Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any solo/duo giggers here?

LiveMusic

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I play as a duo some. We alternate on keyboard, I also play acoustic guitar, and she sings. We use a Rhodes MK80 for a controller with a Kurzweil Micropiano for the sounds. We definitely don't sequence, we did enough of that in the 80's to make me sick to death of it. My wife's a great singer so we pick our songs based on what she'll sound good singing. We end up doing a mix of country, rock and jazz. Basically, if we like the song we'll do it. We don't worry about sticking too close to the original. As far as money goes we'll make anywhere from $100 to $300 but there aren't that many gigs here in central KY and we don't pursue it that much given that we both have full time jobs and teach lessons and record in our "spare" time.

-David

Originally posted by DSears:

We use a Rhodes MK80 for a controller with a Kurzweil Micropiano for the sounds.

I used to own an MK80 for awhile. Nice keyboard. It's one of my "wish I hadn't sold it" keyboards. But, it's a little heavy for hauling around to gigs, isn't it? You might want to check out a Yamaha P120, much lighter (only 42 lbs), and it's got a similar sound set to the Micropiano. Better, IMHO.

I play Fridays at a Restuarant, solo piano, no singing - lucky for me! Restuarant provides the Grand Piano - Slightly out of tune! Play in an outside pavilion. Mosquitoes squashed on the music can be confused with the notes of the music. Styles - all the jazz standards.

Archived