Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seeking Nord Lead 3 advice

I'm thinking about getting a Nord Lead 3, mainly because I love the user interface - those knob/led-circle combinations thingies are the coolest synthesizer design innovation since sliced bread, IMHO, and the NL3 makes good use of them in more ways than one (like they move when they're being modulated, for instance - right on!)

But I'm no expert on analog synths, although I've played a few over the years, I owned an MKS80 for a while, for instance, and I've played and owned a few VA's (like a have a MOSS board in my Triton, for instance, but don't think the UI is very good).

So analog experts, please tell me what you think of the NL3. If the Minimoog and the Prophet 5 are a '10' (or plug in the name of your favourite classic analog synth), where does the NL3 fit on a scale of 1 to 10? In terms of sound quality, I mean. For instance, I've heard the NL1 and NL2 described as being a bit thin and digital-sounding. Is the NL3 the same, or is it an improvement, in your opinion?

Yes, I have gone and listened for myself.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off, if you've listened to the NL3 and you like it, then that's great-buy it if it suits you. I personally don't own one and am also in the market for a virtual analogue synth. I considered buying one, but keep in mind that it doesn't have onboard effects (which turned me down for such a price!). I'm not sure if that's important to you, but if not then it's up to you. Oh yeah, and I've heard other gripes such as it's lack of vocoder, poor quality as far as physical build up and horrible customer support. I won't suggest the synth to you but I won't completely down it either. I'm personally interested in a second hand Supernova 2, which can be found at about the same price as the NL3 and has far better quality (so I hear). Also you may be interested in the Access Virus Kb-I don't know too much about it but I know some people who love it. Just some suggestions!
"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

Hi!

I've had my NL3 for about 5 months now and I just love it. I also do have both the original NL and NL2 in my synth rig. Comparing to thoes the NL3 is way more versatile and complex. I think one of the problems where that most of the factory presets kind of sucked since too many where showing off the FM-synthesis. That's why I think that some ppl don't like the NL3. You have to get used to the synth and turn those knobs and it will reward you in a fantastic way!

I thought I heard most of the stuff that it could make with the NL3 after having it for about 2 months....but I just find new amazing sounds the whole time.

The strange thing with the NL3 is that things sounds soooo good without built in effects.

Also have a Supernova but the NL3 is, IMO, much better when it comes to programming, versatility etc

-Robert

I'm going to try to keep this thread alive. Thanks for the responses I got so far.

Maybe I should have named the thread better. What I was hoping to get was some opinions on how close to a good analogue synth the NL3 sounds, on a scale of 1 to 10.

The thing is, I have limited amount of money to spend on synths in the next year or so. I'm torn between buying a Korg CX3, a NL3, a Voyager, an Electro, or some combination of those. I can't afford both a NL3 and a Voyager. Although I haven't seen a Voyager yet, I expect that it will win in terms of sound quality, on the other hand, the NL3 has that fabulous user interface.

Originally posted by GuestUser@GuestUser.com:

Do you have any analog synths? How do the Nord Lead 12&3 compare with them?

Yes. I have a Jupiter-6, Juno 106, Korg PS3200, Yamaha CS70m, SH-101, ProOne and a Multimoog.

I have been able to emulate some of them with my NL3 in a quite satisfactory way. It's not 100% but it's close enough. The NL1 is "colder" than the NL2. Sometimes I actually prefer that. It gets things to stick out in a mix. However the NL3 is much much better than the other two. It can do A LOT more.

-Robert

Originally posted by Robert U:

Yes. I have a Jupiter-6, Juno 106, Korg PS3200, Yamaha CS70m, SH-101, ProOne and a Multimoog.

Having used a lot of analog synths, what's your take on the NL3's user interface? I find it very attractive because it makes it clearer what's going on in any given patch. And each knob is instantly 'live'. But then, I need all the help I can get. Perhaps to someone with a great amount of experience, who is able to understand a patch more without looking at it, it's not such a big deal? I'd be interested in your viewpoint.

I find it very attractive because it makes it clearer what's going on in any given patch. And each knob is instantly 'live'.

It's like you're saying. The leds on each knob is very helpful . It makes it quite easy to see what is "wrong" in a sound. I also like the fact that you are getting a digital value in the main screen. Everything is kept on a very simple and intuitive level even though it's a quite

complex machine.

All in all it's the most userfriendly interface that I've seen on a VA synth. It got everything except motorized knobs :)

-Robert

• 2 years later...

I'm reviving this one after doing a couple of searches. Many of you know that I am "Mr. Fickle" about the VA synth in my rig. I've tried just about everything and I keep coming back to the Nord synths. I love the things! I had a Nord Lead 1 originally for a couple of years and just recently added a NL2x. I love the 2x, but was still ogling the NL3 before the 2x becomes too engrained in my rig.

I would love to hear from anyone who has faced the same quandary...would I get a lot more sound horsepower from the NL3? I really, really like the 2x, but keep tormenting myself to try the NL3.

Thanks,

Eric

... Although I haven't seen a Voyager yet, I expect that it will win in terms of sound quality, on the other hand, the NL3 has that fabulous user interface.

What are you valuing most, the sound of the synth or it's interface? I did the mistake of "falling in love" with the ultimate user interface, that of the Nord Modular. I had a Nord 2 and traded it for the Modular because the interface seduced me (oh, poor little lamb... :rolleyes: ). That was a big mistake. I should have realized on the Nord 2 already that the Vintage emulations (which are my foremost goal for wanting a VA) were actually poor, cold and uninspiring. Of course the interface of the Modular did not change it. Don't get me wrong, the Nords are wonderful synths on their own right and plenty of people swear by them. But they perform real badly when compared to (for example) the Alesis Ion on the emulation of the beasts you referred to in the first place (Moog and Prophet V).

To make it short, ponder thoroughly which sounds you want to coax out of this synth you are looking for. And forget about the interface, in the long run its appeal will wear off, exactly the opposite of the sound. And do play other synths (The Supernova, Ion, Andromeda, Noah, as many as you can get your hands on) with a critic ear for the sound. You will be glad you did.

My 2 cents.

P.S. = By the way, Clavia's tech support is really good IMHO. And the Nord Electro sure rocks!

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Archived