Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Melody Mileage

Bobro

Who's got the most most mileage from one melody? My vote goes to Nino Rota for the soundtrack to Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet. "what is a youth..."

Don't even try to sneak attack with Moses und Aaron or other serial stuff, you know what I mean.

-CB

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it depends what kinda mileage we are talking about.

Here are three candidates:

Ravel's Bolero - main themes repeated 18 times with no melodic variation.

Einstein on the Beach by Phillip Glass - Sure not a melody, but some a melodic motif - well actually any sizable minimalist tune. And in an ironic twist, if you say it's not a melody, you have actually increased the melodic mileage. ;)

And for sheer audacity....Mike Post's theme music for several TV shows in the 80s. (Magnum PI, A-Team, Hardcastle & McCormick, etc) They are all substantially the same melody. :eek::eek:

Jerry

I guess Bolero must be hard to beat!

Maybe Mike Post has that sign on his wall: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I like the Magnum theme, but haven't ever seen Hardcastle and McCormick. Hm, must have seen the A-Team at some point, though, otherwise I wouldn't have laughed so hard at that famous picture of Nancy Reagan sitting on Mr. T's lap.

Just say no!

-CB

Originally posted by Tusker:

And for sheer audacity....Mike Post's theme music for several TV shows in the 80s. (Magnum PI, A-Team, Hardcastle & McCormick, etc) They are all substantially the same melody. :eek::eek:

Jerry

How about the Law & Order theme, being used on three variations a week these days? What a schhweeet deal that must be!

On the rock front, Everclear has turned one melody into 5 or 6 bonafide hits, BUT the land speed record for self-imitation (or thrify use of limited resources) clearly belongs to Bad Religion. I don't know their music well at all, but one night a friend, wanting to demonstrate to me that all their records sound the same, played me five or six in a row. Simply unbelievable, uh, consistency. I'll even use a stronger an stranger word: all Bad Religion songs are fungible
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Of course, leave us not forget bands that felt it necessary to recyle chord progressions/licks that had made hits for them earlier, such as :

Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper/Burning for You

The Kinks - All Day and All of the Night/Paranoia

I'm sure there are more...hey, all of Britney's "songs" sound pretty much the same to me... :P:rolleyes:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

A lot of the electronics music nowadays. (Electronic music IS good, why do people have to make it so damn repetitive?)

Start Drum Loop (8 measures)

Simplify drum loop with only kick drum + another sound (4 measures)

Continue Drum Loop (8 measures)

Add a filter sweep (8 measures)

Remove filter sweep, continue with drum loop (8 measures)

Remove a few drum sounds from the drum loops (8 measures)

Add those sounds back in the drum loop (8 measures)

How about that for mileage? One drum loop and a filter sweep.

I wish I had specific examples, but I run away from this type of music unless I'm caught somewhere listening to it.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived