when most artists I've met are much less concerned with teenage kids screwing them lightly by downloading tunes than the labels screwing them royally every chance they get.

Again...whatevers! Glad I'm not in it for the money anymore. ;)

- Jeff

Archived