Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Real or Sampled?

Steve LeBlanc

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What criteria do we use? Just sound quality?
heh, what other criteria matters? I guess you could use Keyboard FEEL too, something that is VERY important to me but I wouldn't be happy with a Real Rhodes (midi'd) that was triggering a sampled patch either.

Not meaning to be archaic or snotty here...I don't own a B3 so I have to rely on samples but I would prefer the real thing.

I find it interesting that some people actually prefer the sound of the emulators...I'm really curious how many here do.

Just a thought... a few decades ago, could it have been 'real' pipe organs and pianos versus the convenient new electrical machines?
Yeah...and if I had to vote between Rhodes and Acoustic Piano, I'd definitly pick Acoustic Piano. However, I'd also pick a Rhodes over an out-of-tune Spinet.

ALSO (hehe)...right now with effects and a Tube amp I'm having way more fun than I could with an Acoustic Piano...BUT...now that I've played the Rhodes to death, I'm ready to go back to Piano OR (God help me) a SYNTH.

:rolleyes:

I owned a Fender Rhodes and I sold it.

I bought one around 1975 and had it until about 1983. I had some mods done on it so that the action and timbre were killer. Even so, it was a lot of instrument for a one trick pony. Not only was it heavy to take to rehearsals and gigs, but I often broke its tines and would have to take the expense and time of replacing and tuning their replacements. (YMMV, I may have had that problem more than most folks, because at that time, I was so heavy handed that I would occasionally break piano strings every month or so as well!)

When Oberheim released the OB-8, I took once last wistful look at my Rhodes; and then I gladly parted with it to help finance my dream synth. Even though I loved the sound of my Rhodes, it had fallen out of favor in the age of Prince and Duran, Duran. I rejoiced at buying a keyboard that was relatively light, that could play a wide variety of rich sounds, and that could tune itself with the touch of a button!

Sometimes I long to have my Rhodes back. For that matter, sometimes I long to have my OB-8 back as well (I sold it back in 1990, a year or two before analog synths returned to popularity). However, I'd just as soon go to a studio or a rental company for the rare times I need that authentic Rhodes color in my palette. Let them experience the joys of storing and maintaining one!

My two copper Lincolns,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

One more thing... ;)

I'm going slightly off topic here, but it seems to me that most people prefer something that sounds nearly as good as the original as long as it's much more flexible and easier to maintain. After all, look at all of the ProTools rigs that have replaced analog multitracks.

IMHO, it's the same case here. Most of us could have purchased a B-3 or a Rhodes instead of a K2600 or Motif 8; but few of us seem to have made those choices, poll results notwithstanding.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

What criteria do we use? Just sound quality?
heh, what other criteria matters? I guess you could use Keyboard FEEL too, something that is VERY important to me but I wouldn't be happy with a Real Rhodes (midi'd) that was triggering a sampled patch either.

Not meaning to be archaic or snotty here...I don't own a B3 so I have to rely on samples but I would prefer the real thing.

I find it interesting that some people actually prefer the sound of the emulators...I'm really curious how many here do.

Plus what's a "real" B3. You have to work to get a real B3 sounding good and to keep it that way. An emulator is going to be more consistent. I certainly prefer the sound of my emulator over a poorly set up Hammind.

Archived