Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Needing some professional opinions

Stasis

Okay, I'm looking to buy my first keyboard and don't know too much about them ... I need to stay right around $300. So far, I'm looking at the Roland EM-15 and the Yamaha PSRGX76. Both seem nice, but I don't know much about the nuances of what to look for. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated and given much consideration in the actual purchase. Please give me your thoughts and experiences with two manufacturers. Also, if you know of something else in the price range, I'm all ears. Thank you all in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rabid:

Both Yamaha and Roland are very good manufacturers. Make sure you choose a modle that has full size keys that are velocity sensitive.

Robert

I have an EM-10 which I basically throw in the car when going to parties and don't want to carry some portion of my rig. Its a fun little board but the keys are fractionaly short. You tend to run out of room when playing in remote keys, and the action gets a bit slow too.

The advantage of machines like this is they have metronomes and drum kits on them which are valuable for practicing. The disadvantage is the keys are unweighted so you don't build up your hands and forearms. I really think if you get seriously into keyboard playing you should get a weighted keyboard, but I expect organ players would disagree.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm always open to things I should look for when shopping. It's always better to hear the pros and cons from people that aren't trying to make a buck off me :) Anyway ... Thanks ... Anything else I should know?

last year when i worked in retail (everyone goes, "oh no! not the retail stories!!!"), we started selling the yammy GX76. although they are just a portable, i thought the touch and the sound wasn't too bad at all for the price. if you're just after something like that, i'd recommend the yammy. if you can afford a 2nd hand synth like a roland xp seies (not xp-10 unless you don't wanna sequence), go one of them.

pray for peace,

kendall

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

Archived