Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Work-related question for Tascam Jeff

Magpel

Jeff, sorry to hit you with this question while you're still basking in the glow of your award. But here goes: Is Tascam phasing out the upgrade path from Gigasampler LE to GStudio 96 and 160. Over the Summer, I think, I recall passing on several uprgrade specials. Now I want to do but the former Nemesys site says it's $299 to go from LE to 96. Yikes! Did I miss my chance at a cheap upgrade? I also checked at SoundChaser, and they don't even list this particular upgrade anymore. Can I pester you for inside scoop? Will more upgrade specials be rolling around or is this the best I'm going to do?

John

PS: to hearken back to an old thread, I love the presence of the MI pros here for this very reason.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff,

Hey, just curious, what's the meaning of life?

Plus, any updates to the DA-P1 on the horizon?

Also, what should I eat for breakfast tommorrow morning?

Thanks and congrats on your award. (Apologies if the meaning of life question is more appropriately adressed to tech help).

-Peace, Love, and BrittanyLips

Jeez...I'm gonna have to start writing an advice column. Let's see, now...

Magpel: We'd been running a half-price upgrade special until the end of last year...then it was over. Do not despair, though: I'm about to start an upgrade price from GigaSampler LE to the new GigaStudio 32 for $39.99. Maybe that will help.

Dano: The new software for the 788 (yes, it can be installed on an EPROM chip) won't be available until the end of March or so. It's version 2.0, and gives you wav file export, import of premaster projects and increases the partioning to allow access to up to 64GB drives.

brittneylips: When in the first rendition Buddha says, "Due to the existence of this, that arises," he indicates that the phenomena of cyclic existence arise not through the force of supervision by a permanent deity but due to specific conditions. Merely due to the presence of certain causes and conditions, specific effects arise. This, in and of itself, is not the meaning of life, but could set you down a path of thought and discussion from which you can find peace and harmony within the life you choose to lead.

No DA-P1 updates coming that I know of. In fact, heh-heh, no new DAT machines coming.

Eat something light yet offering sustaining energy for breakfast tomorrow. I recommend cereal, with some fruit on the side. Of course, I myself will be having a grande latte and three cigarettes for breakfast.

Ok, any more questions? I have answers.

- Jeff

Gigastudio 32? Not if the 32 refers to the polyphony limit. I want more notes, you see, Because I *like* giga-notes. In my book, they are some of the best notes I have. The Korg notes are good, too, but the giga notes are becoming my bread and butter. Of course, if by circuitous wizardry, the upgrade from studio 32 to studio 96 is somehow less expensive than LE straight to 96, glory be. Thanks for the info, and the phenomenology.

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Jeez...I'm gonna have to start writing an advice column. Let's see, now...

Magpel: We'd been running a half-price upgrade special until the end of last year...then it was over. Do not despair, though: I'm about to start an upgrade price from GigaSampler LE to the new GigaStudio 32 for $39.99. Maybe that will help.

brittneylips: When in the first rendition Buddha says, "Due to the existence of this, that arises," he indicates that the phenomena of cyclic existence arise not through the force of supervision by a permanent deity but due to specific conditions. Merely due to the presence of certain causes and conditions, specific effects arise. This, in and of itself, is not the meaning of life, but could set you down a path of thought and discussion from which you can find peace and harmony within the life you choose to lead.

No DA-P1 updates coming that I know of. In fact, heh-heh, no new DAT machines coming.

Eat something light yet offering sustaining energy for breakfast tomorrow. I recommend cereal, with some fruit on the side. Of course, I myself will be having a grande latte and three cigarettes for breakfast.

Ok, any more questions? I have answers.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Magpel:

Gigastudio 32? Not if the 32 refers to the polyphony limit.

That's exactly what it refers to.

So, here are your options: all of the upgrades are priced exactly as if you were buying the two products individually. In other words, if GigaSampler LE is $99 and GigaStudio 96 is $399, then the difference of $299 is the upgrade price.

GigaStudio 32 is now going to be the lowest end of the entire Giga line, and we still wanted a solution that people could get into for less than $100, which is why it's priced the same as the old GigaSampler LE.

So, unless we're running an upgrade special -- and I have no plans to do so at this time or in the forseeable future -- that's the price. You may get better pricing through a dealer than going direct through us...remember, we can only charge full-price MSRP, while a dealer may come down a little from there. The only problem is finding dealers that offer upgrades, so if you need some help there, let me know.

- Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I checked Soundchaser, who always seemed to have good upgrade prices, but for some reason they don't list the LE to 96 path (anymore). I've emailed them, and they tend to be a very responsive and accomodating bunch.

In truth, LE is working great for me, but I *really* want capture, 24 bit, soundfont recognition, and choke groups for the damn hi-hats!

It's such a killer product, and despite my whining, extraordinarily reasonably priced for what it does. Anyone who says otherwise is stoopit. I just have an unexpected but small music budget and am trying to get as much out of it as possible...

John

No problem John.

BTW, Soundchaser definitely know their stuff about Giga, and were very helpful for us at the NAMM show. They provided the GigaDAW stations that were being used at our booth to demo all the sample libraries.

- Jeff

Archived