Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

no-brainer product development

Felix_dup1

Seems like there are some obvious products that should be brought to market. Specifically, I'm talking about products derived from existing technology that would need very little additional product development to bring them to market.

(Of course, if these products are truly no-brainers, they're probably already in the development pipeline)

Here are my ideas this morning:

Yamaha MOTIF Rack - sequence-playback only (like Triton Rack), but with all of the AIEB2 Digital I/O / Multi-Out Expansion board included.

Alesis SR-20 - New drum machine utilizing sounds from the DM-Pro.

Roland SH-3200 - keyboard version of the SH-32

More suggestions?

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: felix ]

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I second the motif rack. The only thing close to it recently was the cs6r. Maybe yamaha's just waiting... I would definitely put multiple out's so you can assign the PLG cards to their own outputs.

a 76 key WEIGHTED controller. I don't need the 88 keys, but I need a weighted controller. Maybe there's not market for it, given the limited market for the 76 key synths... but, I still think a lot people go with the 88 key controllers just because they want the weighted keys and not necessarily all the keys :)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

please excuse my ignorance, but are we talking along the lines of re-issues? btw i'm not old enough to remember past dx-7's or arp (2000???).

re-issue's:

1) NO MORE danelectro efx pedals or guitars

2) anything hammond

3) anything wurlitzer :D

4) anything rhodes

5) casio cz-series (another one i can't remember - maybe you should've just ignored this)

one problem - would they make all these re-issue's with "modern" technology? eg. replace valves/tubes/mechanical stuff with just 1's and 0's?? if so, it would be useless re-issuing them.

but - i would like to see yamaha put some sort of drawbar keyboard out. roland and korg do. the p200 has virtual drawbars but is still very very lacking (unfortunately) :(

pray for peace,

kendall

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

I like that one, Tusker! How about the V.A.S.T. Softsynth (also doubles as software editor for V.A.S.T.)!

What about an E-MU keyboard based on the Proteus 2500 (lots of knobs) and including the sequencer of the MP-7/XL-7?

Or how about a Korg EAK-1 - a 2 1/2 octave keyboard with built-in sequencing based on the Electribe EA-1 - with a street price of under $400...

I'll third the Motif rack. I'd even like to see an S-series rack. Doesn't Yamaha believe in modules anymore? :confused: I guess they'd rather sell keyboards.

Originally posted by Rod CA:

a 76 key WEIGHTED controller. I don't need the 88 keys, but I need a weighted controller...I still think a lot people go with the 88 key controllers just because they want the weighted keys and not necessarily all the keys :)

Or because they need to reach the low A or high C. I know Dave has disagreed with me on this, but I still think a 76 could better stand in for an 88 if it had an A to C keyboard. An octave switch would give it the full range of the piano without any wasted "too high" or "too low" notes. I love my Triton 76, but I have to think of it as a synth keyboard with extra notes at the top and bottom. It's nice to have more play room for splits, but I'm often reaching for a low D or C that's not there. Especially if I have to cover left hand bass.

Also, I'd love to see Tom Oberheim get his name back from Gibson and release something like "Virtual OB" as a soft synth. Something that could model everything from the SEM-based synths to a Matrix 12. And for goodness sakes, don't let Viscount make it! :eek:

Occasionally I see a guy named Alan R. Pearlman selling used synths on Ebay, with detailed descriptions. Is this the same A.R.P. who designed all those cool synths back in the `70's? He's alive and well? C'mon, Alan. How 'bout a virtual ARP 2600? Better yet, how about a real one! Bob re-issued the Minimoog. You gonna let him beat you again ? :D

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

hey, some good ones here.

i've played but never owned a K, but "Kurzbits" is excellent.

felix, you mentioned a drum machine based on the alesis dm-20, do you mean the 20-bit "dm-pro"? if so, I LIKE! make sure you give it velocity-sens pads, and try to keep some trigger inputs- lets say 4 of 'em.

the electribe w/ keyboard sounds good, too. how about combining all of the electribes with the keyboard, all knobs transmit cc's, add multiple midi and usb, transport controls, and an audio interface. i'll pay up to $800. :D

Originally posted by Bucktunes:

Or because they need to reach the low A or high C. I know Dave has disagreed with me on this, but I still think a 76 could better stand in for an 88 if it had an A to C keyboard. An octave switch would give it the full range of the piano without any wasted "too high" or "too low" notes. , but I'm often reaching for a low D or C that's not there.

Yeah, I agree, Steve. I miss the low notes much more than I would the high notes. I would definetly live with a 76 key controller organized a little differently, with more low keys and less high keys.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

Originally posted by CoolColJ:

The only no brainer IMO is a soft Wavestation.

but I prefer analog filters, so it would have to be a hardware box :)

Michael Kleps is finishing up a software "SuperWavestation" as we speak, should be out within a matter of weeks. You can listen to mp3 samples here-

http://www.refx.net/products/Nexus.php4

as far as analog filters, just run a softsynth out through an analog filter- the noise added isn't any more than with hardware (and dramatically less than some hardware) and basically what's the difference with this than with any digital synth that's going D/A >>> FX/Mixing >>> A/D? Because unless you're going some kind of digital out from the synth there's got to be a D/A process in there. And filter sweeps rule. :)

-CB

I must say those soundbites sure sound awfuly familiar! :)

hopefully without the WS's awful aliasing :D

The problem with running out to an analog filter is that its a global filter and not individual filters per voice. Well even VA filters are better than what the WS offered!

Originally posted by Guerillatheater:

the Ensoniq ZR-76 is 76 keys and weighted, it's a really great board too, and it's selling at about $800-$900 right now.

Right. It's a synth, though. I mentioned controller :) . Or at least a digital piano. I really don't need all the xtra features. Seems to be too cheap a price though... is this price for a new one?

I've always hated the weighted action of the ensoniqs anyways.

MBP-LOGIC

Originally posted by CoolColJ:

I must say those soundbites sure sound awfuly familiar! :)

hopefully without the WS's awful aliasing :D

The problem with running out to an analog filter is that its a global filter and not individual filters per voice. Well even VA filters are better than what the WS offered!

Yes that's just for a global filter- I take the "many monosynths" approach, so it's a good option for me but obviously doesn't apply to a lot of uses. So in this case my answer was really more smartass than smart, sorry.

Baby Andromeda desktop/rackmount has already been mentioned many times before as a no-brainer product, so I won't mention it again. Whoops, just did, hehe.

-CB

A Nord Modular update with external CV patching. I would love the ability to patch external oscillators and filters to this unit, even if it restricts it to mono. You can fake this by using a MIDI -> CV converter but I would hope that direct connection without MIDI would reduce slop and lag.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Ehi, this is a great thread!

Originally posted by Rod CA:

a 76 key WEIGHTED controller. I don't need the 88 keys, but I need a weighted controller. Maybe there's not market for it, given the limited market for the 76 key synths... but, I still think a lot people go with the 88 key controllers just because they want the weighted keys and not necessarily all the keys :)

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AAAAHHH!!!

Yamaha, are you listening - can I have one with the P80 action, please, PLEASE?! And weighting as little as possible... PLEASE!

The soft Kurz is a great idea.

CoolCoolJ, if you think the Wavestation has aliasing, you should try a PPG Wave 2.2 :)

Archived