Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heard of David Sudnow method of learning piano?

LiveMusic

I bought his course almost a year ago, spent a weekend going through the CD seminar and book, stuck with it for a few practice sessions and then guitar practice overtook it. I recently revisited it and admit that it makes more sense now with my last year's advance in my overall musicianship. But I'm curious if anyone has ever heard and thing about this method. He basically says that piano instruction, as it has been done in the past is garbage. That it does NOT teach people how to improvise any song at will... which is about anyone's "dream" of being able to play piano. That learning to read scores is fine but it's not what people really want to do. They want to be able to sit down and play a song because they have the melody in their head.

His method is very radical, immersing the student from the getgo in learning to play "standards" with complex chord structures. "Misty," "Ain't Misbehavin," etc. I mean from the beginning. And after you learn two songs, then three, then four and then eventually a couple of dozen or so, by then, you will be able to pick out songs on your own with very complex chord structures. The basic theory is that your fingers, mind and body "learn" to "know where to go."

This guy is obviously an Einstein. He talks so fast, it's hard for this southern boy to keep up. But I admit he makes a lot of sense.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You wouldn't happen to know the exact name of the course/book. I've done a search on www.amazon.com and www.google.com by the author but I get several titles by that name back.

I am also a no-piano player (bassist) who would like to pick up some more piano playing knowledge. I'd like to also recommend the Jazz Theory book by Mark Levine. It has really opened up a lot about chord/music theory for me. Now I'd like some more piano playing stuff.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by RobT:

You wouldn't happen to know the exact name of the course/book...

I think it's sold at

The Sudnow Method site . Get ready to pracice. If you don't practice, it's worthless. He says a year or two or more before you have a decent reportoire. Of course, the songs you do know, they will be kickass.

This guy's method is radical. Makes sense to me, though. I think he's right... 99% of everybody who ever takes piano lessons, a few weeks or months later, they don't know squat. Might remember how to play the piece they played a thousand times but that's it... they don't know how to play new pieces instinctively.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Archived