Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why my keyboard started dirtonting...?

Dr Teeth

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LatinMusic:

Could some one tell me why after 2 years of carefully use my 01/W fd star distorting in the headphones out? how could I solve it?

You may have blown your headphones. If you are like me your headphones take all sorts of abuse and sometimes they just die.

Have you tried the phones with something else?

Do you get the same distortion out of the main outputs driving an amp?

well my headphones are in optimun condition, i use they on my CD player also without any problem. No my board is not distorting on the main aouputs,,, how do i soolve3 this?

First, try a different set of headphones, headphones impedance can vary from 8 to 160 ohms. 8 ohmers will give the loudest sound and some thumping bass. 160 ohms will not play very loud but will sometimes give the clearest sound. I have some 32 ohm Sonys and some 8 ohm Pioneers, I love the sound of the Pioneers but after about an hour or so, the bass goes away and is replaced by "beugg" instead of boom. So there is a small chance your headphones are over-driving your headamp. If thats not the case, try driving your power amp from the headphone out. Still getting the distortion? If so try adding a ground to see if maybe there is just a bad jack.

I go with the wrong headphones or bad jack over anything. Internal headamp, very seldom go bad, they have a lot of power and very little work to do with this power, so typically,they last forever. Casey

Using the headphone out to drive your power amp. The impedance mismatch will not hurt for this short test. Start with amp volume high and headphone volume at minimum. Slowly crank it up and see if you get the same distortion.

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by kcbass:

Start with amp volume high and headphone volume at minimum. Slowly crank it up and see if you get the same distortion.

Bad idea! Any dirt in the headphone pot could cause the noise to hit the amp at max! :o

Originally posted by TinderArts:

Start with amp volume high and headphone volume at minimum. Slowly crank it up and see if you get the same distortion.

Bad idea! Any dirt in the headphone pot could cause the noise to hit the amp at max! :o
Well, there is that, but it ought to be a given that you always start everything at zero! So, we should add "Check for pot noise in the headphones first".

The poiint of starting with the phones low is that you do not want to obfuscate the results by overloading the front end of the amp.

I wonder what happened on this - looks like we have not heard back for a while. Latin?

Originally posted by TinderArts:

The headphone pot should be the same one that controls the overall output of the keyboard. The reason for having the amp volume high was so that you can get reasonable good volume out before the headphone amps naturally distort. To see what I`m talking about, turn the amp volume to minimum and the keyboard volume to max. You should get distortion out of the amp a very low amp levels. This is because you are amplifying the distortion thats coming from the keyboard, or should I rather say clipping. Doing this the way I stated you should get rock concert levels before the keyboards headphone amps clip. And so what if dirt causes the amp to take a little hit. All the systems that I repair are over engineered to the point that a little hard hit once in a while should have no detrimental effect what-so-ever. Repeated high volume clipping distortion can be bad news for tweeters in your amp. but like I said, One accidental hit or two should not hurt. Casey

"Let It Be!"

I started getting distrortion from my CD player too. So I supossed the problem are the head phones. WHY? I have had them just for about two months. Pioneer brand... Did I do something wwong? What could hurt them?
Rebuilding My Self

I started getting distrortion from my CD player too. So I supossed the problem are the head phones. WHY? I have had them just for about two months. Pioneer brand... Did I do something wwong? What could hurt them?

See if you can get the covers off to find some kind of foreign object inside the phones, possibly hair. Casey

"Let It Be!"

Driving them too hard, especially while not wearing them. Dropping them. Walking away with them still on. All common occurences. The amazing thing is how well most headphones stand up to these abuses.

There is another possibility. To put it as pleasantly as I can manage. Have you checked your ears for any build up of foreign material? Don't be offended - there's a reason I know this can cause a problem :(

Archived